12 x 24 in Cape Breton

Started by Alasdair, May 05, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Looks like you two have been busy, Al and Anita.  Nice pex.

It's great when you get into an area with good neighbors.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Mike 870

Wow you guys flew through that.  Good job.  I like the siding and roof, looks nice.  I wonder, does a metal color roof give similar benefits of a white roof in terms of heat deflection in the summer?  If so I'm inclined to go with the metal because it looks great.

considerations

Wow, you folks are really plowing through the project.  I am impressed!   

Alasdair

Thanks for all the positive comments,
I guess we have been lucky in terms of weather and speed (although I have not thought so all the time!) This comes down to a mfew things - 1. I am a substitute teacher so can take time off if I need to and have long summer holidays 2. I am at present  a kept man and poor Anita goes to work to keep us afloat and pay for materials. 3. We have great neighbours!

Beavers,
Quote from: Beavers on August 13, 2009, 09:29:48 PM
I have a question on your roof.  What is the benefit of the strapping, other than making it easier to work on the roof?  Do you not need to vent the ceiling then?  ???

The venting is done above the roof decking
I have R40 insulation on the underside of the decking, tyvek on top and a 2inch gap between that and the metal. (I have since been told it should be 3 inches but it's too late now!) The idea is that the air space below the metal is very close in temperature to the air above it, so stops condensation and sweating. I think it should be ok where we are as it's atop a hill and there's plenty of air movement and it has lots of venting.

Mike, I also like the metal look too but must say I'm looking forwards to the zinc dulling down a bit - it's pretty dazling on a sunny day!

Al and Anita

Beavers

Thanks Alasdair!

I'm glad you posted pics of your roof.  I thought you could just slap the steel right down on top of the tar paper. 

I did a little reading online about venting steel roofs, but really couldn't find any solid answers on what to put under a steel roof... ???

Can I ask why you didn't just use perlins instead of a solid deck?  Seems like that would give better ventilation. 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out this whole steel roof thing.   Don't really want my roof to rot out in a few years because I didn't vent it right!   :o

Bishopknight

Whats the insect screen for? Termite prevention? Was it your first time doing plumbing?

Beautiful job on everything. I like the fascia/soffit work too.

Alasdair

BishK,
The bug screen is required by code here if you use board and batten. (At least the inspector said I had to put it there!) Hopefully it will stop a few creepy crawlies moving in. I don't think termites are a problem here though. It was my first time installing a whole plumbing system I had done a few small jobs before but mostly repairs and never with the crimped pex. I was pleased with the outcome and ease and will use the same system in the house. Thanks for the praise - it means all the more as it was your own projects in part that inspired us and convinced us we could do it - thanks!

Beavers,
I agree that purlins would seem to afford better ventillation - but the roof deck made it much easier to insulate, work on and I think I read somewhere on the vicwest site that a domestic installation should have a decking under the steel. I like the fact that we have the boards and some tyvek there in case of any possible sweating water should run down the deck instead of soaking into our insulation.
Good luck with your roof - your place looks great, I like the little gable at the front, coming along nicely.
Try this site it has some good information if you sift through the sales B.S. http://www.vicwest.com/english/?local=east http://www.vicwest.ca/images/literature/enDoc73.pdf
My own tips would be to make one sheet a template and predrill all the holes before you get up there. Make sure the first sheet goes on dead true - we have a slight run out at the back and every second sheet jumps up a couple of inches (Well half an inch anyway.) The companies really gouge you on the price of the steel and trim extras for residential stuff. We bought steel and ridge cap for barn roofs - much cheaper! The extras we improvised using foam draft excluder instead of their expensive profiled foam closures and laytex/silicon sealent instead of their own brand tape and sealent. This saved us hundreds of dollars. Most importantly WEAR GLOVES. I learned this the hard way. (11 stitches and two lost days!)

Al and Anita

Beavers

Thanks for the tips, and the link to the PDF.  It's way more info than I've been able to find anywhere else, should be very helpful.

karnf

I really love your cabin. I love your board n batton look with the metal. We are building a 12x20 cabin
in western maryland with a pole barn structure with 6x6's. We put avantec on the exterior to close
with Tyvek and are planning on board n batton. Your technique which help me alot. Can you tell me
what board you used and the stain color and brand?
We went to Cape Breton a couple of years back for the 60th anniversary of the Gaelic College and it
was such an inspiring event of young and old dancing and celebrating the gaelic and scottish culture.
My husband is scottish and I am irish. My ancestors (acadians) were from the Cape Breton area who where forced out of the area in ships and landed in the swamps of Louisiana and are known as Acadians. Have you ever of the poem Evangeline? It is a story inspired by the Acadians who were from Cape Breton.
Your country is simply beautiful and I can't wait to go back and you are so lucky to be able to live and
build your dream cabin. I can't wait for your next posting.

Alasdair

Karnf,
We bought rough sawn 1x6 spruce boards from a small local mill. Rough boards are supposed to shed water better and are warmer. It was very cheap and green. I ripped some boards to about 1 1/2" for the battens. One of the advantages of board and batten is that you can put it on green as the battens cover the shrinkage. Although I wish I had put all my battens on sooner - I still didn't get round to all of them yet and some of the boards are starting to move in the sun.
The stain was "olympic" semi transparent natural cedartone 716. It was actually much oranger (orangier, orangeyier?) than we intended but we're used to it now and are pretty happy with the results. I recommend getting a pressure sprayer to paint them with (a brush would take forever with rough boards) and stain both sides of the boards before you put them on to help them dry evenly.
good luck,
Al and Anita
P.S. I havn't read Evangeline but I will definately check it out thanks!

karnf

Thanks Alasdair; you have got me motivated and excited w/ all info given to me. Happy Building!

Alasdair

Karnf, glad you like the place and delighted to be of some assistance - I've picked up so many great tips and ideas from this site that it is very rewarding to be able to reciprocate and help get some others going!  [cool]

A few more pics.

Ready for drywall

and the dry wall on

My sister in law came over to give a hand which was much appreciated

painting

and some tiling

We also bought some more rough sawn lumber for a small shed (8x12)

there won't be enough room for us and the tools in the little cabin - especially as there's going to be THREE of us soon!!  :) Anita is due some time early March :o ;D

Cheers,
Al and Anita

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Al looking real sharp. Nice job on the tile  ;D

soomb

Great news (your March arrival).
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

glenn kangiser

Looking great Al.  The tile (as well as the rest) looks professional.  Thanks for the pix. 

Time to add on already.  :)

Must be those cold winters..... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Yonderosa

Great project!

Congratulations - you know they figured out what causes that now...  :o
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

Alasdair

Thanks for all the congratulations, We are very excited!

Here's a couple of pics of my wee shed - I plan to have it finished in the next couple of days. It will certainly make it easier to finish the cabin without all the tools in it!

I think I will have enough lumber left over to make a small deck for the front of the cabin.  :D

Al

MountainDon

Nice shed Al. It really does make building the cabin with a tool shed available. Too bad many places don't allow that order of construction.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Alasdair I like the shed.  I am with you on the deck.  Probably an after thought but if you would have cantelvered the roof it would make a nice place to sit and think out of the rain ;D

glenn kangiser

Bobmarlon

that is a really fine looking shed

Ive been really impressed with the color of your roof its awesome if you don't mind me asking what kind of square foot price did you get on yours I'm planning on doing metal roof and want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Alasdair

BobM,
We got the roofing at a local farming supplies store it is Vicwest Victoria profile. If I remember correctly (I'm visiting family in the UK just now so I don't have the info to hand) it is 29 gauge steel and for the steel, ridge cap and screws cost us around $780 CAD
The total roof area was approx. 500sqft so it was just over $1.50 a sqft I think. This was about half of what we were quoted for regular domestic steel roofing.
Hope that's helpful - there's a link to their site somewhere else in this thread I think.

Here's a couple of pics of jobs we finished before we left:

The Shed

The stove

Al and Anita

Redoverfarm

upa

The slate tile look great as does the sturdy shed, nice work