Running my own utility lines

Started by r1013, February 23, 2020, 01:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r1013

I bought 21 acres in Alabama about 6 years ago.  I am wanting to move in the direction of getting a house started within the next year.  The 21 acres is basically a round hill.  It starts at 800 feet at the road and the top of the hill is 900+ feet.  It climbs 100 feet in about 460 feet.  The slope is about 22%.  It's all hardwoods except the center acre.  There is a 1000 foot long rough cut road that circles around to the top center acre.  My plans are to get a perk test done.  Get the road and top of hill regraded.  Then run utility lines.

My question is in regards to running utility lines.  I work as a nurse and basically work 80-90 hours in a week and then have a week off.  Videos I have watched make running lines look easy just time consuming.  I figure I could take one of my weeks off rent a ditch witch buy supplies and get it done and save a lot of money.

Question #1:  Do I run the lines straight up the hill through the woods or around the road?
Question #2:  Do I dig multiple trenches or one?  I will have WATER, POWER and PHONE.
Question #3:  Can the phone lines run along side the power?
Question #4:  Are there any other lines I'm missing?
Question #5:  What type of water line to run and how deep?
Question #6:  What type of power lines to run and how deep?
Question #7:  What type of phone line to run and how deep?
Question #8:  Anything I'm missing?

Don_P

Schedule a visit with the power company engineer. Each has their own rules as to what you can do and what they do, at a minimum they will design the route, you will have input in that. Some allow other utilities in the trench many do not. Typically water is below frost line, power is at least 3', phone, ours scratch that in for free but that also varies so check with them.

Dave Sparks

Alot of contractors in our county replacing underground utility power that was damaged by ground squirrels. I always used 2" and up conduit (for solar) as they can't get their mouths around it. Most of these lines here being replaced are probably direct burial aluminum.

The eye opener for me was that ground squirrel nests and tunnels were below 3 feet deep.  I second the visit that Don recommended and also see the county building department for their input.
"we go where the power lines don't"

r1013