Addition / deck details .

Started by peg_688, March 16, 2007, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Little addition and some deck details for you all to look at .

Notice the nice crisp line of shingles going up that roof  line ,  8-)

In the last two photos you can see I changed the detail a little , the old had a fillet type carraige , on a open deck I don't like that detail , it holds water causing rot.

Miter's all biscuited and glued ,

Stairway area to be cont. on Monday.

Sassy

Beautiful!  I'm sure the people you are building the addition  & deck for, are really pleased  8-)

glenn-k

Extremely nice project as we have come to expect from you, PEG.

peg_688

Yes so far it's going great they do tear out and clean up at night to save $$.

Inside we've pulled out a bathroom wall, kitchen wall , dinning room wall , and upstairs we torn out a bathroom and are adding two .  Quite a over all project , two of the lower level walls where bearing so we put in two new beams LVL's , well really three one beam is  a dbl 3 1/2"x 9"x 17' so a total  7"x 9" beam  witha flush ceiling so we had to hold up the  2nd floor/ roof , cut out the floor joist , put the new beams up into the pocket , post under  , to direct bearing beams in crawler / to the footings , and hang all the joist off the new beam.

We also added a powered room , and a utility / laundry room in the garge area .

The other beam is 3 1/2" x 9" x 14' , but it under the existing joist so it was a bit less complicated to install.

Going to be quite a improvement to the overall house.  Pretty complicated to descrbe all we've done , but not many rooms in the org. house are the same .

Thanks Sassy :)

MountainDon

Hey PEG, just that one picture "Miter's all biscuited and glued" says it all! Superior craftsmanship and attention to detail. I hope those folks are cognizant of how great a job you are doing for them. The rounding of the edges, the little inside corner fillet,; it's superb! PLUS, I really like the bevel cuts on the bottoms of the posts as detailed in the fourth photo. Chopping them off square is oh so much more common.

peg_688

Thanks , Hey Mtn. D did you notice the Alaskan yellow cedar bung / plug used to cover the screw hole , what few that are visible in photo's   5 and 8 I beleive.  In the side of the rail / 2x6. Also note there are no fasterners down thru the top of that rail , all screwed from underneath, no where for water to get in and discolor , rot that R. Cedar cap. ;)

The home owners a at home woodworker so he see's most of the little details , great folks to work for  :) They are very happy with the remodel / addition.

I don't think they are tired of the mess yet as progress has been pretty fast and thier decission making is a little behind they're pretty busy tryin to keep up.

I figger some of you will pick up style / detail points from some of these photo's and use them on your own places. Sort a fun to think how many folks will learn / use something , a detail / way to do some thing from this website  :)

Might even be good for the ego, but I don't think that totally why I post / do this. Just tryin to keep up with Glenn ;D    

MountainDon

I noticed the plugs PEG, but was having a devil of a time figuring out the species.    ::)

Also noticed the posts look like they grew right out of the decking. It's all very nice.

peg_688

I'll need it Glenn , thanks  8-)

I like the color contrast of the dissimilar wood bung / plugs .  And as  bonus in this load of 80 2x2's of Red Cedar can 2 each, Alaskan Yellow Cedar 2x2's . I'm not sure how that could happen in a lumber mill that 2 piece of 2x2 could be milled / bundled and shipped out of two different types of wood , seems odd , but hey it's a bonus in a way , so why try to figger it out. Just except it and use the wood for plugs , maybe that why I got that bundle of 2x2 's I was about out of Al. yellow in the shop 8-)

PEG688

Here's the almost finished stair a few deck skirt boards and details to finish up , and some of the inside beams , walls , and the in general mess of remodeling ;D

Rafter in the addition,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

I think I could drive my Jeep up those stairs; plenty stout!!   :)   and an oak beam!

As per usual, I love it all.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the pix and details, PEG. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Thanks , ya the stairs are stout , built outta something I know about  ;)

On the stairs per code locally we have to use 2x materials for treads and the stair horse have to be 12" OC or less. A bit over built for a short stair , but say we have 10 or maybe more treads , a long run of stairs and two guys are delieving a sub zero refer , or a big party and the stairs get loaded for some reason so a lot of moving weight , so thats the why of the 12"oc , etc .  A bit of overkill for this short run , but code is code and common reasoning/ sence  must be abandoned  :-X

I was trying to show how I attach the horse's to the platform mostly , although each stair has it's own conditions where they attach that methord sort of can be changed / copied / adapted to fit / work for others.

Ah no Oak beams on the job Mtn. D the ridge beam is a Fir gluelam and the other beams are LVL's (Laminated veneer lumber) the Oak your reading , maybe  :-/ is Oak Harbor the town that the beam was delievered to. The local lumber yard , Frontier Industries  , has 7 or so stores so Frontier : Oak Harbor tells the driver which Frontier to drop it it .

Not , Space the final Frontier,  either Glenn ,  ::)peremptive strike,  just in case you where thinking about the Klingon chick again ;D  

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Ahh - fond memories, PEG.  Thanks. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_M

Great Job PEG!!  Love the photos......I am really excited because I have decided to change my siding from all cedar shingles to cedar beveled siding and shingles.

I have been try to get a few photos for my wife to see what I was talking about and now that she has seen it, she loves it!  What did you or they use for window trim?  Brick molding maybe?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MountainDon

Oak Harbor tells the driver which Frontier to drop it it .
That does make a lot more sense.   :-[

I have duly noted the stair horse mounts.   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

What did you or they use for window trim?

Brick molding maybe?

The windows are white vinyl , no trim .

The  Dbl.  door , exterior has standard brick mold on it.

Glad the photo's where helpful.

And yes we did the siding.

Thanks , PEG

John_M

Forgive my "lack of knowledge" here PEG, but what then what do you do around the windows to seal them from water?  Do you just use that flashing tape around them and then butt the siding against them.  Then caulk the siding where it meets the window?

Just curious.....getting ready to do mine and thought I had it figured out and then I saw the pictures and...well here we are...asking questions again!!

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

PEG688

Pretty much , we Typar the wall , or felt , we  cut the Typar at the top as per the Grace vycor booklet , at  angle from the window hole , and up and away 4" or so, flip that tab up set the window on the Typar , plumb and level. Then Vycor across the botton extending 4" or so past the window , do the side from 4" above the window down over the bottom strip , then do the head over the window flange and over the side tape , flip down the Typar tab and your done.

This job was back caulked , just before the siding in put up a bead is run on the corner brd and the window frame , siding is set into that wet caulk , try for very little squeeze out.

Tip don't cut the siding to tight , if you have to bow it out and spring it in it will push / or crack that window frame .

G/L PEG    

PEG688

D/W's hung , folks are painting walls and ceilings, we got the Red Cedar T&G ceiling up in the addtion yesterday ,

Went up pretty well , looks good  8-)

MountainDon

QuoteWent up pretty well , looks good  8-)
Yes, it does look good, even if you do say so yourself!!  ;D ;D  I think I'd like some of that here.  :)

Amanda_931

The intersection of wood and drywall sure looks smooth.

PEG688

The intersection of wood and drywall sure looks smooth.

Went up pretty well , looks good  8-)

Yes, it does look good, even if you do say so yourself!!  ;D ;D  I

Amanda :

It is smooth  8-) No trim , trim is fer sissy's  ;D

Mtn .D:  

Just repeating what the owner , and my boss said Mtn. D.   And I've been told and have heard

[highlight] "It ain't braggin if you can do it!" [/highlight] ;)

And althought Bear creek didn't supply the lumber , they do have a ad I like  ;D