Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Eric she suggested I do it only a couple of hours at a time and take pain killers before I start.

I'm using 6 1/4" Fiberglass batts installed with the paper side up. I'm using nylon string stapled across the joists to keep it from falling out until I get the bottom skin on.

TexstarJim

Quote from: ScottA on August 29, 2009, 08:01:40 AM
Eric she suggested I do it only a couple of hours at a time and take pain killers before I start.

I'm using 6 1/4" Fiberglass batts installed with the paper side up. I'm using nylon string stapled across the joists to keep it from falling out until I get the bottom skin on.

You know, up until now, I've debated with myself on whether to insulate my floor now or later.  I think the prudent move is to insulate now, nap later.  Even with my more than adequate crawl space, it would be a chore to do it from beneath.  It will be so much easier to install the insulation from above, then deck over the top. 

Thanks for convincing me Scott and you didn't even realize you were.  Great thing about this forum, reading and seeing what others are doing can help observer. ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

considerations

From Floor, descending:

2 x 6 T&G
R22 Roxul bats
Bird netting stapled to floor joists to hold the Roxul against the bottom of the floor.
Air space
Tyvek stapled to bottom of floor joists, covering the whole bottom of the house
1/4" hardware cloth stapled to the bottom of the floor joists to keep kritters out of the tyvek and the spaces above.
moisture barrier on the ground under the house.

Then around the house; pressure treated plywood on a 2 x 4 frame as "skirting".....vented somewhere.

I don't have to worry about the venting yet, I only have 3 pieces  of plywood in place so far.   :-\

ScottA

TexastarJim if you can keep it dry do it now. Much easier.  d*

ScottA

I ordered the woodstove today. It's a Jotul 602. Should be in by the end of the week.

This stove qualifys for the tax credit I found out today so we'll get some of our money back from Obama Fed Inc.

My tile man is comming back tomorrow. He should get the wall tile finished. I'll try to get a pic.

I started priming the cieling. Hope to have that done tomorrow as well.

Can anyone suggest a good nailer for cabinet building? I need to get one this weekend.

TexstarJim

Scott, about 3 years ago I fell off into a bargain at Home Depot and was able to buy the compressor with 3 different guns for less than $250.  Since then, I've seen them do this on a regular occasion.  Portor Cable equipment, been really satisfied with all of them.

Wood stove sure does look inviting and cozy.  ;D

jdhen

Scott,
Where did you order the woodstove from and can I ask what price you got on it?
Jesse

Redoverfarm

Scott did you order the black finish or did you go preppy with us.

ScottA

I ordered the stove from our local dealer. The price is $967 + tax. I will get a 30% tax credit from that so about $300. So after the credit the price will be about $700. John it's black just like the one in the pic.

MountainDon

The Jotul is a nice stove. I was on our short list along with a Morso.

Are you doing the chimney out the back or the top?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

MikeOnBike

I have been very pleased with my Porter Cable BN200 brad nailer.

Redoverfarm

You will probably have more leadway with the clearence against the wall with it coming out of the top.   

ScottA

Wood stove guy called today said the stove probly won't be in till next week due to something or other.
A friend of mine also recommended Porter Cable. That's probly what I'l get.
Tile man was here all day. I got the cieling primed today but no pics. I never got that far.  :P

TexstarJim

You know, with the increased use of wood stoves across the country, I figure it won't be all that long before the environmentalists and tree-huggers cry foul.  Al Gore and his bunch will say all the wood stoves are depleting the ozone and causing global warming at an accelerated rate. 

I plan on using one in my new cabin.  If someday they start crying about all of us using them, I'll take up a collection and send em all a big box of tissues. d*

ScottA

Yep, I figure that will happen too. So I bought an EPA aproved stove just in case even though it's not required here. Besides it's more efficent. At the moment though the government is promoting wood stove use by giving tax credits.

Redoverfarm

There are some states already who have imposed a different set of rules to govern wood stoves.  Thank God WV isn't one of them.  Shoot alot of Coal furnaces here so that will keep them busy before they get to the wood stoves.

MountainDon

I for one do not have a problem with EPA certified wood burning stoves being made mandatory for all new installations.

We (the country as a whole, that is) have made huge strides in generally cleaning up the air we breath. It's been mainly a combination of automobile and industrial cleaning up, but the old wood burning stoves contributed to dirty air as well. It would be a shame to have the air returned to  increase in the numbers of older style less efficient dirty burning wood stoves pre mid-1980's. Not only are the newer stoves cleaner burning they use less wood. The cleaner burn results in cleaner chimneys meaning fewer chimney cleanings are required. Fewer chimney fires are reported in homes using the newer stoves. In places like neighboring Albuquerque where they have no burn days, EPA certified stoves are exempt from the ban. That's a federal law.

You can still install new wood burning stoves that do not meet the EPA regs, as long as they have a firebox larger than 20 cu ft and weigh more than 1760 pounds.   ;D

FWIW, WA state has stricter emission requirements, 4.5 grams per hour instead of 7.5 grams per hour (non-catalytic types).  Many of the wood burning stoves on the market meet those regs already.

Some of the new stoves are incredibly clean burning. The VC Defiant Encore (current model) is rated at 0.60 grams per hour!

I am glad there's no coal burning that I know of around here. Coal smoke can be nasty.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I agree with the coal. Fortuneately this is one county on the state of 55 that does not have a mine in it.  On either side do.  There are a few buildings in town that still have a coal fired boiler and you can tell right away.  They have coal delivered from the other counties.  In fact that is the only sorce of air pollution  we have here.  Most of the industry here is timber, tourism or agricultural.  Oh I am mistaken.  There is a State Park in Cass that runs a coal fired tourism train ( Shay Engine) up the mountain a couple times a day during the summer. Talk about coal smoke.

There are even some stove manufacturers that make a regular stove with less emissions than one with a catalytic converter.  Mine does not have but it is set up to burn the gas off again and produces very little smoke.

ScottA

The coal smoke from the shay's is ok with me. I rode that train a few years ago. Fun!  :)

Early unfinished shower pics.

Shower floor tile and grout tomorrow with luck.

Ceiling primed and ready for 1st coat of paint tomorrow.

Everywhere you see osb will be woodwork eventualy.

I talked to my water contractor today and he has set the 14th as a firm date to do the road boring.

Jens

Looks great Scott.  Grouting tile on the ceiling is tons of fun  d*.  How did you solve the problem of the tile board not being straight anymore once it comes down over the extra thickness of the membrane?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

ScottA

QuoteHow did you solve the problem of the tile board not being straight anymore once it comes down over the extra thickness of the membrane?

I hired someone else to figure it out. No problem.

Arizona Highlander

Great job Scott!
Man have you made your vision a reality.
Love the siding and the clean look.

[cool]
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Redoverfarm

Looks good Scott.  Is the floor tile in the shower the same or smaller?