Why I will never buy Maytag again

Started by Windpower, December 12, 2012, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

If you have one of these Maytag Neptune washers you have my sympathy

This quarter cost $330
it is the perfect size to lodge in the drain pump and either destroy it or plug it

One month later after both may wife and I were checking pockets another slipped through

This time they covered the call back and only charged $70

Maytag said I could buy a service plan every year for $360 that would include unlimited calls
I was temped to buy it and launder large numbers of quarters just for fun ...

So I made a filter

the Model Mark II Maytag Neptune quarter filter
About $35 in fittings

Here are the components

It fits right here

Some creative plumbing re-routing

If this doesn't work I understand steel recycling is almost 10 cents a pound

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

flyingvan

I've had good luck with appliance parts pros http://www.appliancepartspros.com/  for parts.  It seems all the parts are pretty much plug and play now, so if there's an error code to work with you can usually figure out what you need.   I've replaced that same filter basket assembly.  Also our wall oven's motherboard (very cleverly mounted to the top of the oven so it can get nice and hot)...
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Windpower

This brilliantly designed device had no filter at all --- just straight to the pump from the drum bottom
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Huge29

All of the different brands will have a lemon occasionally, but I have heard so many stories about Maytag that I would not ever buy one again and all of my apppliances are Amana, the higher end Maytag.  Whirlpool acquired them about ten years ago and made them much cheaper cutting quality sharply.  We have gone with LG and done very well as we have had to replace them.

peternap

I've had good luck with the washer I bought my wife ;D

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

firefox

Just a note on the LG's. I just read a report that some of the
models of top loading LG's had a problem such that the vibration
was causing them to break apart and cause both damage to people
and property. Not sure on the details. Came from a manufacturing
news letter I subscribe to.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824