planning a new build

Started by garm, February 05, 2011, 04:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garm

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for a few months now and love the site! I'm planning a basic home 20x32 with two bedrooms and one bath. I don't have all of the details worked out yet but I was hoping to get some educated guesses as to how long it would take for one person working 40 hours a week to build this size home.

A few details I already know:

It's going to be built on flat ground. Clay soil - typical Missouri ground, that is. Lots of rocks.

I plan to build it with a 12 foot high center wall and do a gable roof with vaulted ceiling.

Post foundation. I've seen many different variations of this done here and was wondering what some of you guys recommend for someone working alone. And do I need two or three beams running the length of the house.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments.  :)

I plan to shop diligently for used and salvaged materials - what kind of sq ft cost can I expect?

I may end up painting the sub-floor while we build the funds to do a nice tile or hardwood flooring. Any thoughts on this god or bad?

MushCreek

Somewhere (can't remember where, offhand) I've read estimates on how many man-hours it takes to do various building chores, from roofing to framing to installing windows. There are so many variables, it's really hard to say. Until you're dried in, weather can be a major factor, depending on your local climate. 40 hours by an experience pro is a lot different than 40 hours by someone who is learning as they go. And working alone will take more than twice as long as two people, because you've got to take time to gin up a way to move stuff that is beyond the scope of one person's strength. Some folks can work amazingly fast, with seemingly unending reserves of energy, while others need to pace themselves. Some folks are very organized, and already have the next step planned out before they get to it, others have to sit down and collect their thoughts, or risk a major screw-up. I'm a manager in a tooling facility, and I have to estimate projected costs all the time- not an easy task. In my line of work, you quote as if your slowest guy is doing the work, then give it to your fastest guy, and you'll make money. Finally, it depends upon what you consider 'done'. You can paint your sub-floor, get your CO, and call it done. Or you can do gorgeous hand-scraped hardwood floors with a 7 coat finish, lovingly hand-rubbed in between coats. I know I haven't been any help at all, but it gives you things to consider. My best guess would be that a talented, motivated person could get a basic place built and finished well enough to live in in about a year. I'm sure others will chime in with anecdotes about a guy that did it in 3 months, or another guy that started 6 years ago and still isn't finished.

I'm not sure about your local zoning and inspections, but make sure what used and salvage materials are accepted. In many places, you can't use used lumber for structural applications, and if your windows don't have the appropriate rating stickers, they won't get approved. There are lots of rules and regulations these days- some places have lots of them, some hardly any. Find out before you start shopping.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MountainDon

I can't help much on the time to build query; sorry.

But before you start you should know everything about what local building codes, electrical, etc must be met.

Mushcreek mentioned the 'tags' on windows for example. New windows and exterior doors come with labels that give the U-factor and the solar heat gain value. Most locations with a permit/code enforcement will also be using the IECC (energy conservation code). Those tags have the ratings for the windows and doors. Inspectors usually want to see them on the glass before checking off on that.

Speaking of which, there is a free download program that calculates energy efficiency of the entire structure. Some places, like here in NM, require the building to be run through ResCheck before plans are submitted for approval. Even if it's not necessary it can be a help in designing a building.

The local building office can also be a great source to find what works best for foundations in your area. The foundation is very important and with clay soils a challenge at times. Local advise would be very good to have. Clay can present stability issues and because of that piers may not be the best foundation. Depends. Is the 20x32 you are designing a one story, or taller? A full perimeter poured concrete footer, reinforced with steel, may offer the best solid foundation. Piers can be used on top of that.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

garm

Thanks a lot, guys! You've given me much to think about.

I guess I could have mentioned that I'm a bit more experienced than an average Joe that decides to build himself a house. I have 20 years experience in custom high end cabinetry and have done some remodel work, but building a whole house is an entirely different animal as you guys know. So, I tend to plan well ahead when I'm doing a project and build things in my head before I even turn on a saw. I catch a lot of problems this way.

Great idea about consulting local codes. I do live in rural Missouri and there aren't even any codes here for builders to follow, but I still plan to build my house above code - I tend to overbuild stuff, too.   :)

I might end up doing a slab on grade because I'm now considering making the footprint smaller and going with a gambrel roof style and doing an upstairs bedroom. Still planning.   d*

I'll keep updating and running stuff by you guys if you have time to comment. Thanks!