20 X 40 1.5 log cabin - our latest pictures

Started by chatycady, August 18, 2006, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Looking great.  Better too big on the lift than too small.

Thanks for the update on your project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

chatycady I would say from the trees near the house that the longer lift would come in handy reaching from one end to the other where the trees would prohibit you from manuvering the lift through them.

Glad to see the white frame window on the log house.  I had my reservations about going with white but were 1/3 the cost of brown or green finishes.  I have already forgotten about them now and have moved onto something else to worry about. 

When I see a new log home I am glad that mine is old logs as I do not have to be as picky with my trim work. More rustic the better. 

Nice looking place.

John

chatycady

I would love to build an authentic log home, but that is much more labor intensive. I don't know how to run a chain saw and  I don't think I have the stength to hang onto one!

I have always liked white windows - It's a personal choice. I looked at a lot of cabins with green and tan trim, but I decided to use white and tie it together with the white facia board. White is clean and bright.
I also used white electrical outlets and switches - white appliances and white bathroom fixtures. Never cared for almond color.

There is no trying, only doing!

apaknad

hi chatycady,

being a somewhat new member here i just ran across your post and went back through your project from the start. very nice! i was wondering if you could give me the name or site of the place you got the logs? i know you mentioned it but i could not find them. i am leaning towards the 1.5 plan and never really considered using logs because i did not think i could afford them even though i love log cabins. thanx for all the great ideas!
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

chatycady

I got them from Mike Udelhoven in Cassville, WI. I ordered them over the phone. I believe he has a website for the furniture he makes. Google Unigue Creations in Cassville WI. I think you will find him. Or google his name. That's how I located him. I had to pay around $400 for trucking them to the site.

Isn't there such great ideas here on this website? I love little cottages.

chatycady

608-725-5590 - Udelhoven Log home phone number. I hope this isn't a violation of any rules. ???

Redoverfarm

chatycady

Give me an honest answer.  With the old logs as on mine do they really stand out that much? Just thought I would ask but they are there to stay.

On the recepticles I am trying to find some grey recepticles and plates as all the boxes in the log portion are mounted in the chink joint which is mortar.  All others in the Board & Batten room and lofts will be in wood or drywall so the color of the surface will dictate the plate and switches.  Maybe brown in the wood portion and white on the drywall.  As for the appliances I have white toilets and pedestal sinks for the master and loft bathrooms.  Undecided with the kitchen.  White or stainless.

considerations

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 17, 2008, 06:49:40 PM

On the recepticles I am trying to find some grey recepticles and plates as all the boxes in the log portion are mounted in the chink joint which is mortar. 

http://www.wallplatewarehouse.com/?gclid=CLKLzL61yJQCFQS7sgod9FsLkw

chatycady

I love the chinking on "real" log homes. I don't have that in mine. Again it's much more labor intensive. But nothing can beat real wood logs and light color chinking. If it were my decision I would use white switch plates to match the chinking and your white windows. But you have to live with it! We lived in a house with the receptacle of off white and plate covers of another color of off white. I could never match the receptacle color - must have been a discountinued color. It bothered me the 10 years I lived there! It was a brand new home and the builder would not fix them. Now I could change them myself!

Here are some pictures of the framing as we went.

A little double exposure going on here!

ScottA

Your house looks really nice. Looks like a lot of love went into it.  :)

chatycady

Redover

I looked at your pictures again - and yes I think the chinking (mortar) and old logs stand out. The stone adds a lot too! That front door is awesome!

Wouldn't it be fun to tour the country and see all these cottages in person? An annual Open House across the country. Kind of like they do around here with old restored barns, or quilt patches painted on the barns.

Just a thought. People could register there cottages on line. ......

apaknad

hi chatycady,
thanx for the info on the logs. i will contact them. now looking at these new(?) photos, is there some sort of gasket material between the logs or caulking? just luv the way you did this and i will definitly be using some of your ideas(along w/a million others from this forum :)).
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

chatycady

Yes there is a gasket between the logs. We ran two on each log and between joints and then used "Log Hog" screws to tie them together.

Bought both off the internet. I shopped around until I found the best prices on both.

Foam Gaskets

FOAMSEAL manufactures a comprehensive line of custom engineered PVC (PolyvinylChloride) Foam & Foam Tapes to provide an economical solution to your most demanding sealing and cushioning requirements.

Oly Log Hog Screws
Similar to the Oly log screws with larger 15/64" shank and larger 5/16" hex head.
Made of heat treated steel for increased strength and drivability.
Coated for corrosion resistance.
Gimlet point for fast drilling.
These come with 3" of thread at the tip. (threaded area has 5/16" of major diameter).

Best to install using high torque, low RPM 1/2" electric drill.
To allow for settling, sink head of screw a minimum of 1/4" below surface of log.
Use with larger diameter Milled log and Handcrafted logs and locations that may need additional seismic or wind engineering.

jwv

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 17, 2008, 06:49:40 PM
chatycady

On the recepticles I am trying to find some grey recepticles and plates as all the boxes in the log portion are mounted in the chink joint which is mortar.  All others in the Board & Batten room and lofts will be in wood or drywall so the color of the surface will dictate the plate and switches.  Maybe brown in the wood portion and white on the drywall.  As for the appliances I have white toilets and pedestal sinks for the master and loft bathrooms.  Undecided with the kitchen.  White or stainless.
If you're talking indoor faceplates, I have had good luck painting them. Just scuff them with some sandpaper, spray them with primer made for plastic and have fun.  I then put a sealer over them.  You can have them any color you want.  I had them in a house when the boys were in the 6-12 yr d range and had no problems with the paint coming off.

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Redoverfarm

Thanks Judy.  I had thought about that but the recepticles and the switches need to match the plates.  In fact I will be painting two. One for the outside recepticle on the porch and the other is above the mantle.  It is in the stone wall and fireplace.  I will find some fleck stone paint or just try to make it blend in with the rock. Outside will be a door covered outside recepticle and the other is a duplex and TV/Telephone.

Sassy

Really beautiful!  You've done a wonderful job  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

chatycady

Thanks Sassy. There are a lot of wonderful, inspiring cabins and cottages on this website. I was inspired after finding this place! :)