220 outlets

Started by peternap, December 17, 2012, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

OK...I'm 220 outlet ignorant!

I want to use my welder with my generator. All my Generators have this outlet:

My welder needs this outlet:

Does anyone make an adapter or do I have to replace the plug? :-\
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

diyfrank

Your generator takes the 30 amp L14 plug. You can buy a pig tail that your welder takes and put an L14 plug on the other end, if I understanding your question.
Home is where you make it

peternap

Yep, that's what I was looking for. Thanks !
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

I made a extention cord for my welder -- it is useful

you should use 10 GA 4 wire cable (expensive ) there are 2 grounds and 2 120 VAC legs on the generator plug

One ground should be an actual earth ground for safety (it is the green one inside the generator plug where you connect the wires)

"X" and "Y" are the 120 VAC  L1 and L2

the other is W (for white I guess) that is the other ground used for the L1 and L2 lines

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

craig

The W terminal on the 4-pin twistlock is the neutral. The G is the ground. You should only use the W terminal in 120 VAC applications. To hook up your welder plug on 220VAC, you should use the X and Y for the hot legs and G for the ground.