Am I stressed?--you betcha!

Started by Shelley, May 12, 2005, 11:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

Shelley, That is an amazing shop!
Is it going to be used for business or pleasure?

spinnm

Actually, the house will be quite small.  Just a little over 1400sf.  And, part of the shop will have guest quarters.  All that plumbing you see is in the dividing wall.  The South windows will be in the living part.  The ceilings will be at around 9'.  That'll give us a loft accessible from the shop for stuff.

That still gives himself the equivilant of an 8 car garage.  Heated, bathroom, TV, computer, barc-o-lounger, futon for naps, a refer.  The "man cave".  He always dreamed of it.  Time to have it.  No business, Jimmy.  Just lots of interests and the stuff to do it with.  And tools.  Lots of tools.

I'll save the story about the house for later...after it's up a little and I have pics.  We switched gears on a whim.  In fact, was because of someone here.  Who was that?  She was bemoaning the lack of comtemporary design in small houses.  She found a plan on one of the E plan sites.  Amanda posted it for her.  Remember, Amanda?  Enough hints.

Think you're right on John.  May should start to warm up.  But, we're not like Phoenix/Tucson.  We're 4300'.  Barable in the summer.  Just my luck it'll be time to landscape.  Doubt it tho.  We're moving very slowly.

Amanda_931

Nice shop.

Nice dogs too.

Some of us have been looking at house plan books since the sixties.  

teripittman

This discussion sure makes me feel better. We may well be in a similar situation. Own a small owner built home from 1941. We're buying 3 acres in the deep dark woods in the Cascades from an old friend. We'll share his water system and can set up an internet cafe in his shed as we're not going to be putting in electricity any time soon. But we will have to build something to live in. We have a small travel trailer we can use or buy from his son. (And by the way, spent 8 years living in a 21' Airstream. Love it. Went through high winds on the CA coast and 2 winters in Spokane, WA.)

The original plan was to put the house up for sale in January and move out to the place as soon as we get it sold. We can use the sheds on our friend's place for storage. We can definitely pull something together. We are basically trying to find someone to pay us what we put in for a down payment originally and assume the loan. And I've already had a couple of folks interested, even though I haven't talked to the real estate agent yet. It's nice to know that you can live through things like this, even though you don't have a clue how it will all turn out.

jraabe

Just like all the BIG decisions in life (mate, career, where to live) - you do your homework, but ultimately you have to unplug the rational brain and take a leap of faith.  :o Knowing this doesn't make it any less scary though.

jwv

Great pictures, we've always said we need a little living space and a LOT of project space.

Are you south of Deming?  As you know in the SW all roads lead to Deming and we've been through there many times.  My brother owns 2 lots in the Sunshine Valley Ranchettes(?) via my parents.  One of those no money down, $50/month, buy sight unseen real estate deals from the 60s or 70s.

Was your Las Cruces dinner at La Posta?

Judy

spinnm

Judy,

Sorry it's taken so long.  We were up in Abq for 5 days.

We're in the SW quadrant of town.  7 miles South on the Columbus Rd, then 1 mile West.  Agree about the living space.  Don't need so much, but we still need space for projects, tools and stuff.

And, yes, I believe that we did eat at La Posta that day.  Had some friends in from CO and were doing the Mesilla thing.

And, John's right about unplugging the rational side of the brain.  This was really hard for me, unlike the various moves we made when we were younger.  They were easy.