Looks Like Chicken

Started by BiggKidd, April 30, 2008, 10:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiggKidd

(s) are in our future. My wife saw some on craigs list last night and has been bugging me since. We were planning to have animals after we move out to Lunenburg. But it looks like we will have the chickens first.  d* Tonight we saw a small dog pen on CL and I went and got it. Its 4x4x6 and we have a very small tool shed that can turn into a coop. Its just three sided but I will place the pen right in front tight to it. When we are home they can roam the fenced yard and when were gone I can lock them in the coop / pen. I get the added benefit of good garden fertilizer.  :)

Looks like our farm is starting early.  [cool] c* [cool] Know anything about chickens?

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Larry, you put food in one end and eggs come out the other.  If it doesn't have a shell it's probably not an egg.  (Try the scratch and sniff test.) hmm

If you never get an egg with a shell and it makes real loud noises in the morning, it may be a Rooster.

That's about all I know.. -- oh yeah... Bears might try to eat them.  [crz]

Hope that was of help. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

bears eat chickens... that would be cool to watch

I thought it was the coyotes that the chickens had to look out for

peternap

I've thought about that also Larry, but put it on the back burner since I'm not there all the time. It will need some creative thought but it can be done. I also think it's a damn good idea. Looking at the FED report today, eggs have gone up 35% and they expect all food to double this summer.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

A bear broke into our pen twice.  Ate guineas, chickens and a duck? as I (almost) recall. 

The corporations, from oil to food have us by the short hair now, peter.  I think your prediction is a very likely possible reality.  They have given our jobs to illegals and sent the rest overseas.  What is it they want? hmm

More takers on starting a garden yet?  It could be a great investment.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Larry just get the darn chickens and go ahead and start.  You'll appreciated those eggs soon enough!  I paid $2.38 a dozen for them yesterday at the store!  WHEW!  I miss our chickens and will be so glad when we can have them again.

NM_Shooter

Chicks or chickens, Larry?

I've been reading a lot... looks like they tend to produce the most eggs their first year, then slow down after a molt.  But they still yeild well into maturity.  I feel like I now have a production facility going in my garage... two pens now, as I picked up a second batch of chicks and the older ones did not appreciate the little ones in their pen. 

If you are getting chicks, I have had really good success with grinding up their feed before giving it to them.  Makes them grow even faster, and you can cut down or eliminate feed grit too. 

Here's Laverne the day after we bought her:

Here she is 9 days later.  The growth rate is incredible. 

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Sassy

A beauty, Shooter!  I guess we should get some more...  HG, I can't believe how expensive eggs have gotten.  The trouble we had, was too many eggs - we gave a lot away - the people at work were always asking me for them & asking how much - I'd just tell them that if they wanted to donate towards the cause, they could...  that worked pretty good.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Some years my dad and stepmom have trouble finding people to take all their eggs... we just always ate a LOT of eggs all summer!  Cheap protein, and good for you too.

gandalfthegrey

I used to get eggs at the "egg farm"  just a mile  away.  (wholesale).  A couple of years ago their insurance said they would drop them if they did not quit allowing outsiders on thier property.  ( this was during the "bird flu) scare.  ??? Anyway now we have to buy from the market.  :(   >:(
Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

That reinforces my theory that insurance companies suck. heh

BiggKidd

Hi All,

Boy this little thread is going strong. Thanks for all the great info. Lots to learn. Well after working in Chesapeak today over 100 miles from home. We went over and got the chickens. The lady didn't know what kind they are though so I am hoping you can help tell me. I have no idea.

Click pic for full size.

Pair 1

Pair 2

Pair 3

We found them on craigslist and also this dog pen we are turning into a temporary pen / coop area. The chickens a bag of feed and bedding for $20 and the pen free.

Heres where they have been living

and this is their new home till I get something better built.

Now its time to rustle up some dinner. I'll check back later.

Thanks
Larry

Larry

glenn kangiser

Just a guess but the top ones look like Rhode Island Reds.

Sassy

the 2nd one looks like a buff orpinton & the last maybe barred rocks?   ???

We raised our chickens, ducks, guinea hens & turkeys in dog carriers to start out with... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

BiggKidd

Glenn & Sassy,

Thanks thats more than I knew.

Glenn,

I thought the eggs without shells were pre scrambled. :)

Larry

Larry

glenn kangiser

Ahmmmm -- finger food, Larry.  Have another beer. ;D

BTW people, your chickens need scratch as a supplement or to be able to get to the ground to have the stones, sand and shells they need for their gizzards to grind their food.  The shells in scratch help with making their egg shells too.

...or somewhat nearly correct I think.

Them thar chickens don't got no teeth.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Not sure what kind they are, but I would guess Rhode Islands on the red ones.   Have to wait until they grow up.  You might go to Cackle Hatchery's website and compare the pictures of the day old chicks with the pictures of the adult chickens so that you have a better idea... they usually have a lot of good information as to what kind of foragers they are and what kind/how many eggs they'll lay. 

BiggKidd

Larry