cordless tools (drills)

Started by Redoverfarm, November 13, 2007, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Does anyone have the Ryobi 18volt circular saw and what do you think of it?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have the 5 1/4 18v one that came in the set.  It got a slight break in the bearing housing behind the blade.  Something could have got dropped on it or it could have been dropped -- others used it also.  They would warranty it but wanted to replace the entire set.  I didn't have it all in town and the old one still worked so I just spent another $59 and got the new one with the laser added on it. 

They work very good but run batteries down fairly quickly.    Not too much problem for me as I have a single and double charger and 8 batteries.  Cut just deep enough to get through a 2x.  I'm happy even with the cracked housing - that has been my only problem.  I only paid $129 for the complete set when buying at first.  It saves me more than that on every decent sized job I do -- with all of the tools plus the added impact driver - and many other optional ones, I can do a two day job in one day many times.  If it is a contract job that means I really increased my profit.  Not running miles of power cords saves a lot of time and time can be money. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I'm just thinking ahead to next spring/summer. Wondering if I'd be better off with a cordless saw like that and a couple chargers 'n' some more batteries, then running the generator only when a recharge is needed. OR, just using the corded saws I already have, with the Yamaha generator idling until the tool demands power? The Yamaha is a fuel miser when idling and kicks up quickly when the tool is turned on.

It's hard to resist new toys, but not always necessary.   The toys, that is, not the resistance.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I put your new hmmm dude in in case you want to find him again.

I use a 300 watt inverter in the lighter plug of the truck, but need a bigger one now as it doesn't seem to be working well anymore. hmm

Long live the resistance. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

I have a 2500 watt one but it has a built in charger so is really heavy.  I'd like some serious electricity on my truck though.  Harbor has all sizes.  Seems no matter what brand, they don't last excessively long -- fans go out etc on the bigger ones.  The 2500 would last -- It's a Heart Interface one but -- where to put it. hmm  Handy Dude, Don. ;D

desdawg

Quote from: MountainDon on November 21, 2007, 10:41:35 PM
Does anyone have the Ryobi 18volt circular saw and what do you think of it?
I like it. I thought that a battery couldn't last long on that type of tool but was pleasantly surprised when I started using it. There is a lot of cutting in an 18v battery.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

GunPilot

I have the Ryobi drill and reciprocating saw. I like them a lot. I want to get the circular saw but I'll have to get the LiOn batteries too.  The drill and saw have held up to a lot of abuse.

glenn kangiser

I used my Ryobi Chainsaw quite a bit yesterday, making a dog house.  I cut the rounded opening with it with the guard off of the tip of course.  First thing I did was take the tip guard off.  It's a chain saw fer cryin' out loud.  Chain saws are supposed to kick back and hit you in the leg.  How else can you prove you are a real man.  Chain speed is slow so it doesn't seem to be too bad on the batteries.   [chainsaw]

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 24, 2007, 01:26:10 PMFirst thing I did was take the tip guard off.
[agree]
I don't ever recall seeing anyone using a chainsaw with a tip guard in place. I lost mine someplace... 

desdawg

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 24, 2007, 01:26:10 PM
I used my Ryobi Chainsaw quite a bit yesterday, making a dog house.  I cut the rounded opening with it with the guard off of the tip of course.  First thing I did was take the tip guard off.  It's a chain saw fer cryin' out loud.  Chain saws are supposed to kick back and hit you in the leg.  How else can you prove you are a real man.  Chain speed is slow so it doesn't seem to be too bad on the batteries.   [chainsaw]

Tip guard?  hmm Were you wearing your chaps?   [panic] Nice smilies!
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Since it is near impossible to use a chainsaw with a tip guard, I'm sure they know everyone will remove it, thereby limiting their liability in case someone gets hurt. Chaps, I'm lucky I was wearing clothes. [crz]

I have been scouring the internet looking for good smilies and saving them here.  [toilet]

Redoverfarm

Just thought I would let you know that the search is over.  I came to the conclusion that I would purchase two new batteries for the Sears drill I had($64).  Well I did but not the way you think.  I had the drill as part of a Kit, saw, light and etc..  The drill was 1/2" 19.2 volt and if I bought anything other than Sears I could just throw away all the accessories.  I priced Ryobi 1/2 at HD which was $69 for 18volt.  Well when I went Sears and low and behold they had a special which had the same 1/2 drill 19.2 volt, right angle3/8" drill, two batteries and charger for $99. Priced the right angle drill seperately while there for $65. So in essence I think I am satisfied.   HD, Lowes and Sears  had several smaller kits but were mostly 12 volt and only 3/8" drill.  I use mine pretty heavy and often with mason bits and ship augers with 1/2" shanks.

So I appreciate all the replies that were rendered to the post and if you feel that someone else would gather some valuable info from it continue. If not I'm satisfied.

John

desdawg

There really is no standarization in these tools is there. I have seen everything from 6 volts up. And batteries are not interchangeable between tool brands, nor are chargers. No standarization will lead to landfills full of this stuff as some is really low quality and not good for the long haul. I hate waste.

glenn kangiser

That's one of the main things that got m going on the Ryobi 18v One Plus stuff.  Tons of tools and now the L-ion works with it also, and everything interchanges -- within their own stuff.

I got a new Ryobi 5 1/4" circular saw with a laser guide that is handy sometimes and a noisy bearing about 1 month ago.  I'm taking it back when I stop at Homer's today.  Should be no problem exchanging though.

MountainDon

I am not certain, But I believe the Sears/Craftsman 19.2 volt tools are the same as ones sold by Northern Tool. I've also seen them under the Kawasaki and Alltrade names. I've handled the tools and they seem to be the same, right down to the back-assward direction switch, just the colors are different. But I've never had 'em in the same place to try plugging in a battery pack.

Battery standardization would be too much to expect.

A number of years ago I went to the time and trouble to "re-cell" a battery pack with sub-C size nicads from my RC planes and cars. It worked, but I only did two packs before calling it too much trouble. Pus I'd used up the spare cells I had laying about.

glenn kangiser

Got the new Ryobi Saw exchanged today at Homers -they checked it over but no problem- new one is smooth.  I used them pretty heavy installing the stairs.  Ryobi -- sounds Japanese, but made in China.

MountainDon

Good news.

Did you take photos and document the stair installation event? Hope so. Would like to see. There's a topic about it somewheres here.  ??? 

Ryobi; I'm sure, is a 100% Japanese company, as in corporate headquarters are in .... Japan.

But then, the Honda Civic sedan I own is made by Honda (Japanese headquarters), with the actual manufacturing/assembling plant being somewhere in Iowa.

It's all very confusing.

glenn kangiser

Yeah - got pix.  I posted on the stair thread in referrals I think so will update that with pix.

I think Ryobi may be Japanese but they have the tools made in China -- at least that saw-- and sell them to us. ???  Made in China several places on it.

MountainDon

I may have to buy a Ryobi 18 volt circular saw, or some combination thereof, sometime over the winter. I did not want to get up early enough on "Black Friday" to try and get one of the few available Ryobi Special Combo Kits (saw, drill, battery, charger, for $59!!! Great deal, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough.  :o

It would seem to be a good saw to have for framing the cabin to minimize generator run time.

glenn kangiser

It will cut through a 2x4 exactly -- about 1 5/8.

The little 350 watt or larger inverter will run the charger.  If you don't go L-ion get extra batts - maybe the dual charger.   It keeps growing.

Redoverfarm

Don you could have gotten it on-line the day before.  I wasn't sure what the chuck size was so I didn't order. Turned out to be 3/8" when I looked at them Monday.

Glenn I am not sure but I wouldn't think chaps would have helped you because I think the tip guard is generally for kick-back from waist up.  So you might have had to put them over your head.  Sounds like your biggest danger was the initial plung cut which is why the tip guard was installed to prevent you from "plung cutting" because that is one of themost dagerous cuts to make.  Might have been able to use a "wood hog" on 4-1/2" grinder.  Either way chain saws are just plain dangerous guard or no guard.  In fact OSHA  list logging as one of the most dangerous occupations. I had a friend that worked for me building my addition that died from a chain saw injury.  He was cutting slab firewood in a pile and it kicked back and cut a major artery in his neck.  But as a country boy he took the kick-back option off.

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 28, 2007, 07:22:48 AM
Don you could have gotten it on-line the day before.
When I looked on line the set was listed, but not available for online ordering.  >:(

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 28, 2007, 07:22:48 AM

Glenn I am not sure but I wouldn't think chaps would have helped you because I think the tip guard is generally for kick-back from waist up.  So you might have had to put them over your head.  Sounds like your biggest danger was the initial plung cut which is why the tip guard was installed to prevent you from "plung cutting" because that is one of themost dagerous cuts to make.  Might have been able to use a "wood hog" on 4-1/2" grinder.  Either way chain saws are just plain dangerous guard or no guard.  In fact OSHA  list logging as one of the most dangerous occupations. I had a friend that worked for me building my addition that died from a chain saw injury.  He was cutting slab firewood in a pile and it kicked back and cut a major artery in his neck.  But as a country boy he took the kick-back option off.

Yeah - logging is rough-- my dad got knocked off a log truck twice by a loader before he decided to quit.  Loader guy was pretty good -- caught him mid air as he was jumping to get away when he saw the log wasn't going to stop.

I'll have to think about the alternate positioning of the chaps. hmm

Dustin

I ended up getting up early in the snow on Black Friday and going to HD to buy the $59 Ryobi special(drill+radio+circular saw+battery), the $99 Poulan chainsaw, bench grinder for $20, and a couple of other little things.
Later, I would like to pick up the Lithium  battery pack & charger when they go on sale, plus a few other tools....like the cutoff tool, the right angle drill, the reciprocating saw, the impact drill...
I noticed they brought back all those $99 Ryobi woodworking tools, like the table saw, band saw, scroll saw, etc.  I was very tempted to pick up the whole lot.