Build #2 - 36x48 shop

Started by Alan Gage, September 29, 2013, 08:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

Wanted to build this last year and didn't think it would happen this year either but late in the summer I finally got a start. It's going to be a rush trying to get it buttoned up for winter but it's going well so far.

Doing a shallow frost protected foundation. Excavated it with my dad's tractor. What a handy tool to have around!

IMG_0305 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

Took a lot more fill than I expected, about 300 tons.

It took about 1 1/2 weeks from the time I was ready for concrete to the final pour being done. Felt so good to finally have that finished.

IMG_0326 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

Didn't get a picture but there's 4" of foam under the slab.

Worked hard all weekend and got 4 walls put up. Finally felt like I was making forward progress again.

IMG_0328 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

Spent the week getting ready to set trusses this weekend. We tipped one up in the middle of the week just to make sure it was going to be doable for 4 people to handle. Went up pretty well. PUt these 1x2 spacers on the top plate to use as stops for the trusses. I also built a whole bunch of spacers/braces for the trusses during the week. Cut a 2x4 to 22 1/2" long and stapled a 26" 1x4 on top of that. So when we tipped up a truss all we had to do was put the 2x4 in between the trusses and nail through the 1x4 for proper spacing. They worked out great.

IMG_0330 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

My dad and a couple other guys showed up this afternoon and after a few we had a good system down for setting the trusses. We worked hard and got them done in time for supper. Feels great!

IMG_0333 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

We built a platform on the loader bucket to support the center of the truss. We carried them in upside down, got the tails up on the walls, and then helped steady them with forked sticks as we tipped them to horizontal with the loader platform. This kept it well supported while we pushed it up fully vertical with the forked sticks. The other tractor has a platform built onto the back that came in very handy. The first truss tail was easy to get on the wall. For the second one we'd put the big strong guy up in the cage, hand the truss up to him and he'd place the other tale on the top plate. 12' sidewalls made this all a little interesting but no one got hurt and no trusses were broken. A good day!

IMG_0336 by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

I know from the pics it doesn't look like there's much bracing but there's quite a bit hidden up there in the webbing. It's pretty solid and sheathing begins tomorrow.

Alan

Windpower

Great job on the trusses the look to be aligned perfectly

The trusses fom my project came from Iowa -- can't remember the town right off

sure make roof framing go fast

[cool]
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Alan Gage

Thanks. I'd originally wanted to hand frame the roof just because I always wanted to try it and I wouldn't need to wrangle so many people up like I do to set trusses. But the more I planned it out the wider the building got and trusses just made more sense.

There's a company just south of us in Graettinger called EPS that makes trusses. Saw a picture the other day of some 100 footers they shipped out. I got mine from our local lumber yard though and they order them out of Mankato, MN.

Alan

Alan Gage

It hasn't rained all summer and then suddenly they were calling for a few days of it at the end of the week. Thankfully it's been slow at work this week so I started taking off early when I could to try and get the roof sheathed before it hits. Got the tails of the trusses trimmed up and the fascia boards on early in the week and then just when I thought I was ready to start sheathing I realized that my trusses seemed to have taken a set from the lumpy ground they'd been laying on and were a bit wonky. So I had to spend an afternoon crawling around in the webbing knocking off the braces there were there, getting them plumb at the peak, and then re-bracing. Pulled the top cord into line as I worked my way up the roof with the sheathing.

Got one side nearly done on Wednesday. Finished that side and got about half of the other side done on Thursday before a quick downpour came out of nowhere around sunset and chased me off the roof. I thought that was my last chance but although it looked like it could start raining at any time all day today it held off and I snuck out of work around 2:30 and finished the sheathing and got the synthetic underlayment on with no time to spare. All the strips were down and I was just going back to fill in the extra plastic capped staples and was on the last piece when it started to sprinkle and then rain pretty hard just as I was jumping off the roof. It felt great to be able to haul all my equipment inside and be dry!

Also a relief to know the extra strength that comes from having the roof sheathed with 35-40 mph gusts called for on Saturday.

Alan

Alan Gage

Roof steel is on. What a great feeling! My dad came out today to give me a hand and it went much faster than I expected, took 1 hour per side to get the steel up. Then another 2 1/2 hours after he left to put in the rest of the screws. Still need to put on the ridge cap and rake trim. After that I think I'll switch to the inside for a while and get the doors in, a heat source, and insulation. Then if the weather stays nice I'll go back to working outside and finish the rest up in the spring.

Alan

Alan Gage

Need to get some more pictures posted. Soffit is partially finished. Ceiling is up. Attic and walls are insulated and I'm about 1/2 way done with inside liner steel. Hopefully I can get that finished up over the next couple evenings and then clean up the shop a bit before the weekend.

We're fighting winter now with some snow on the ground. Supposed to warm back up into the 40's for this weekend though and I have a lot to get done outside. Trench has been dug for the electrical but I need to run the conduit/wire and install the panel. If it's not too muddy I've got to get the dirt graded around the building and get a spot leveled off for the propane tank to be delivered and setup. 18x10 garage door showed up yesterday and I need to get it put up this weekend before it gets cold again. I've got my overhead tube heater bought and partially assembled on the floor, that needs to go up this weekend too. Also need to install the rest of the housewrap and finish soffits. We'll see how much I actually get done by Monday.

Alan

Alan Gage

It was a good weekend. Not even close to getting everything done that I need to but I got a couple big things I've been sweating checked off the list. Laid about 160 feet of 2" conduit and pulled the cable through (two 4/0, one 2/0, and one #6 ground). Also got the garage door installed, which is nice since I woke up to a fresh dusting of snow this morning. Did some little things and cleanup as well. A few days of cold and then back into the 40's later this week so hopefully another good weekend for working coming up.

Alan