Info on Spam & Spammers

Started by MountainDon, October 02, 2009, 09:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Thanks to everyone who used the "report to moderator" link this morning and reported the two spam posts. There were six of you.

The reason behind spammers making that sort of a post, a sometimes nonsensical comment with a link to a website, is not only to get people to visit the website. There's a hidden agenda. Search engines use a variety of criteria to rank a web page popularity. One of those criteria is the number of links there are on other pages to the page in question. That's a reason why some websites like to exchange links. These spammers, known as comment spammers, try to cheat the system. They add this sort of crap to as many forums, blogs and even guestbooks as they can. When the search engine robots, sometimes called spiders, come along the link is noted.

Many of these spammers are in Russia, India, The Philippines, Africa and Eastern Europe.

Just in case anyone wondered.

Thanks,
Country Plans Administrators
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Thanks for your work on this site.  It certainly does not go unnoticed.

rlr  :)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I have seen these spammers make a website nearly unusable.  Our goal is to not let that happen here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Too bad the FTC cannot do as well as the moderators here.

glenn kangiser

Thanks considerations.  Between the bunch of us we will try to not let them waste our forum.

A gold forum I was on closed to the public and started charging new as well as old members.  I quit that one.  The members are the forum and we want to keep this one free and useful as well as relatively easy for new ones to access.

The gold forum was trapped because the forum software was owned by the host.  That made it susceptible to spam and unable to change to better software.  The security in our software is pretty good so we think we can handle it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

SMF (the software) is pretty good.  There is a new version being tested right now. I have downloaded the RC 2 but haven't played with it yet. It has some new anti spammer controls along with improved search engine indexing. And here's a biggie, the "total time logged in" counter at page top is either gone or it's an option.  ;D I know someone here who will rejoice at that. It's not ready for prime time yet, but nearly there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

Quote from: MountainDon on November 28, 2009, 10:36:08 PM
And here's a biggie, the "total time logged in" counter at page top is either gone or it's an option.  ;D I know someone here who will rejoice at that. It's not ready for prime time yet, but nearly there.

MD,

I hate to admit the amount of time I've spent perusing this board.  I hate even more to see it in print.  That being said, The thing I hate most is spammers.  Hate to see 'em. Love to see 'em busted.  Thanks for your efforts!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

speedfunk

[cool]

Thanks you all (Glenn,Don and John) for this really kick ass place :)

Jeff

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Jeff.  We try to keep it enjoyable and useful for all. :)

Thanks to the members for making it a forum.  Without you it would be of no use.

miman

thanks for making this one of the best sites on the net. [cool]

glenn kangiser

Thanks for being here.  

We also want you to be able to post your projects and pictures here so your friends and family can be invited to come here and look at your progress. 

We try to make sure as many as possible have a good experience here without being intimidated or put down when asking or answering questions.  I hated that when I was a kid. :)

PA-Builder

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 15, 2009, 11:24:08 PM
...  I hated that when I was a kid. :)

Now we know when the problems started . . .

You & Sassy have a good holiday! 

glenn kangiser

G., It all started the day my mom found me under a rock... [waiting]

She was being chased by revenuers, tripped, fell, and there I was..... [crz]

The best to you and yours also... :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 22, 2009, 02:29:42 AM
G., It all started the day my mom found me under a rock... [waiting]

And you have been there ever since.

glenn kangiser

I had to dig a lot to get back under there... [crz]