plywood subfloors

Started by louky, December 13, 2004, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louky

I've always wondered  ??? Most info I've read on T & G subflooring (plywood) recommend leaving a gap between sheets. (So much in one direction so much in the other)  Is this gap compensated for in the dimensions of the sheet?  In other words, if you maintained a 16" cc on the floor joists, and the sheets were a true 4 x 8, and you left this gap, sooner or later the joints wouldn't be centered over the joists?  How does this also apply to roof sheathing?  Thanks

jb daniels

Ray...not  a professional here, but I do know on your roof sheathing, they now require (code here) spacers between each sheet...they are just small metal clamp-like things that simply slip on between edges...I used them on the entire roof...easy to do and they give you the required spacing...I did not use them on the floor...

Dennis Kuhn

Ray,  Actually you can't get a true 4 feet out of the Georgia Pacific T&G subflooring.  I think it is a full 1/4" short.  Which is way to big in my estimation.  I had to span 16 feet and when I got over with my fourth sheet I was almost 2" short.  

A contractor friend told me in the past they had to guard against creep because of the spacing.  Now I think they compensated for it but way to much.

The 8 feet is 8 feet.

louky

Dennis:  Thanks, this was the info I wanted.