Oklahoma 16X20 Finally!

Started by AB5CC, November 29, 2011, 11:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB5CC

After a wildfire October 2010 which burned up my deck and some of my materials, I have finally made some progress on the cabin.  The land is flat and very sandy with rock down a few feet.  Even though I bought the 14X24 plans, I opted to go with 16X20 with 2X10 floor joists instead of the post and beam foundation.  I had 3 very good friends who all took a week vacation to come help me get it in the dry.  I returned 2 more times to get the metal siding on.  Still need to finish the gable ends and the inside.

AB5CC

Stapling aluminum sheets onto joists. (Recycled from the newspaper printing press $0.50 each)

Decking going on

Walls going up

David standing on loft floor

Rafters going up

Roof decking going on

Decking complete

12/12 sounded like a good idea on paper!

Really giving 12/12 pitch some second thoughts...this is me with my harness on.

more roofing felt

Tin going on

Don't do it this way

Front in the dry

East view

South view

Inside view of rear loft

inside view of front loft

Front door

Metal siding

Rear view with siding on

ScottA

Looks like you got lots of hard work done nice Job.  ;D

keyjoy

Looks Great!!!
We are using the aluminum plates from a print plant  also but stapling them underneath the joists to protect  the insulation and keep varmints out. A lot cheaper than hardware cloth!! We used them as roofing on our toolshed and they have held up and kept it dry for several years.

AB5CC

Keyjoy, I considered putting them under, but with my use of the deck blocks in the foundation, I couldn't get a completely tight seal.  I was afraid I would be creating a varmint condo under the floor.  These sheets are a great resource for flashing, etc.  I have seen a garage where the fellow cleaned them and crimped them in a siding brake press and used them for siding. It is beautiful.

AB5CC

Somehow, my first attempt at loading photos produced very small photos. Here are a few in larger format, I hope!

AB5CC

Here are some photos of my land in the S.E. Oklahoma hills.

Sassy

Great friends!  Very nice,  beautiful scenery...   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

duncanshannon

very nice!  beautiful land/views!

how much land do you have?

are you just using blocks for the foundation? 

given you go to dried in in a week... you must really know what you are talking about!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

AB5CC

Yes, only blocks for the foundation. 2x10 lumber with a block every 4 feet plus support down the middle to make sure the floor was not springy.  The soil is very sandy with rock substrate,  and being in the south, I wasn't worried a out frost heave.  The neighbor has a magnificent cabin that is just sitting on regular concrete blocks with no pads. I have pads and deck blocks for a pretty large footprint.

We have 5 acres.  I am not much of a carpenter, I just had a plan. One of my friends is a self professed "wood butcher" who was a framer for a large housing developer in Dallas, one was a physicist for Lockheed who grew up helping his dad who was a trim carpenter and cabinet maker. He keeps his skills up by volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. The other guy is a jack of all trades.  I just tried to keep the lumber coming so they could stay on task. When it came to the roof, they all refused to get on the 12/12 roof, so I did it all. We had it in the dry in 5 days. Spent the 6 TH day cleaning up.

CjAl

the foundation blocks are pretty much the norm around here in east tx. i found some very large ones recyled from a 100yr old mill that they tore down. i am considering buying them for $25ea but i dont know how to attach the beams to them. the original builing must have just been sitting on them.

you sure have some nice views there.

AB5CC

The views make the drive worthwhile.  17 miles from the highway and the last 12 miles are dirt road.  6 miles to the nearest electricity.  1.25 hours to the nearest store.   Logistics become important.  2.25 hours to the nearest Lowe's.  I better have everything I need when I leave home!

Gary O

Quote from: AB5CC on December 04, 2011, 09:16:08 AM
  2.25 hours to the nearest Lowe's.  I better have everything I need when I leave home!

Yup, checking the list twice is a must.
This is a fun thread to watch.
Great progress.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

AB5CC

Went back up to the land Saturday with my wife. Needed to get an inventory of materials that I still have stored in the cabin.  Also, raked leaves and pine needles back from the cabin for a 10 foot radius.  Then, I raked all the piles onto a tarp which I dragged over to the cliff and dumped.  We also brought the 10000BTU kerosene heater and checked what it will do in healing the cabin with no insulation installed yet.  It worked quite well but it rattled so bad on the trip up that I just left it in the cabin.  Planning to go back for 4 days on 12/30 to wire and insulate.  Didn't take any photos this time.

AB5CC

Well, we made the planned trip 12/30. We got everything on the list accomplished!  My parents, both in their 70s came for the first night. My dad helped me get the tin on the gable ends and my grandson helped with the wiring and insulation.  Since the cabin is off grid and will never be on the grid since the closest electricity is at least 6 miles away, I used a manual transfer switch for the breaker box. It has 2 breakers connected by a rod that turns one on when the other is engaged. I will use it to switch between inverter and generator.  I ran armor flex cable out the wall plate and 20 feet away to the generator. I have the batteries and inverter, but am not ready to install it.   Here are some photos from the trip.

AB5CC

Thought I would give an update on the cabin project and upload some new photos.  It has been 11 months since my last post.  We have been working steadily and have had a few setbacks.  A 60 foot pine tree fell and broke the front overhang, front window, and ruined 2 sheets of the roof tin.  I got it all repaired like new.

We got the wood heater installed and slept comfortably with 26 degrees outside.  Finished the Sheetrock and texture and got mini blinds hung.  Pine bark beetles are taking a toll, but fortunately there are hickory and oak trees for shade on our mountain.