Lumberlite 24 Saw Mill by Norwood

Started by desdawg, December 18, 2006, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Glenn

Yes I know there is more work done per gallon with a diesel...But it is not twice...It is about 40% which is due to the Direct injection. They have actually designed efficient Direct Injection Gasoline Engines that burn very clean...And can have 13:1 compression without spark knocking on regular gasoline.

The price of Diesel is a Hoax! When you refine a barrel of Crude oil for every gallon of gasoline there is almost three gallons of Diesel.... So by this method Diesel should be less than half the cost of Gasoline.

For decades Propane and Diesel were cheap! They got people used to using these fuels...They got companies to make machinery and equipment that used these fuels....Then the price went through the roof on these fuels allowing our wonderful government to make a killing in tax revenues.

Diesel is 60 cents a gallon more than regular here where I live....That is a total outrage!

But it costs a lot of money to design and build more advanced nukes and police the world....So they have to rape us with the taxation and distribution of Gasoline and other fuels.

Glenn....I love the raw torque of the Diesel...And I love the longevity of the Diesel....But they stink and are a lot harder to work on....We call them stinky furnaces.

Now that they are selling low sulphur diesel it is actually a much cleaner alternative....Yes there are particulates and NOX to worry about but  simple filters much like a catalytic convertor solves this problem...

It is no accident that 50% of all new cars are diesel in Europe....They have frowned upon that here in North America...You cannot buy a diesel for 99% of the passenger cars out there....

If half of all new vehichles in America were Diesels total fuel consumption would go way down and Demand for Gasoline would drop....Resulting in the dropping in price of Diesel and Gasoline...As the price of Crude  oil would drop as well....

The Government cannot have things like this happening...Gasoline and Diesel tax is a pure Cash grab from the public....You can cheat on your taxes and avoid taxation with loopholes and investments...But you cannot avoid the gas pump....And the Government counts on you filling up every few days.....They are counting on high prices to increase their cut as they get a percentage of the total price of fuel rather than a flat fee per gallon.

Everyone goes ga-ga over the Prius and 60 miles to the gallon....Wow big deal...take the same car with a small efficient turbo Diesel 3 cylinder engine and it gives 60 miles to the gallon with ease.....And it is real 60 miles to the gallon....Not estimated....Most people that buy Prius cars never get close to the advertised mileage

This is the biggest scam of our time....

desdawg

Well Peter, my saw mill, this was a thread about a sawmill, has a little bitty gas motor. A 6-1/2 hp Tecumseh. And today it came out of the box and got mounted.

Now I have to get my old frame "foundation" lined out to accept the track so I can finish building the saw. But hey, I am getting closer.

glenn-k

Design looks similar to mine, desdawg.  I have the sheaves with belts wrapped around them for drivers too.  Never have a problem with them.  Had a shaft loosen once in the bearing race.  Built it up with a torch and brazing rod and ground it off with a hand grinder - good as new. :)

I think mine has a 10 hp Tecumseh.  Pretty decent little engine.

glenn-k

Here is a pic of loading logs on my mill, desdawg.  Just happened across it in Photobucket. I posted it once before.

desdawg

:o :o That is a nice setup Glenn. I am pretty small scale compared to what you have. I wouldn't  have the timber to justify something like that or the room to get it around.

desdawg

Progress continues.
I welded some 1-1/2" square tube to my chassis to give me a square surface for my rails to mount to:

Norwood recommends a double 2 X 6 built up beam for the rails to mount to:

Beams painted and mounted to chassis:

Now I will need to level the whole thing up, pull a string on the beams and shim them straight and I can start installing the track and bunks. But it is Christmas day and I may not get much time since the clan is gathering here for the feast. It is a good thing I have until Spring to get-er-done.
I got some 1/4" carriage bolts to attach the 2 X 6 beams to the square tube at Home Depot. They were of such poor quality that I had to chase the threads on nearly every one of them to get the nuts on. Thank goodness there was only 20 of them.  :-/ The other thing about small 1/4" carriage bolts is the square shoulder is so small it doesn't hardly grab the wood to keep it from turning. Put that on my list of things I would do differently if I had to do it again. But it is 25 miles back to Home Depot on Christmas eve so I made it work.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Think nothing of tha KW, desdawg --- it was just something I had laying around.  Needs batteries now so I will probably just use my 31' knuckle boom on the Hino or my lull reach lift.

That frame looks great, desdawg.  Mine has multiple bolt jacks as it is not a nice solid frame like yours.  Have to re-level once in a while but the boards come out pretty good.

Note that you will probably get around 100 to 200 feet of cut 12" to 16"wide per sharpening - maybe 3 sharpenings per blade.  That is if there is no rock or sand in the bark.   I take one or two cuts off the round log then rotate it 90 degrees to the front then 3 sides are trimmed per board and if the bark isn't off at least the dirt you may miss is pushed away.  Use lots of water or the blades go dull much faster.  Don't keep pushing a dull blade - it will just break or take twice as long.  A little rock or sand can take a new blade out almost instantly - bark off is best but hard to do sometimes, especially on fresh wood.  Added advantage is that fresh wood cuts easier though.

In Mexico I have seen the loggers using simple board ramps to roll the logs onto the truck.  They have the smaller logs there also and plenty of help.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

As I said I am working on a much smaller scale with smallish trees. And I am nearly always working alone. What I was thinking of doing is getting a grapple bucket for my Bobcat and using that to wrestle the logs around. I think given the size I have available it would work. Any thoughts?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Yeah - It'll work.  I did them with my 825 - maybe a 12"x12 foot or so.  You can just hook a chain and tongs on too but it's a bit hard to handle sometimes - I used a rope also a time or two to halfway control it.  Also grabbed them by the end and hooked the top under the top lip of the bucket - small ones.  That is getting close to Bobcat abuse though. :-/

Grapple would do good if you can find one for a reasonable price.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I was looking at the Quick Claw from Quick Attach for $2395. this would also be handy to clean up behind yourself after limbing.
http://www.quick-attach.com/products/quick_claw.cfm
They also have a log splitter for $1595.
http://www.quick-attach.com/products/quick_split.cfm

Amanda_931

The Grappler looks serious.  And I could get one for my tractor, to put on instead of the loader.

Not sure I need it mind you.

Would the splitter attachment be more hassle--possibly even more expensive--than a stand-alone?  That certainly happens with chippers.

glenn kangiser

Nice toys - looks good.  Really should do a job around the mill. :)

I want to build a rock screen for my regular bucket.  You load up dirt and rocks then turn it over and shake it - all the big stuff stays in the bucket then you put it into another pile.  A couple companies make it but they want a lot for it.  I want to build it strong enough to move boulders also.

glenn kangiser

Price wise on the splitter is not too bad.  Depends, Amanda, Depends. :)

It would tie up the Bobcat while it was in use.  Couldn't haul wood to the splitter - or from it or even just go joyriding and smash something while it was attached. :)

Amanda_931

QuoteIt would tie up the Bobcat while it was in use.  Couldn't ... even just go joyriding and smash something while it was attached.

Now that would be a major problem.  Nope, have to get the standalone.

desdawg

I think you can get a splitter with a gas motor, wheels and a hitch for about the same price at Northern Tool. I hate leaving too much stuff sit around on wheels cause it may roll away when I am not around. I am still thinking about that one. My perspective is a little different since I don't live at that place full time. So far I have been lucky. It is so tucked away no one really knows it is there.

desdawg

The mill is built. The pictures are poor cause the sun was going down and I was limited as to what angles I could shoot from but I will get some better ones tomorrow. I still need to build a stand for my little hand crank crane to snake logs up onto the bed. And I need a set of ramps for the logs to travel up. There is 17' + of rail in front of the sawhead so I can mill 16' logs no problem. Should be the most I will need given the trees that are available to me.

glenn kangiser

Looks good-- lets put a log on it. :)

desdawg

Tomorrow maybe. Not much for logs here in the desert but I have a couple of pine logs I took out of someones yard a while back for test driving purposes. They are pretty sad but good enough for test purposes. First I want to get my little winch and ramps built.

GunPilot

desdawg

It has been busy time here in the AZ desert with actual paying work coming from all sides. In fact if I get going any faster I may meet myself coming back.  :-/
The good new is that today it is Sunday and I may just get this baby fired up. But the answer is no, I haven't had any time to go any further as of yet. I did locate some big old logs (about 24" diameter) that have been down for a year or so and am going to attempt to acquire custody of them. Not sure what species they are. Cottonwood maybe. They were near a canal and were removed for some road work I think. More will be revealed.

desdawg

Well it happened. Filled the motor with oil, fueled it up got it started and threw the band right off. Aligning those band wheels is a PIA. But ifinally got it right. I didn't have a large log so I used what I had which was some pine I had removed from a yard when we were working there. Twisted, small diameter and knotty but it served for a test piece. By the time I got that crook out of the end and got it squared up there wasn't too much left.

Here it is being winched up the ramp

A couple of 1X6's, a 2X6 and one piece 1/2" thick just for giggles. The mill is supposed to be able to shave veneer if that is what you want to make.
Anyway there are a few wrinkles to work out but I am going to like it. I will try to latch on to those bigger logs when I get some time and make some real lumber. I still have one more pine log like this one to cut up.

glenn kangiser

Looks good, desdawg.  I put my band on and rotate it by hand a few times to see how it will track.

Do you have any kind of tension indicator.  Mine is just that pushing up to touch the frame in the center about 1/4 inch above should be fairly hard.

desdawg

There are adjusting bolts to tilt the band wheels which are to be adjusted one way if the band wants to walk in and the other way if it wants to walk off the wheels. These are independent of each other and are to be adjusted at three different progessively tighter tensions. You are turning the wheels by hand while doing this. I went through the prescribed procedure three times before I had it right. I am still not for sure what happened the first two times. However the instructions state that it shouldn't have to be done again even when changing bands once you have it right. I bought a case of bands (10) so I should be able to go awhile before I need to sharpen. On another website I read that you should make a witch's brew of 50% chainsaw bar oil and 50% diesel or kerosene and using a spray bottle apply this to the band.

glenn kangiser

I don't think I would do that.  It will be all over your wood and probably eat up your drive belts under the bands.

My saw guy recommends fairly heavy use of water - I use a fast drip to a bit under steady to lube and cool the blade.  You can tell the difference in blade life if you don't.

I have one end that is pretty well fixed and never readjusted except the first time.  The rest is done from the dead non drive end and as you say has 2 adjusters.

I don't see it totally having to be done only once as every blade can have a slight variation.  I think you will have to fine tune it to each blade, at least I have to on mine.

desdawg

That would make sense. I have a lot of headshake which causes ripples in the cut surface. It is not smooth at all. I have to do some more reading but I ran out of time. Running like a rabbit again but that beats the other alternative since I have grown fond of eating.