foundation question

Started by sclemens, August 18, 2007, 02:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sclemens

We are looking to buy the solar saltbox plan but are not so much concerned with the solar aspect as the floor plan and design.  Is it possible to have the foundation option of a full basement?  I know it would negate a lot of the solar design but we really need the basement and love the floor plan and design.  

glenn kangiser

I don't see any reason that would not be doable.  John will probably pop in here with some comments soon.

Welcome to the forum.

There would also still be ways to benefit from the solar option in one form or another. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Yes, the Solar Saltbox could easily be set up over a basement. Several folks have done this. It has an 8" concrete foundation wall and an 8x16 footing so these are already setup for a full basement wall (the foundation contractor will add extra rebar in the taller walls). The stair is also easily wrapped around and down into a basement.

You could eliminate the masonry thermal storage column and get back a bit more floorspace if you don't need it for the solar heat storage.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

sclemens

Do you know of anyone who has posted pictures of their saltbox on your site?  I can't find anything about it except where you have posted your own home.  It would be neat to see others but I haven't run across any yet.  Could the basement be built from cement blocks?  I ask because we have an abundance of those and thought to use them for our basement. ::)

John Raabe

There aren't too many versions of the Solar Saltbox on this site. It hasn't been as popular a plan as some of the smaller and simpler 20' wide houses. (There are other versions of it on Whidbey Island however :D.) With all the options it is a more complex house - especially for a first time builder. (I know, I had help.) While the basic shape and construction is simple, this detailed plan should have a careful experienced builder at the helm. It is not the first house someone without experience should attempt on their own.

Yes, with proper rebar and waterproofing a block wall basement is easy to build. Here is a manufacturers site that makes a good case for a block basement over a poured one. It is certainly easier for the owner builder who wants to use their own labor.

http://www.atlasblock.com/residential_foundation.htm
None of us are as smart as all of us.