New House Truckee, CA Historic District

Started by Danfish, April 08, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfish

Iron work complete...

Danfish

Finishing touch...kitchen fireplace

View from entry looking through dinning room/kitchen pass-thru...

Danfish

Passed last inspection before the final, shower pan test...Schulter systems makes the process bomb proof, held 25 gallons of water for two days without loss of one drop!

Danfish

It's tile time... one shower floor down...

The wife always likes a creature feature in the kitchen backsplash, had this guy left over from a previous project...

This machine will get a real workout on this project...

rick91351

Wow the tile saw is something I dream about!!!  They are so nice and so much better than anything we have used.   [cool] COOL TOOL!!! MAN COOL TOOL!!! 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Nice saw setup. My tile cutting has always involved getting sprayed / wet and having water running down my driveway.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

mmmm tile saaawwww

I've always had to score hope and hit !

Nice stair case by the way !

Danfish

That tile saw set up was one of the best tool investments todate and the saw shack allows working inside with no mess, with no need to constantly set up and disassemble as when working outside!!!  There are a number of complex cuts on this job and a good saw makes life so much better.

Flooring off and rolling...

Danfish

Tile, tile and more tile...put sealer on kitchen backsplash and checked one more item off the list

Seems like I have been stuck in the first of two showers for weeks now...just so McDonald's doesn't have one over me have created my own "golden arches", which I felt required a form to get everything in the right place...

Finished product right after grout

Another tool every tilt setter should have to cut and polish those odd cuts...

pmichelsen

Each set of pictures is even more amazing than the last. I can only hope the finishes in my place are half as good as yours.

Danfish

Finished shower tile on to the floors!

Bath #2 after grout dried (tumbled marble)...

Master bath (polished Carrara marble)...

Kirdi-Board shower bench...

A sea of orange as Ditra uncoupling membrane goes on master bath floor...

Layout of tile (honed Carrara marble, 2 inch hex pattern) to determine best cuts and edge treatment...

Danfish

Bouncing around trying to finish items before carpet installation in bedrooms.  Just finished master bathroom floor tile and now trying to wrap up fireplace cabinet in second bedroom.  Face frame built for fireplace cabinet...

mwhutch

Your house looks amazing! [cool] If you dont mind me asking what does your corner kitchen sink and cabinet measure? Did you make it yourself or did you have them made? We are putting in a corner sink, but I didn't think there would be enough room for more than a 24-25" wide sink. Also do you like working with ditra and kerdi, and where do you buy it from? Thanks so much for your time!
-Marcy

Danfish

The sink is 30 inches wide and the counters are standard depth.  To avoid wasted space in the corner behind the sink I designed the inset with small pull out cabinet faces on each side.  These units where custom built by a local shop.

I am sold on the Schulter products, both Kerdi and Ditra are a snap to work with.  Laying tile over Ditra for floors and counter tops makes the job so much easier.  However, they are expensive products, but the German quality is unbeatable!  Their products are available at most large tile suppliers and even some of the big box stores.  Also, remember you get waterproofing and uncoupling with these products...something you don't get with most tile underlayment.  Recently, I was about to order some Schulter metal profiles for tile edge treatment and discover a similar product carried by a local box store at less than half the cost.  Wasn't entirely sold on the quality of the box store product and when the Schulter product arrived I saw why, it was 100 times better.

Had I known about Kerdi-Board before installing the cement board on the shower enclosures that would have saved both money and all the work of installing the Kerdi membrane.  Kerdi-Board already has the waterproof surface and all you have to do is seal the joints with Kerdi-Band.  I was able to use Kerdi-Board for the shower bench and soap/shampoo niches. 

Danfish

Primer on bedroom #2 fireplace, a couple of coats of finish and that will be done!  Well almost, doors on bottom, crown molding, and some exterior shelves on the sides will come later.

Master bath floor complete, toilet installed so I can remove toilet in 2nd bath to begin floor tile.  Tub positioned for future install after bead board wainscot installed behind tub.

Danfish

Jig saw puzzle anyone?  Laying out this Versailles tile pattern can be interesting.

Danfish

Floor coverings almost complete, so won't have to look at the subflooring anymore.   Master bedroom carpet...

Guest bedroom...

The design team beat me up and convinced me leopard carpet would be just the ticket in my loft office, so now we are calling it the Serengeti room...

Laundry room tile floor...

Coat closet off the mud room has an access hatch to reach water system drain valves and I wanted it to blend in with surrounding floor.  Used metal edge profile to set tile against...

Finished product...

Danfish

"Snow Day"   I needed a break anyway!  Didn't stop Mr. Jay from begging for his morning peanut...

First snow of the season for Lake Tahoe...

Danfish

Another snow day, time to sort out progress.  Finished up cabinet toe-kicks and bases...

Danfish

Starting to wrap up!  Kitchen finished...

Laundry room (almost)...

Danfish

If we're not going to have winter in Northern California might as well work on house.

Put in some time installing interior doors.  Mud Room: coat closet on left, left center is weather-stripped water heater closet (takes combustion air from outside), right center is bath #2, and right is fire door to garage (self-closing and weather-stripped)...

Pocket doors in pantry and master bath...

Bi-Fold closet doors in master bedroom (got to love that Johnson hardware for these doors)...

Danfish

Putting up light fixtures is something we don't give too much thought to when it's one or two...but a whole house full can chew up some serious time.  Would hate to pay an electrician for this work!  The Chinese manufactures (try and buy one not made in China) have managed to design fixtures that make the electrical work next to impossible.

Master bath, bath #2 and hall...

Finally getting into the fun stuff, trim work. Mock up of window stools and gluing up stool assembly...

Danfish

Will soon be back to tile mode so started to lay out backsplash pattern...

Laundry sink and bath #2 sink:

rick91351

I am so enjoying your build.  You are going so way above and beyond.  Love that area as well. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Danfish

Well Rick, to go further beyond... custom milling some window stools:

The mill set up, it took four four different bits to make final product ...