Treatment for Board and Batten Siding?

Started by CabinNick, July 16, 2019, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinNick

I am getting ready to treat several thousand square feet of board and batten siding.  I have done quite a bit of reading on this forum and other sites on the best product to use but am a bit overwhelmed.  The siding will be 1x12 and 1x3 rough cut ponderosa pine that we milled.  The boards have been dried for over a year now. We live in a very dry area of Eastern Oregon.  I am looking for a penetrating product that I can put one coat on this year, another coat a year or two down the road and then hopefully not have to retreat for a long time.  I don't mind a little tint, but looking to maintain the natural look of the wood. 

I used Superdeck transparent stain on our outhouse and like the way it looks, but I worry that I will have to reapply that every few years. 

Any recommendations on brand and type of stain or other oil to use? 

Dave Sparks

I have a power system client who has the most beautiful Ponderosa log cabin I have ever been to. Been there for 20 years.

He uses Linseed oil thinned with 25% turpentine. It will slightly darken but just sitting in the sun will also.

When he first built, he used Penofin. Pricey but he said it killed bugs or mold, I think...
"we go where the power lines don't"

yankeeredneck

I have heard many good things about Shou sugi ban - the Japanese wood burning treatment. I have done several furniture pieces that have come out real nice. The wife is wanting me to do the farm house like this.
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

MountainDon

I saw a garage done with the burnt treatment. It looked sorta cool
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

yankeeredneck

https://imgur.com/QzHfJYU

I did a basic 1x6 piece of Pine. I burned it until it started to crinkle, then used a wire brush to scrape off the soot. This is with no stain or sealer
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid