Thoughts on interior siding

Started by stagalv, November 30, 2004, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stagalv

???
Hello, I am new to this site and really enjoy it.  I have a small 16x16 (including front porch) cabin near Austin Tx.   I am at the point where I need to finish out the interior walls and am looking for some advice.

I have just placed some insulation between the studs and am ready to place the siding/walls in.  I have chosen 1/2" x 6" cedar from a local cedaryard in Smithville, Tx.  Should I place these vertically or horizontially?  I can't really think of a benefit of either way.   I do have 6 windows and a window unit A/C to cut around so which way makes it easier?

Thanks for the input!

stagalv

Here is a pic of the cabin I am asking you about.  I hope this pic works!

borgdog

Mostly its a personal taste thing, but with studs running vertical, it is much easier to put it on horizontally than vertically which would require block to nail it to.  I like the horizontal interior wood walls, gives it that log cabin kinda feel.

Nice looking little cabin btw.

Dan

glenn-k

I am using 1/2 x log width incense cedar clapboard siding inside the bedroom in my underground cabin.  The log edges are unfinished and top is lapped over the bottom board appx 1"  to allow for shrinkage as the board dries.  I used 2x2's at the ends for trim.  I agree that horizontal is easiest and looks good too.

Glenn

Micky S.

Given what Dan said about studs, I'd have to agree with him.  I think that, with small cabin, the horizontal "lines" will help to make the space feel larger, kind of like the way a shirt with horizontal stripes can make a person seem heavier.

That's a great-looking cabin, BTW.  Did you build it yourself or have someone do it?  I'm in the Austin area too and hope at some point to build one like that.

stagalv

Thanks for the comments.  

I had the cabin built by a guy out of Montgomery Texas.  He and two guys built it onsite in two long days. I am really pleased with the quality.