house raising

Started by apaknad, June 16, 2008, 11:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apaknad

i was reading some old posts and noticed that a few regulars said they thought a good old fashion house raising for forum people would be fun. i would like to know any updated thoughts on this as i would love to volunteer and use this as an excuse to meet and see other parts of the country.

p.s. wouldn't mind the help when i do mine either ;D
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

akemt

I'd love it!  But, seeing as I live in Southeast AK, chances of members joining us here for such an event are slim to none!  Great fishing; expensive travel!
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

Yes- most of us are spread out quite a ways.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

apaknad

i know it is somewhat of a pipe dream for most of us. me, i want to get a small travel trailer and bop around this wonderful country while it's still legal to do so and do some treasure hunting with my metal detector, look for land and visit some of the forum people that wouldn't mind the company and then go build on the land i find. we could set up a network for forumers to visit and this could be a nice way to vacation and not be so expensive. just a thought ???
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Could be neat and I think not a problem as long as your papers are in order and presentable. ::)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jackson Landers

There are a whole bunch of us in Virginia (including yours truly).  I'd be up for throwing my tools in the car and spending a day or a weekend camped out with a bunch of people and getting something dried in fast.

I say if anyone in VA has a project going with the materials on hand, post here to organize a house raising and we should see how many people we can get for it.  So long as you already have the foundation done and we don't need to sit around waiting for concrete to set.
Albemarle County, Virginia

John Raabe

We kind of do the house raising (virtually) here on the forum.

I don't know if it would be as easy to do locally (in the real world). Traditionally this was a neighbor to neighbor thing - and that makes a lot of sense. If you helped Bob down the road when he was pouring the foundation, you can feel free to ask him over to help hoist the end of some beams into place.

Kind of hard to do when there are a couple of hundred miles and gallons of $4.50 gas between you and Bob.
None of us are as smart as all of us.