Food for thought- Building extreme hunger

Started by benevolance, April 05, 2006, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anjul

BBQ'd Beans

3 cans of Showboat Pork n beans, DRAINED and RINSED in a colander.
8 or 9 slices thick sliced bacon, cut into 3" pieces (or so)
3 links of sausage, sliced thin
1 whole onion, diced
1 whole bell pepper, diced
Brown sugar (about ¾ cup)
Maple syrup (about 1 cup, any brand)
½ to 1 whole bottle of Honey or Hickory BBQ sauce (any brand, doesn't matter)
Worchester sauce (about 4 Tablespoons)
Mustard (about 3 tablespoons)

MOST IMPORTANT:  DRAIN BEANS IN A COLANDER, THEN RINSE THEM.  RINSE ALL THE TOMATO SAUCE OFF OF THEM AND LET THEM DRAIN (ALMOST DRY).

Fry sausage and bacon with bell pepper and onion over med-high heat.  Add brown sugar and let it melt down, then add Worchester sauce and mustard.  Let it cook until it bubbles, then add syrup, and bbq sauce.  Let it boil.

Add beans to mixture, stir, and remove from heat.  Put in oven preheated to 350 degrees.  Cook until it is bubbly, let it cook for another 30 minutes or so, cut off oven, and leave in oven to stay warm.

Done!

This is my original recipe...... because no one in my family cooks except ME..... I learned to cook at the age of 10 for a five-people household as a means of survival....... lol.

Anjul
Best friends share pasta.

Amanda_931

I was wondering if you meant to rinse the pork and beans (Yes, and for pretty good reasons!).

Last night was smoothie night at a regular pot-luck dinner.

With a hand-cranked blender, which meant that more people tried it just because it was fun and noisy.

Roughly equal quantities of yoghurt, pineapple juice, and fruit (bananas and/or canteloupe).

One of these day's I'll make teriyaki catfish again. (works for chicken too, or beef or....)

mashed garlic until you're quite sure that you've put in enough, green ginger, ditto, shoyu--tamari should be wheat-free, by the way--and maybe pineapple juice--or wine or bourbon or...--to make enough of a marianade to soak the fish filets in, soak for 15 minutes to half an hour, grill on the stove or over charcoal or gas.

Ginger is very good for cutting muddy tastes of things like catfish.

Do not use the bottled teriyaki sauces for this.  For starters they're sauces.  And the ones I've encountered I hated.

Sassy

Talking about smoothies - I make a very simple one before I go to work.   Measurements?  Most would be to taste...

non-fat organic non-sweetened yogurt (I can't tell the difference from the other kind in a smoothie)

frozen fruit (I cut up & freeze the nectarines from our tree every year with a little bit of sugar & fruit fresh) or you can freeze bananas, buy frozen fruit (I get organic blueberries, boysenberries etc at Trader Joe's for a reasonable price)

vanilla & honey

Mix in a blender - you can add ice if you want - you'll need to if you use fresh fruit

These taste really rich & yummie!  

PS - you can also use the yogurt in a fruit salad - we can't tell the difference from using sour cream or whipping cream - add a little honey to make it sweeter & some vanilla.   I mix fresh strawberries in it all the time.

Low fat, organic, good for you!  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jochen

Quote(lots of times I use non-fat organic yogurt because it gives the same flavor but not the calories

Sassy, can you please explain what calories are???  ;)

Jochen

Sassy

Jochen, that's not fair!  If you don't know what calories are, you probably have never had to watch how many you ate!  :-/  I haven't been so blessed, although was always active in sports - swim team, tennis team, racquetball, snow & water skiing, aerobics, weight training, you name it - not to mention ballet... besides, my parents never drove us anywhere, we had to ride our bikes or walk & now running up & down the mountainside at our cabin... you would think I'd be skin & bones - not so...  :'(  

Where did that rant come from???  :-/  Sometimes, life is not fair...  ;)  Sassy
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jimmy C.

I eat way too much of this at the build site..

It might just be a Suthun' Thang!

http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=24695

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Amanda_931

That or Vienna Sausages!

Or even Beanie Wienie.

I like junk food at least as well as the next person (gummy bears, Hardees curly fries, super Sonic jalapeno cheeseburger with onion rings!, or even a baloney sandwich at the store between here and Lawrenceburg)  But those?  I'd have to be awfully hungry.

Billy Bob

I dunno, Jimmy.  I have to side with Amanda on that one.  I do keep a couple cans in the camper for emergencies, 'cause it would have to be an emergency before I'd eat one,  and I eat some stuff lots of folks make the "eeeww" noise about  (ever had scrapple, fer instance?)  I think it's too much like some of the mystery meat in "C" rats. [smiley=tongue.gif]
I gotta say, I filled in stocking shelves at a Wal-Mart over the winter, and they went through about a bazillion cans of the stuff, in seven or eight different brands and configurations (low salt potted meat product, anyone?)
I think even haggis is better.
Bill

bartholomew

At least they tell you it's "food".... kind of hard to tell otherwise. Though if I had to be told it was "food", I probably wouldn't eat it.

glenn kangiser

The first loud crackle tastes and feels like popcorn, but by the time the juices spray wildly in your mouth and the filament-like legs slide down your throat, there's no mistaking this toasted ant queen.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060812/ap_on_sc/apn_edible_ants

Hungry?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

ShawnaJ

Since I live on the SE South Carolina coast, anything to do with shrimp, because it's free, we just have to go throw out a net.

Shrimp Boil is the favorite....

Huge pot on a outdoor gas cooker, about 1/2 full of water, pour in a can Old Bay, 1/2 shaker of Luzianne Cajun seasoning, using the basket put in enough pototoes and corn on the cob for everyone to at least have one, a couple of onions, a couple of lemons cut in half, pour in a couple cans of beer, and let it cook for about 15 minutes on a good boil. Throw in 3-4 pounds of shrimp with the heads on, cook until shrimp turn pink. Pull up the basket and drain, separate the potatoes and corn, pour the shrimp into a cooler of ice to cool for about 10 minutes

Pour the whole mess out onto the picnic table and pig out....

Down here they add sausage but I don't care for the grease it adds to the whole mess.

Then there's the blue crabs.......

Amanda_931

Small kid time, we used to vacation on the North Carolina coast, made sure we had a net and something to tie on a line to use for bait for crabs.  

Lean over a (low) bridge or pier, dangle the bait, try to scoop up the crabs when they explored it.

glenn kangiser

I used to get crabs, but haven't done it for years. :)

PS:  Kathy and I got crabs in Louisiana --

Soft shelled blue ones deep fried - you eat the skin and all --from lake Ponchartrain.  They were good. :o

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteI used to get crabs, but haven't done it for years. :)

PS:  Kathy and I got crabs in Louisiana --

Nothin to brag about Glenn, get-in crabs ::) Jeesh and ya gaveum to yer wife  :o   N/O is a great place to get um. Hoy  vey ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

My misteak PEG -- leaving myself open like that --- what was I thinking ----  :-/ :)

I meant I got them on the dock in Lincoln City, Oregon.  

My wife likes em.  We both had them sititng at the table at the family reunion -- in fact most of the family that was there that day had them.  We like to share with each other.  My aunt gave them to all of us.  A friend gave them to her. :)

PS: She was going to give them to my uncle, but he was out with the cattle so he didn't get any. :(

glenn kangiser

Doing an internet search somehow reminded me of something my mom made one time.

Scrapple.

Here is a link to an article with more recipes.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

Culinary Sleuth

Philadelphia Scrapple

2 pounds pork shoulder (or pork butt)
1 whole fresh pork hock
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon sage
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper

Cut up pork shoulder (butt) into 2 inch chunks. Place the pork chunks, pork hock, sage and cayenne in a stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for about 2 to 3 hours or until meat falls apart. Drain and reserve stock.

Pull meat from bone and chop all the meat with a knife or food processor, being careful not to grind it too fine. Set aside.

Measure 5 cups of stock and return to pot. Bring it to a simmer; add meat, cornmeal, salt and peppers, and stir constantly until thick and smooth, about 15 to 30 minutes.

Pour mixture into 2 loaf pans and refrigerate until completely chilled. Un-mold scrapple. Slice and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides.

Makes 12 servings.

#

Nutritional information per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat; 15 g protein; 18 g carbohydrates; 54 mg cholesterol; 583 mg sodium.

(Recipe courtesy Bette's Oceanview Diner.)

T

Ah speaking of Pork... Fall.... and the scent of a wood smoker...  

If you have any pulled pork or sausage left over try an ABT (Atomic Buffalo T*rd). Basically its is a jalapeno pepper, cut in half length-wise that is hollowed out. If you want it spicy, you leave in some seed and webbing (adjust to preference). Then stuff them with cream cheese mixed with left over cooked sausage, pulled pork even  meat-balls etc works.. Once you stuff the jalapeno pepper, wrap a bacon slice around it pinning it with a tooth-pick. Place them on an aluminum disposable pizza sheet (poke a few holes all over the sheet) Then charcoal grill (add a little hickory to taste). Grill until the bacon is crispy (low and slow /covered). I have done them in a oven as well at around 350. They are not nearly as hot as you would think and have very little "morning after" effect.
regards,
T

benevolance

Never really had pulled pork until I moved to the south...

The atomic buffalo turds sound great....

I miss bringing home the slaughtered pigs...We would always throw fresh chops on the woodstove in the kitchen and have a big feed....Always unbelievably delicious...

That first big feed of fresh never frozen pork was always my favorite...Right about this time of year too... :-/

At least I am going home for Christmas.... :)

glenn kangiser

That really sounds good, T.  I would suggest eating a large bowl of ice cream after that though.  The day after eating a bunch of those I'd probably be going--"Come on, ice cream." :-/

benevolance

that reminds me of the cheech and chong movie where he is in the bathroom chanting "come on ice cream...."

Prep H is a miracle cream Glenn....I hate medicine... but dude without that I would die

glenn kangiser

I tried it once -- didn't like it--- left my toothbrush very greasy feeling and tastes terrible. :-/ :P

benevolance

;D

That would suck...Get all drunked up and be hung over in the morning . Stumble into the bathroom, try to brush your teeth half asleep with your eyes all glazed over...And squeeze the toothbrush full of prep H...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

jwv

Emeril's Red Beans and Rice

1 pound dried red beans, rinsed and sorted over
3 tablespoons bacon grease
1/4 cup chopped tasso, or chopped ham
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1/2 pound smoked sausage, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound smoked ham hocks
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
10 cups chicken stock, or water
4 cups cooked white rice
1/4 cup chopped green onions, garnish

Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add the tasso and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the grease in the pot. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the bay leaves, parsley, thyme, sausage, and ham hocks, and cook, stirring, to brown the sausage and ham hocks, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and stock or water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken, about 2 hours. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.)
Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.

This is a great recipe-I like to use andouille sausage. And of course it's one of those that you can adjust to youor personal tastes. You can use canned beans, I have.

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

benevolance

That sounds like a good recipe....Excepting for the rice...

I was never much on eating rice....it is in my mind like those little styrofoam peanuts used in packaging.... No taste or smell...Great filler