12x16 Cabin

Started by jstig, February 08, 2006, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstig

I know its not the best use of the loft space but I like the open feeling of having the staggered lofts - both from the lofts and the main floor - besides I dont want to make it too comfy - I might get too many guests!   ;D

Your idea for storage under the cabin is a good one Keyhole - since it will be built on a slope there will be space under it - I wonder what the best way to do it is, tho.  Also might be a place for the pressurized water tank (or whatever its called) for the well - the whole idea of a well and running water has me wondering how to protect the inlet pipe from the well from freezing since this will be built on posts.  Maybe I should dig a shallow well and handpump the water but it would be nice to have running water and a toilet (indoors!!)

Jim

keyholefarmhouse

I've wondered a lot about the same deal.  We have a place thats 100 miles away and is in northern WY.  Currently there is a single wide with all these problems.  Completly winterizing stinks because it's then unusable.

When we build a cabin, I'm leaning heavily towards a full size unfinished basement.  It solves the water, storage, and a lot of other problems.  You can knock your self out with a simple yet extremly flexible water system.  Keep in mind eggres for caveman room.

However, more time and $$$.

Jonesy made reference to cinder block with exterior insulation.  Rigid foam or whatever it is.  I've been flip flopping a lot on this but would guess it's what I really need and will definetly like the most.  

BTW; so will the bank or anyone else if it goes on the market.

keyhole

glenn-k

I think that is the only answer for those of you in the frozen great white north.  I couldn't imagine living where the ground freezes. :-/

Daddymem

Heh, I couldn't imagine living where it doesn't.  ;)

keyholefarmhouse

Whatever happened to Batgirl?   :-*

glenn-k

She's still in Vinyl --------------Keyhole --- you are much too greedy ---- but since you asked nicely I talked her into visiting here.

Bite Me!  Ouch :-/

jstig

Batgirl sure has a way of showing up in the oddest places  but then she is a SUPER HERO   ::)

Glen, here is what you are missing by living where the ground doesn't freeze.  I took these photos today around my condo here in Columbia, Maryland.

Jim

Notice how the snow plow piled up the snow behind my car.... :(

borgdog

Dang I miss the snow. :'(  I think spring is here already.

tjm73

QuoteNice plan tjm - its amazing how much you fit in a small cabin - did you draw the elevation with Paint?

Yeah, I drew both the floor plans and the elevation with paint.  I have a lot of free time at work so I usepaint on my work PC to draw ideas.  I can't load "outside" software on it or I'd load up my good program and use it.  I haven't been able to use it much cause the microsoft pc I have in marginal for it.  Slow to run the program.  Oh well.

glenn-k

QuoteBatgirl sure has a way of showing up in the oddest places  but then she is a SUPER HERO   ::)

Glen, here is what you are missing by living where the ground doesn't freeze.  I took these photos today around my condo here in Columbia, Maryland.

Jim

I really love that picture of Batgirl -- she really looks ready for action. :)

Now -- where was I -- lost my train of thought there for a second---- Oh yeah - Jim was stuck in the snow----

The last year I was in Oregon, my feet were so frozen working repairing a log loader, that I had to turn the oxy-acetelyene torch onto my boots just so I could feel my toes.  I'd hold the flame ther untill smoke was coming off of my boots -- I can almost smell the burning mink oil now.  MMMmmm.   I moved to Cakifornia the next year.

Since then I have come to realize that the snow is only a 50 mile drive away nearly all year long - so if I want to I can go see it - then turn around and go home. :)  We  only get a few days a year of snow here - that will do--

It is pretty though--- then again -- so is Batgirl.  ;D

keyholefarmhouse

Glen:

Batgirl sure seems to show up a lot when your online.   ?????

Do you or Sassy wear glasses?  ;)

glenn-k

Only occasionally. :-/

Jim -- how do you drive like that?  I'd hate to even think of trying to remove that snow.  I think I'd just turn around and go back to bed.  It's only fun when you don't have to do anything with it.

Daddymem

That's when the V-8 powered snow blower is king!  Too bad mine is only 5 HP  :-/  Oh well, it was free and saved my back yesterday. :)

jstig

QuoteSince then I have come to realize that the snow is only a 50 mile drive away nearly all year long - so if I want to I can go see it - then turn around and go home.

Glen, maybe you have the best situation - take a short drive, enjoy the snow, and then come home to pleasant weather!

Jim

Doug_Martin

QuoteThat's when the V-8 powered snow blower is king!  Too bad mine is only 5 HP  :-/  Oh well, it was free and saved my back yesterday. :)

I saw the Cape got hammered.  Kinda funny -- out here in the hills we only got 2" of stuff so fluffy it was like soap flakes.  I actually enjoyed shoveling for once :-)

Its been a weird winter -- normally my yard looks like the pictures above for a good 2-3 months of the year but we had green grass showing before the storm this weekend.