Beam Connectors

Started by Tennessee Todd(Guest), December 29, 2005, 07:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Todd(Guest)

Hello everyone. I hope everyone has had a merry Christmas. I have a question that someone may be able to help me out with. I am building the 20x30 1.5. I am planning on having a post and pier foundation using the two 6x12 beams to support the sub-floor. I am planning on adding a third beam in the center. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on beam connectors for the post. I have been searching the Simpson site and have found numerous connectors that will work but they are very expensive. I was specifically looking at using the Simpson EPC66 (for the end post) and PC66 for the other post. I will need 6 end connectors and 9 of the others. The price I have for these is $50/each. Is there another alternative that may be cheaper? Do I really need connectors on each post? Please help.

Thanks

peg_688

If it was me I'd use either 1x6 common fir "scabs " about 30 " long , or as long as they can be if the post is short. Top of beam to well onto the post 2 x beam height.  Or rippings of 3/4 " subfloor plywood / OSB , less likely to split when you nail it on . Use lots of nails , in a 2 / 1  / 2 / 1 pattern. spaced about 3" apart.

At least it sounds like 6x6 posts, as your calling out a  PC66 post to beam connector.   Also sounds like your  in Tenn. you wouldn't be earthquake / high wind code complinate.

If you have to pass a insp , and your plans are stamped with the simpsom stuff spec'ed just do it to the approved plans , Or pay a engineer to override it , the Eng. will be more $$$ than the hardware , MTL.

Good luck , better New Years to us all , PEG  :)    

peg_688

Todd I guess no one disagreed with me so [highlight]YAHOO YAHOO a first [/highlight]. Go for it man before they decide I'm wrong  :D PEG  

glenn-k

That sounded like a pretty good plan to me, PEG - couldn't give you a bad time about that.

Additionally I received my plans from John - he was prompt in sending them - I was working out of town then the holiday came by, then I was out of town again.  I will review them and look for other options. :)

jraabe

You can build very good beam to post connectors out of 1/2" plywood gussets and glue and nail them up in such a way as to  probably match the strength of the metal connectors called out in the plans. However, such a connector is not tested or certified. Simpson has spent a great deal on such testing and certification and this is comforting to a building department.

Still, if you are not required to use the specified metal connectors, and you have no great wind or earthquake potential, I would use the plywood gussets.

glenn-k

The Simpson AC6 and ACE6 post caps in the main view look to be pressed steel - used in pairs - nailed on per chart - they look to be relatively cheap also.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/AC-LPC-LCE.html

A good lumber yard should be able to get prices on these and order them if they don't stock them.

John shows as an alternative a set of Simpson 1616HL -and I assume 1616 HT on center posts - they are to be used in pairs with four - 5/8 dia bolts at each joint.  For tall post he has added a 4x6 brace w/2 1/2 in. lag screws each end.  This is all on the foundation plan sheet M1.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/t-l.html

I couldn't find pricing but these are just T and L straps - seems they should be pretty cheap.

If you are using Johns plans you can post in Plans support for a quick response from John.

Tennessee Todd(Guest)

Thanks for the help. It appears that all the suggested options are much better than the $750 option I had found. Thanks for the help.