SWAT team called in over landscaping flap

Started by Bishopknight, July 08, 2009, 08:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

This makes me glad I don't live in the suburbs anymore. No ones going to tell me to mow my lawn where I'm building.  There's something really wrong about the attitudes of the neighbors.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10651525

NM_Shooter

I think I've been on both sides of this story...

I lived in Houston in a neighborhood with landscape Nazis.  We had St. Augustine grass that put out horrible runners.  I had to mow my lawn twice a week just to keep up.  If your runners went over the curb at all, you'd get a note from the property owner's association to clean it up or be fined.  It was pretty damn annoying, but I do have to admit, the neighborhood looked nice.  I also re-landscaped my front yard without knowing I had to get "permission" first, and I had somebody come over and nag me about it.  But the bottom line was that I moved into the neighborhood and when I signed on the bottom line I acknowledged the deed restrictions.

I also now have a rich neighbor who does not give a crap about disrupting the neighborhood.  He has a large stadium spotlight on his property line that illuminates the whole neighborhood, and is pointing down on me (basketball light).  The light is in direct violation of the village ordinances, but the village won't do anything about it.  He also has a chipping / putting green on another corner of his property that is next to my driveway.  I find golf balls in my drive all the time.  Had a nasty dent once (was next to my car when it happened).  I went over to complain to him, and his wife told me that if I didn't park in my driveway, it would not be a problem  ;D

I usually have a basic principle about neighbors.  I don't care what they do, as long as their noxious emissions don't leave their property, and they live by the rules they signed up for.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Don_P

One new neighbor up on the mountain put in one of those dusk to dawn lights. I'm guessing it was a 12 guage dimmer installation  ::).

diyfrank

Some people will do everything the hard way.. ::)
Home is where you make it

bayview

Nice picture of Mr. Rhymes . . .

Mr. Rhymes lives in an area with a homeowners association.  He ignored the notice to maintain his lawn.  Appropriate steps where taken after he received a 5 day notice to abide by the rules. {The city was going to mow the lawn)  He was given choices, but decided to ignore them.

He over reacted when he came out with a shotgun.

He should move to an area where he can be comfortable with others like himself.  Maybe, a front lawn with a couple of cars on blocks and beer cans in the driveway.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on July 08, 2009, 10:01:31 AM
I think I've been on both sides of this story...

I lived in Houston in a neighborhood with landscape Nazis.  We had St. Augustine grass that put out horrible runners.  I had to mow my lawn twice a week just to keep up.  If your runners went over the curb at all, you'd get a note from the property owner's association to clean it up or be fined.  It was pretty damn annoying, but I do have to admit, the neighborhood looked nice.  I also re-landscaped my front yard without knowing I had to get "permission" first, and I had somebody come over and nag me about it.  But the bottom line was that I moved into the neighborhood and when I signed on the bottom line I acknowledged the deed restrictions.

I also now have a rich neighbor who does not give a crap about disrupting the neighborhood.  He has a large stadium spotlight on his property line that illuminates the whole neighborhood, and is pointing down on me (basketball light).  The light is in direct violation of the village ordinances, but the village won't do anything about it.  He also has a chipping / putting green on another corner of his property that is next to my driveway.  I find golf balls in my drive all the time.  Had a nasty dent once (was next to my car when it happened).  I went over to complain to him, and his wife told me that if I didn't park in my driveway, it would not be a problem  ;D

I usually have a basic principle about neighbors.  I don't care what they do, as long as their noxious emissions don't leave their property, and they live by the rules they signed up for.

I have to agree with you NM. I also couldn't and wouldn't live in an area with a property owners association.
I'm one of those neighbors from hell (Burb house) but the simple fact is, the area grew up around me. I didn't move into a neighborhood.

A few years ago I had a neighbor complain about how much equipment I had in my yard. I asked him if he could show me the letter where I asked him yto build there. He called the cops and I told him the same thing. The Deputy said "a lot of your neighbors don't like you"....My reply was "Good, now you don't like me either, get the hell off my property" Thankfully the ahole moved when he found out I was grandfathered and could do pretty much as I pleased.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Yeah... the newest neighbors are always the worst.

I belong to a gun club (Del Norte Gun Club) that had a patent on 40 acres which were to be used as a gun range.  This range had been in place since before the Vietnam war, and used by the national guard.  Nobody lived near there.  Over the next 40 years, houses sprung up, and got closer to the range. 

Then the residents started to complain about the noise and "risk" in spite of the fact that they knew the range was there when they moved in.  We were hit with a nuisance suit to close down.  Historically, no nuisance suit has ever been effective against a range, but they end up bankrupting the club with legal costs.

One of our members is a clever devil though.  He went to the state, and told them that we would release the patent on the land in exchange for half of the property with a clear deed.  The state said yes.  Our 20 acres on the highway sold for $1.6M, which we took way out west and bought a section of land for a new club site.  http://www.delnortegunclub.com/

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

ScottA

I'm glad I don't have any neighbors like that. Around here if you lawyer up you better keep a fire truck parked in your driveway.