Dealing with a 'ledge' between wall and rafter

Started by OlJarhead, October 25, 2011, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

In this rough drawing I've shown approximately what I have to fix in my loft.  I have 2x6 walls and 2x6 rafters with a birds-mouth cut out in the rafters.  The issue is that the rafter's birds-mouth doesn't make the raft sit all the way across the top of the wall leaving a slight 'shelf' or 'ledge' there.  I've been contemplating how to correct this for mostly cosmetic reasons and have been thinking about installing a 2x cripple from the top of the wall to the bottom of the rafter like this:

I could either screw or nail these on which would then give me nailers for the T&G pine paneling that I plan to install.  It would also mean that I could have the insulation pulled slight away from the bird blocking / venting at the eves giving it a larger area to enter the vent gap in the roof (if that matters at all)....

Thoughts?
Thanks!

OlJarhead

A slightly better drawing of what I have now -- the gray area is a hurricane tie.

Here the yellow area is where I'd put a 2x4 block to nail to.

John Raabe

Looks like a good solution to me. It beefs up the connection and provides a full nailer.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

OlJarhead

Quote from: John Raabe on October 25, 2011, 10:58:22 AM
Looks like a good solution to me. It beefs up the connection and provides a full nailer.

Thanks John!

I was thinking that done well it would probably add more structural integrity.  Specially if the 2x4's are cut at 45 degrees (12x12 pitch) and attached directly under the rafter and onto the wall.

Another thing I debated was putting a block between the rafters there also -- to give a 'false top' to the wall so that when the paneling goes on it has a full nailer the length of the wall instead of just the rafters and nailers but I'm unsure if that might just be a waste of time.

John Raabe

If the paneling is thin a backer might be helpful, but if it's 5/8" or more you can probably just cut it to the wall or trim it out to finish the transition.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

OlJarhead

Quote from: John Raabe on October 26, 2011, 11:20:06 AM
If the paneling is thin a backer might be helpful, but if it's 5/8" or more you can probably just cut it to the wall or trim it out to finish the transition.

I'm using 1/2" T&G that we are making ourselves....I might install a backer just because....