WOW Great site, newbie here with questions

Started by cvcman, August 25, 2008, 08:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvcman

Humm where to start. I own 5-1/2 acres near me that I would like to build a bak up home/cabin on for my wife and I to live in. How big should we go for just us 2 ? It is in Upstate NY so we get lots of snow and cold. Would we be better off with a basement ??

Any kit companys out there we should look at ?? Any help and ideas we are all ears

Thanks

n74tg

Welcome to the forum.

How big for two people is a tough question.  Best answer I can give is...it depends...on what all you want to have in your back up home/cabin. 

Me, by myself, I could and have gotten by nicely on 400 sq ft.  Yes, I know that is larger than a lot of the houseplans on this site, but at least I do know about how small I can go and still be comfortable. 

Now, me and the girlfriend, her 1500 sq ft place is sometimes too small for the both of us. 

So, maybe the correct question is how "close" and "how often" do you and the wife like being in real close proximity to each other. 

Now, that's looking at it from the people perspective.  The other perspective is how much junk do you need to be comfortable?  Some people "need" a really large kitchen, complete with all the gadgets and room for three or more cooks to work simultaneous.  Others "need" that really big master bathroom.  What do you and the mrs. "need"?

Kit companies, sorry, I can't help there. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum cvcman.

Most kit companies will cost you more than what you can do for yourself anyway.  Many people get a kit - have it delivered - dropped on the ground and there it sits for years because it is not the easy to put together kit they thought it would be anyway. 

Better to study up - learn what you are doing and just do it.  Then it is your design.  With a kit it is their design.

You may like a basement if you need to go most of the way there for footing anyway - deep frost line.  It gives extra room too.

My grandfather was born in Dolgeville, NY 1890 - have a cousin in Syracuse.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

w* cvcman

How much space for 2 people? As Glenn stated... depends.

Loads of factors to consider, monetary thru personal preferences, and more.

One room, two....  ???

I know this is not being very helpful, but space is personal. You said "to live in". Permanent all year round? Or seasonal.

We decided on a 16 x 30 after a year and a half of planning. This is a second home, recreational property. It grew from our original thoughts of 12 x 24. It is presently under construction and documented on this forum.

If this was our permanent home... well, ask me next year. Already I'm thinking I need to build a car port that I can enclose into a garage/barn/shop at some point down the road.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

deedonke2

hello,and welcome,we both jioned a great site keep on brosing thru ,and a lot of answers will be obtained.plans can be gotten from here.and formum wiil help answer lots of questions.
darrell