Hows the weather?

Started by astidham, September 28, 2010, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

A little different scene this morning.  With the above temperature the last couple of days and then warm rain last night and this morning.  Temp 37F.  There is a lot of snow pack that is melting from the higher elevations.  This was the same scenaro which attributed to the 100 yr flood levels that we had in Jan/1996 in which there was 6' of water in town.  The stream at the house only originates about 3 miles south of the house and is fed by surrounding mountains.   

Here is a picture of the stream along my driveway just above my bridge at a normal level.

This is what it looked like a few minutes ago.

rick91351

WOW John - We can't get a storm out here in the western USA.  We should have a couple feet up here at least not a couple inches.  The cross country skiers, snowshoers and snowmobilers are having to travel a long distance to get to enough snow to have any fun.  You can put on your 'muck boots' and walk anywhere up here.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

winde as fooook man her in Rothienorman !

Spelling as per local pronounciation !

somewhere over the border in the land of the kilt wearing northern barbarians   !

Since the wiki was written the barbors and the post office has gone leaving 1 pub, the local shop and a repair garage....

Our new home for now !

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rothienorman+aberdeenshire&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x488443140206e211:0xbf938b72297de2f8,Rothienorman,+Aberdeenshire,+UK&ei=TdPvUtrwM86AhAf4h4GQAQ&ved=0CJcBELYD

Don_P

Cool, looks like a couple of old motte and bailey mounds, north and south of town? There's enough William's and Robert's as first names in that branch of my old family tree I can't keep them all straight.

Wow, looks like you've got an impending mess again John. We finished melting out yesterday, had a healthy rain overnight and into the morning and the bottom has fallen out of the driveway. Although the frost is still in enough that the ground isn't absorbing much, looks like y'all are far worse in that regard.

MountainDon

Monday night we had 2 inches of snow here at home. Under it was a layer of ice all over everything; enough to delay the schools by 2 hours. It melted mostly.

This afternoon it is cloudy and snowing again. Temperature has been falling since 11 AM; now 28 F. Only an inch forecast here, or maybe up to 4 or 5 inches, depending on which forecast I read. I must admit the weather can vary a lot in the space of a few miles here on the west side of the Rio Grande. . The mtns are another story. By the end of tomorrow we could have up to 8 - 12 inches since Monday. We'll have to wait and see.

John...   Why is it so many winter pictures look so beautiful, but we don't like dealing with the effects?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on February 05, 2014, 05:37:21 PM
Monday night we had 2 inches of snow here at home. Under it was a layer of ice all over everything; enough to delay the schools by 2 hours. It melted mostly.

This afternoon it is cloudy and snowing again. Temperature has been falling since 11 AM; now 28 F. Only an inch forecast here, or maybe up to 4 or 5 inches, depending on which forecast I read. I must admit the weather can vary a lot in the space of a few miles here on the west side of the Rio Grande. . The mtns are another story. By the end of tomorrow we could have up to 8 - 12 inches since Monday. We'll have to wait and see.

John...   Why is it so many winter pictures look so beautiful, but we don't like dealing with the effects?

I guess that is what they mean when they say " have to take the good with the bad".  It's been quite a roller coaster this past month.  -19 to 50F. back and forth .  Today we have 1/2" of freezing rain, warmed up some, cooled down again and is snowing now.  But truthfully I don't mind the snow.  Sort of makes everyting look clean.  I counted up in the last 3 weeks (13 days of school) the children have only attended 4 days. 2 of those were 2 hr delays. 

MountainDon

I'm betting our schools are closed tomorrow. 

Wow!  4 days of school out of 13.... kids will be in school till the end of July at that rate.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

hit -18 at the cabin and -22 at the bottom of the drive....coldest I've seen it in a long long time!

rick91351

Well the sub tropical air mass attacked and won over the high that was plaguing us. It ran in to the cold that is plaguing JarHead we got about 14 inches of snow and then it got so warm it started raining sort of....Now it is threatening to rain the snow off.  The ground is so frozen there will be very little chance of the ground absorbing it.  With the rain and snow we have added 2" of moisture at  the SNOTEL site in the past couple days.....     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MushCreek

We're set up for a major winter storm here in the Carolinas today. Our immediate area in north Greenville County, SC, could see a foot. I know- laughable to you guys up north, but it could shut down this area for a week, depending upon how fast it melts. Further south, it looks like a major ice storm- lots of folks will be out of power. My wife works at a hospital, and brought clothes and gear for an extended stay. I'm home, keeping the critters company.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Well it has been 13 hours ago since the snow started and we have just a shy of 12" on the ground and still coming down.

MountainDon

Don_P

We've got around 10" with it still snowing here. Need to go hook up the box scrape and start pushing out  :P. I talked to my folks a bit ago just a little below Jay, they got about 2" but said they were hearing it was closer to 6" around Greenville. Snow day cause it'sno' day to work  :D. I wish we had gotten all the ridgecap done before dark the other day  d*.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on February 13, 2014, 09:50:55 AM
School snow day?

Yep you guessed it.  I guess the girl will be celebrating 4th July in a classroom.   ;D

The 4-Wheeler just didn't cut the mustard.  I was only able to go 40 feet on just one pass.  At that rate it would have been the weekend before I got the drive done if even then.  I broke out the "big guns".

Notice the snow rolling over the blade on the first pass.  That is a standard truck blade working about 12" of snow.

Seems I have a new variety of geese.  "Canadian humpback"

Smith Prairie Harry

Snow is leaving here at an alarming rate high prairies of western Id 

Redoverfarm

Another 3-4" fell last night.  But the temperature is half decent at 32F.  I am so much ready for summer spring ( it comes first doesn't it). 

Unlike the snow of two days ago the 4-wheeler makes quick work of clearing the driveway.

Redoverfarm

Another 2" of snow fell last night.  Temperature this morning was 24F.  It is suppose to warm up the next couple of days to the point of getting rain on Friday.  Looks like another high water day.

MountainDon

Mud. Virtually all the snow has melted, save that on north facing slopes and scattered patches where the wind drifted it. Our north facing drive up the hill has maybe 6 inches that has melted and refroze to make it mostly ice. We used the alternate. The ground freezes overnight and by noon is muddy.

Redoverfarm

Yes the cabin road is the same way but not for a month or so.  Gets just like a sponge.  The worse thing here is the melt off and add rain to that scenerio it does a lot of destruction downstream.  After the last this is what I am faced with.  It washes everything into the water gaps and fence.  This is a good size snag and there are limbs into the fence as well as leaves on the right of the gates.  I haven't even checked on the watergap to the south of the property yet but imagine it is the same way.  Yearly ritual cleaning out and repairing before cattle buying time.  But I am not going to get into much of a hurry as it will most likely happen again in the next month or so and I would have to do it again.  I just put it off until the threat of subsequent flooding is over.  As you can see by the condition of the gates this is not the first time they got crashed.

MountainDon

Windy!!  Forecast is for winds up to 50 - 60 mph overnight. When that happens here the air is full of dirt / sand.

Windpower

yesterday

wind east @ 25, lightning thunder rain and ice pellets, 33 degrees

this morning wind west @ 29 gust 40, 14 degrees

weird
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Don_P

Let's see, about 15" of snow a week ago, a skiff on Tuesday then warmed up to about 60 each of the past 3 days. A gullywasher of rain last night into this morning... and I pulled off the first tick of the year a minute ago  :P. We're keeping the BIL's dog for a bit and she's into everything, including one of the chickens yesterday. The tick was a little seed tick, I guess she found the first hatch. I hate the noise of guineas and they'll end up as hawk food but I think I'll get a few if this is any indication of how the year is shaping up!

Also MD, I see your test post is gone, the forum has been bogging for me, just kicked this error message;
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@countryplans.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at countryplans.com Port 80

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

Well I did get an E-mail notification on this one.  Way to go Don.