Still lurking and deciding

Started by redbird, June 20, 2012, 08:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbird

I just wanted to comment about how awesome John's plans are.  I've been back and forth and back and forth and all over the place shopping and looking at and designing floor plans and I think I'm settling on the 1.5 story with walkout basement with the floorplan layout almost exactly like the 2 story.  The design for living area, stair, utility bathroom, kitchen and pantry just doesn't get better.  I live for functional spaces and John really gets that in his design.   I love the way the 1.5 story looks, it's the ultimate homey home. 

Right now I'm working on figuring out how I can get a full bath on the 2nd floor of the 1.5 story home.  Can anyone weigh in on whether that is possible plumbing wise etc?  I'm thinking it could work by adding a dormer right at the top of the stairs and putting the bathroom there and then a bedroom on either side.

We've decided that we are probably not the builders we wish we could be, if it was up to us, we'd probably end up with a home with 10 types of siding and a patched roof, cause that's how we think, scrap and piece together :).  I think we'll leave the home to the professionals and we'll work on the barn and chicken coop, and little cabin ourselves ;D.

Also, another interesting thought.  We toured the Wardcraft facility the other day and were impressed with the quality of the homes (impressed meaning the quality was far superior to a mobile/manufactured home).   They build homes at their facility and then ship them in one piece to the site.  (There is a facility about 45 minutes from our site) They build 2x6 walls and build with real wood, spay insulation and quality energy efficient windows.   They claim to come in about $10-15 cheaper than stick builders (although we haven't checked yet) about $90 sq ft.  Seems expensive to me, but does fall within the range John puts on the homepage, so I don't think it's too outrageous.  What do you all think? 
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie

redbird

I'll try to put up a drawing of the 1.5 with dormer bathroom idea soon so you can get a better idea of what I'm thinking.
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie