Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I could do it myself but I don't do boring or road work so it's smarter to let someone who does do it. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Should be just over $4k for the whole job. I think someones hungry ATM.

Redoverfarm

Turned out real nice.  Once you get the piers covered it should be finished on the exterior?

ScottA

Well lets see...rock the piers...deck fascia...rain gutters...does it ever end? All that will have to wait till after we move in. I got a deadline to meet.

glenn kangiser

Great that you got the water worked out halfway reasonable, Scott.  Cabin's looking great.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bobmarlon

Hey Scott siding and rock looks great and good luck with the water.

I was curious how deep the footings for your foundation were and if there was any advice you could give on the cinder block foundation.  I haven't seen it anywhere else on the site.   Is there any reason you chose it over piers. 

ScottA

The footers vary from about 18-24" deep from the low side to the high side. The frost line here is less than 12". (You need to use a depth thats appropriate for your area.) Each pier has 2- 4' long steel pins driven into the ground like "x" under it as anchors. I used blocks because I mixed on site so they saved some work.  Seemed like a good way to do it to me. As for advice all I can say is make sure you get them all straight and level.

The water has cleared the first hurdle. The board approved the road crossing last night.

mtman

Wow really looks great Scott! Your place is one of my all time favorites, I check in once in a while to check out the progress. Glad you got the water deal worked out!

ScottA

Cieling got rocked this week. I'm working on the walls now. I guess that means it was insulated too, doh. Anyways it's getting hot again after a week break in the weather. I forgot the camera so no pics. Besides it's too messy for pics atm. I'll be working on cleaning up a bit this weekend. 5 months to the deadline.  [scared]

Oh I forgot to mention a lady came by the other day and she wants to clone my cabin. She asked me if I could be available for consulting. Now I just need to figure out how much to charge for that.

ScottA

Redoverfarm

I thought at much after I posted.  You were laying rock but this would have been a new one on me.   d*

ScottA

Tilecrete sub base for the shower liner.

Shower liner installed. Note the mildew resistant drywall in the bathroom. The shower walls get Densguard. http://www.gp.com/BUILD/product.aspx?pid=6388.

Cieling drywall.

Flue for the woodstove.

ScottA

I put walk planks across the scissors to install the drywall. All the drywall is installed now. I need to finish the osb substrate for the paneling on the walls this week. Next week I'll mud and tape the drywall. Getting very busy around deer run.

Redoverfarm

But you can now see the progress when it gets busy.  What are your plans for wraping the scissors? 1 X material?  Thats alot of intersections to deal with.  And of course it wouldn't end up with convientional sizes would it .  Just curious Scott what is with the boxing around the flue pipe at the ceiling?

ScottA

I'm not going to wrap them with anything. They will get sanded stained a dark color and call it good. I have faith it will look fine.

I'm not sure what you mean about the flue. The flat cieling above the window is to deflect light back down into the room. I know I'm wierd but it works.

Redoverfarm

I guess that is what I was looking at.  It looks to be about 4-5' long from the window.  I thought you might put a 1X at least to cover the  three layers of 2X material on it's face to make it look more of a beam than rafter. 

ScottA

It's hard to tell from the pics but the top of that vault is 17' off the floor.

MountainDon

There's a lot of labor in that sheetrock. Looking fine; glad it was not my ceiling.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: ScottA on August 04, 2009, 07:20:44 PM
I'm not going to wrap them with anything. They will get sanded stained a dark color and call it good. I have faith it will look fine.

I'm not sure what you mean about the flue. The flat cieling above the window is to deflect light back down into the room. I know I'm wierd but it works.

There is a restaurant near here with exposed scissors - they look fine - and interesting I think.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TexstarJim

Scott, I'm really proud for you and I feel your pain for all the hard work.  Oklahoma's weather is very unforgiving and we're prisoners when its ice everywhere and in the summer, 103 in the shade.  I just finished reading your entire thread from beginning to end and now making my reply.  Like I said above, really proud for you.  Gives me encouragement too because I just started my lake cabin and will start a thread in a few days.

I'm on Lake Eufaula and I'm looking forward to sharing my building experience as you have.  Very informative to read and see, gives ideas and inspiration.  Thanks for taking the time for pics and narration as you have progressed from some cinder blocks in the ground to a beautiful cabin tucked away in the trees! ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

ScottA

Thanks TexastarJim. It's been and still is an adventure. Eufala is a nice area and not all that far from here.

My son and I did the drywall in 3 days Don. Then it took me 3 days to recover.  :P

The wife and I went and picked up the tile for the shower Saturday. My tile man / best friend thinks he will get to it this week since he's slow. I finnished up the walls downstairs and will start closing up in the loft in the AM. Still mucho hot around here. Should be fun working up their so I got a new fan as well to help move the air around.

mtman

Any updates on the tile work Scott? Can't wait to see how it turns out!

ScottA

He got started on the tile for the shower (maybe 2/3 done) but had to stop due to a big job starting up. It's going to look nice. It's a little fancy is all I can say for now. Hopefully he'll get back on it soon.

Here's a pic of the shower with the densguard in place. I haven't taken any pics of the tile yet.

In other news. I finnished sanding the cieling and started cleaning up the mess today. Hopefully my shop vac holds out so I can get it all cleaned up tomorrow. With any luck I'll get it primed next week.

I started insulating the floor part time as considerations suggested (maybe 1/3 done) .

Also I got everything in place (permits, contracts, etc,) for the water to be installed in 2 weeks if there are no further delays.

The weather is finaly cooling off so things should speed up again.

MountainDon

I'll be watching for the fancy tile.  :)  No matter what you do it's going to be fancier than our planned plain vanilla walls.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Hey Scott,

I started insulating the floor part time as considerations suggested (maybe 1/3 done) .

I looked back into the thread but don't see what Considerations suggested.  How are you insulating the floor?  I'm kind of thinking of insulating my manshed floor before I deploy since it will be the dead of winter when I get back and it will likely be easier to insulate it now. 

Eric