Food for thought- Building extreme hunger

Started by benevolance, April 05, 2006, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Damper sounds interesting.  I'll have to check it out -- No Lebanese plants showing yet.

The salt is mined and ground in Utah - Rocks and all -- they call them minerals .  Taste great.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Bannock
2 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2  tsp salt
2 - 3 tbsp fat*
3/4 to 1 cup water

* olive or vegetable oil, bacon grease (mmm, a camping trip indulgence), whatever

Mix the dry ingredients together. (save bother, mix at home, carry in a bag ready to go). Add the fat and mix in thoroughly. Gradually add the water (you may not need it all) and mix until the dough is thoroughly dampened, but not sticky. Knead the dough for 30 seconds. Flatten the dough to 1/2" thick. Cut into 8 pieces, and fry in a greased frying pan, each side, till not sticky in the middle (poke with stick or knife).

Some folks add/substitute a portion of oatmeal. Raisins are an interesting addition as well. It's not an exact science. Grated cheese is nice on top. Garlic anyone?

It's southwest Indian Fry Bread under a different name. Probably made all round the world.

MountainDon (ex-patriot Canajun)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

benevolance

the wife and I have decided on how we will cook the fish if we catch it...

One meal will be baked Trout on the fire...

Clean 4-5 small trout...10-12 inches long
inside the trout place a pat of butter, salt pepper, diced onion, squeeze half a lemon...

Cover outside of fish with lemon pepper Wrap in tinfoil 2 layers... Throw it on the fire... turn after a minute or 2... 2 rotations on each side and it should be baked...

Unwrap and then remove skeleton..Flesh should separate from bones which will be intact when cooked fully

And then we would like to make a Fish Stew

poured over dozens of recipes on the net....Found that we both want a potatoe based fish stew...

6 medium size potatoes
2-3 pounds of fish cut up
1 large Onion
3 cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup Cilantro
1/2 cup parsley
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of black pepper
Crushed red Chili peppers to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
6 cups of water
just a dab of worcestershire  sauce
6 oz of dry pasta...we like wholewheat rotini

1. Put olive oil in pan with onions and garlic... sautee for 5 mins
2. add water Cubed potatoes, parsley and cilantro..Boil and then simmer roughly 5-10 minutes. depending on how large or small the potatoes are cut up

3. Add everything else save the pasta....let it cook for about 10 minutes
4. add pasta and let it cook for another 8 minutes or so

I guess the third night we will just have the good ole fashioned favorite...Pan fried trout with butter pepper and onions...mmmmm

I am going to be so bummed out if there are no fish caught...*LOL*

glenn kangiser

[size=20]Confucius say -- a fish in the hand is worth 2 in the brook. [/size] ;D

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

I thought it was  a bird in the bush is worth two in the hand
;)

benevolance

Hey guys

Got home survived the wilderness....I will try to get some pics developed from the kayaking trip....

Mount Katahdin is amazing!

glenn kangiser

benevolance

yeah lots of fish.... Not many big ones though...The fishing was steady...80 of your casts were bites or fish caught.... So lots of fish...

we had fish 3 nights in a row for supper...Pan fried with potatoes one night...Wrapped in tinfoil with onion and spices the next and fish stew with potatoes onion and pasta the third night...

Kayaking is hard work when you are not used to it...We came home a day early because we were both physically exhausted...

the lake was over 20 miles long and no way in hell we were kayaking up and down that for another couple of days :o

the island we fished from was maybe a mile or two away and we went there a couple times a day for three days straight...and wow the workout....

kayaks glide through the water amazingly though...

I found out that it is possible to tip one though...trying to unhook the wifes fishing line I fell out of boat....and tipped it over trying to get back in kayak...had to bale the damned thing out in the middle of the lake while i was in the water...

kind of eerie.... out in the middle of the lake that is 150 feet deep... nobody around for miles... only 3 camps on the whole lake...

good time though we want to go back again next year

MountainDon

Hey Peter, glad you caught enough fish to eat.  :)  Tipping a kayak or canoe, as I have done, is frightening for certain. My experience was in only 5 feet of water but at first I had no idea all I had to do was stand up.   :-/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

benevolance

Don

I figured out how to get into kayak after 2 unsuccessful attempts...Go to the back...pull the back tip down and pull yourself up on the back tip...No way the kayak will move a bit with all the water in it from tipping it over...

Then lay on it like a surf board and bail the thing out... took me forever to get it bailed out enough so I could sit in it and paddle without taking water on...

Sidenote:

I learned that a better bailing jug was needed....Today I cut out 2 one gallon plastic containers...The type with the handle in them that is off to the side at the top...... Take the jack knife and cut the bottom out of the jug.. screw on the lid... the chlorox bleach type gallon jugs are the type I am talking about

This leaves you with the handle to the side as the grip for the bail out jug....They work amazing...I had one for my canoe years ago...Never thought to make a couple to take with me to Maine.

My 96 saturn looked hilarious with 2 massive Kayaks on the roof....The People at LL bean that helped duct tape them to the car took pictures as we left...they wanted to keep them for storytime....

We vacationed on a budget so I bought a 100 feet of good rope and a roll of duct tape to mount the kayaks instead of a roof rack that cost a couple hundred dollars.

MountainDon

QuoteMy 96 saturn looked hilarious with 2 massive Kayaks on the roof....The People at LL bean that helped duct tape them to the car took pictures as we left...they wanted to keep them for storytime....
I hope you have a picture you can post here.

Sassy

Yeh, I'd like to see that picture, too!  Glad you had a good time.  Was the water cold in the lake?
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Do you have any pictures of you upside down in the water? ;D

benevolance

lots of pics of the car....and the campsite....None of the boss upside down in the drink though

Did get a roll of film of a moose and some nice wilderness shots of the lake and the mountains

benevolance

Sassy I am from Canada....The water is never cold... :P

the water was lovely for swimming....The campsite Charged $2.00 for showers...I just went to the lake stripped off and scrubbed up...Wife took some pictures of that...I think I will have to remove a few maybe.... :o

Shrinkage I tell you....Shrinkage! ::)

I dove down as far as I could go a few times swimming and 20 feet down the water got pretty chilly yes....But at the surface in shallow coves it was amazing... warm refreshing

Weather was high 70's low 80's....It rained a little...But I had bought a 24 x 20 tarp and I made the campsite waterproof....Hung the tarp in a way that the picnic table and tent were completely high and dry...Made the tarp a pitched tent of sorts so we could function perfectly without getting all wet and nasty...

A word of caution to anyone who might go there....Bug spray is your friend...when it is raining and drizzling the mosquitos will eat you alive....when it is 80 degrees and sunny the horse/mooseflies are terrible...they can bite through a t shirt or pants

being from the north east I knew this....My wife did not!

glenn kangiser

You weren't afraid a big fish would come along looking for a worm? :-?

Sassy

We've been going to the river on the way to Yosemite - Glenn's been gold panning, I've been swimming - the water is like bath water right now - not much rain or snow pack last winter, so water is low.  

When I lived in Washington, some friends had a ski boat - so of course I couldn't pass up a chance to ski  :) - only trouble was, it was February & we were at the ocean... pretty cold!  :o
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

benevolance

Does it get cold on the coast ever in washington.... I have been to Vancouver in the wintertime and they have really mild wet winters... not much snow at the coast... I suspect washington would have it a little better and warmer....

I love the water and though I am not a great swimmer I love to swim just for the hell of it...

Glenn...No fish bit that worm ;)...Pretty awesome to have enough privacy to just strip down and go swimming...I did it a few years ago at the beach in North carolina... even though it was 11 pm on a weeknight there were still dozens of people driving their trucks up the beach and walking dogs etc... no privacy...I had to get the wife to bring the towel out to meet me at the waters edge getting out in the buff....

used to be a guy could strip down and get scrubbed up with some soap at the river or ocean....Now a days they call you a streaker or pervert or something....

I need to get rich quick so I can buy enough shoreline somewhere that nobody can accuse me of flashing them if I want to take a bath in the water sometime...

As kids at the lake where my parents had a cottage we were always stripped down and thrown in the lake to get cleaned up when we went there for the week-end in the summertime.... we later installed a bathroom with a shower and septic.. but until I was 16 it was bathing in the lake at the camp in the summertime....

I would still much rather go to the river or lake for a bath than to draw tap water in the bathroom... Just what I got used to I guess. :-/

fourx

Hey, it might be a long way from anywhere-and upside down- ;) but there are some distinct advantages to livng in a country with only 20 million people that is ringed by some of the best white sand beaches in the world, most of them with no other beachgoers in sight...a sunburnt willie is no laughing matter, though :o
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

That's why you should use the "Tender Timer". Pete.  It pops up when it's hot enough. :-/

Well -- at least it works for turkeys. :-?

benevolance

never burnt the frank and beans....Burnt the tops of my feet teribly once and they swelled like ballons and blistered....

If burning the package hurt worse than that experience I might as for death! :o

glenn kangiser

Sorry, Peter.  I already burned the tops of my feet -- clear down to the meat.  Sprained an ankle so took off the shoes and socks and went fishing while rowing the raft to troll.  Spent much of the day destroying my ability to walk for weeks. :-/

Sunburned them royal fishing at 7260 feet elev.  The sun is much hotter up there - no pollution to block the UV.

benevolance

Glenn

It was several days of no walking for me as well...... They swelled up and water blisters formed on top which were like water balloons sort of... they burst and it was a terrible puss infested mess....slimy peeling skin

Was not a week though....More like about 4 days of crawling around in pain...

I soaked my feet more in those days than I have in my entire life...I would dump a cup of  salt in the wash tub and put my feet in there fll up the tub with cold water....Until my feet looked like prunes.

My then girlfriend was grossed out and would not even look at my feet...

I broke my arm once and it was less painful than burning my feet...took longer for the arm to heal.... but nowhere near the pain

MountainDon

Quote... 7260 feet elev.  The sun is much hotter up there - no pollution to block the UV.
There is more intense UV Radiation (UVR) the higher up you go, mainly because of less atmospheric screening. Crap (officially known as aerosols) in the air helps screen out UVR as well. To that you add cloudless days and your risk goes up for skin cancer. Depending on whose measuring the area of NM where I live and work gets 275 to 310 days of sunshine a year. Turns out there's no official definition of what constitutes a sunny day tho... how many clouds does it take to become "cloudy", etc.

The altitude effect varies from winter to summer, because of the changing angle of the sun. In winter there has been measured a 2.5% increase in in UVR per 1000 feet increase in elevation . In summer this can increase to a 4.5 to 6% increase in UVR per 1000 feet.

(those numbers are thrown in their especially for Glenn. He likes numbers when I report them  ;)

Of course living underground would obviate or at least reduce the concerns about UVR. Living underwater would also increase the screening of UVR, but there is the problem of breathing, unless your water comes in the form of rain as in WA state. Curiously though the state of WA has a higher incidence of skin cancer than NM? Must be that everyone there is either higher or a transplant. Or when the sun does show its face they go crazy and dance around naked worshipping the sun god.  :-/ ;D

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm

glenn kangiser