20x32 lake cabin w/loft

Started by naturebug, August 02, 2011, 10:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naturebug

Three years ago we purchased a lot by the lake at Pomme De Terre in Missouri. We paid cash so we would have no loan on it. The following year we had saved enough money to install the septic and run the water. We set up our camper there and enjoyed it that way until this spring when we sold the camper to start the cabin. We started in May of this year and it has been more work than we thought but very much worth it so far. We are building as money allows so it is a slow process. I had bought the 1 1/2 story plans from country plans about 3 years ago when we first bought the property. It seems odd after all these years to finally be showing the progress on OUR own home. I will try to figure out how to add photos and hope to post some today.

naturebug

This is a picture of the footings. We only had one corner to pour the concrete and we dragged it with rakes and shovel to the rest of the areas. It was a hard two hours of work.

This is my husband laying the block foundation. We had hired a man to do this but he worked for about 30 minutes and "took a break" never to return. My husband had taken off work and had to learn how to do this quick. He managed to get them laid in 2 weekends and it seems to be a really good job (a little messy with the mortar but strong).

A picture of the corner blocks.

This is the finished foundation. Glad to get it done.

Floor joist and most of the subfloor installed. There is a beam running down the center so joist are 12 ft allowing 2 ft overlap at 10 ft center.

naturebug

We started the walls this past weekend. Been over 100 degrees and hard to work to long at a time. Did get these 1 1/2 walls done. We are going with 10 ft walls.

Cabin from the front. Also got most of the rough-in plumbing done.

Native_NM

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

keyjoy

Looks Good!! We are South of you in MO. This heatwave is awful, if we get 4 piers poured on our day off we feel like we accomplished something :)

naturebug

My husband is the hardest working man I know and it would have normally taken him half the time it has to get this far but the heat just takes it all out of him. Work 1 hour and take a break. Can't get very far like that. We bought powdered gatorade to mix and have while working - he drinks 2 gallons a day. Our house is right in the sun. Love to at least have some clouds.

keyjoy

yea I know, we go through lots of ice water, we are mixing our concrete for our 36 piers one bag at a time in a wheel barrow, we try to mix in the shade :).
It was 105 here yesterday. We decided to forgo pier making and  bent rebar to connect to our simpson braces (in the shade). This heat is making everything take longer .

Sassy

w*  Great to see your progress!  I used to work w/a nurse who bought 180 acres in Missouri w/2 or 3 nice sized man-made ponds that were stocked w/fish.  He's a hunter & fisherman & he felt he'd found his piece of heaven - especially getting out of California!

All of you are getting the heat we usually have... we've had a really nice summer so far...  only trouble is Glenn has been in the Bay area for the past 3 months working so hasn't been able to do much around here (except yesterday having to dig up the septic & pipes to clear out a backed up system  :P - started at 5am & worked until at least noon).  He surprised me by coming home Sat eve, ended up staying for most of Monday, due to the problem, but thank God he was here, otherwise, I'd be back using the outhouse  d*

Keep us posted on your progress, glad you figured out how to post pictures.  You probably know by now, WE LIKE PICTURES!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

naturebug

We started out mixing mortar by hand but bought a cheap electric concrete mixer from Harbor Freight. It was worth every penny.
Are you building near Nixa or over in that area? We don't have any codes or even any building permits here in Hickory County but I didn't know how many counties were left in MO that are that way.

keyjoy

We are in southern Laclede County.  No codes or permits needed here. We moved to our woods 5 years ago and stayed in a tent till we got a shelter built. It was hot that summer too. :) We built a 24x24 post and beam house out of trees we cut down with a shed roof. We really messed up the floors, (didn't put the joists close enough and used 1/2 in plywood as a subfloor) When you walk through the kitchen the bed bounces.
Soooo we either had to tear the floor up and fix it or build another house, which is what we are doing.
The new house is about 100 feet back from this one. We have learned a lot and the new house will be "stout" and we aren't in a big hurry as we have a shelter and we are doing it as we can afford it. This house will become a barn/storage.

We are measuring and leveling the sonotubes as we go ( just in case it rains again). We can get a cement mixer from a neighbor pretty cheap but so far this is working.

OzarkBrandon

Quote from: naturebug on August 02, 2011, 10:05:15 AM
Three years ago we purchased a lot by the lake at Pomme De Terre in Missouri. We paid cash so we would have no loan on it. The following year we had saved enough money to install the septic and run the water.

If you don't mind asking, how much land did you get?  Also, how expensive was it for the septic and water install?  I hate asking about money, but PDT is one of the places I have been looking for land.  A lake view would be awesome, but I am tempted to settle for less of a view and more land.  Any info you would be willing to share would be appreciated!

Looks like things are coming along well.  I have work to do on the outside of the house, but 106 is hot enough to keep me inside with the AC cranking!  Good luck, and keep it up.

naturebug

Our lot is only 110 x 75. We paid $3000 for it three years ago but it does have a lake view and is in a very nice area. The home across from us is called the "lodge" and is owned by a group of bankers - has a vault in the basement. Because of that place the police patrol the area often. We were worried about the size of the lot due to the fact that we have always lived in rural areas and had plenty of land to play on. We are very happy with the size of the lot. I have my raised garden beds planned out and every inch of the place will be put to good use. There is a gardening class at Strafford, MO that we went to called "Gardening Len's Way" It is worth the time to go or at least look at his website. He is growing more food in the smallest gardening area that you have ever seen. We are going with his system since we have a small lot. To look at the lake everyday and smell the lake air is what we have always dreamed of. Think about the lake view long and hard before giving it up for more land.
We have been collecting materials for the cabin for the past 3 years and hope to have a total of about $10,000 in the cabin only (not including land or septic). We are doing this debt free.
A friend came to do our Septic system for his cost and it was about $1800. He said it would've cost about $3000 for normal people. We are on a shared well which cost us nothing to hook up to and runs us $10 a year (yes, I said $10 a year). Nice cold water with outstanding water pressure. We are located near Wheatland Park on PDT.
We live at Bennett Springs near Lebanon and it is about a 45 minute drive from our house to the lake property.

OzarkBrandon

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate your willingless to share.  I hear you, pretty hard to beat a lake view.  No chance of finding a large piece of property for anywhere near $3,000 with the availablility of water and power.  Sure helps to have friends who can help with septic and such, even so, the retail price could have been worse.  I like your debt free approach.  Keep those pictures coming!

Sassy

The lake view is priceless - I do wish we had a lake, pond or stream I could look at from the house & the yard.  We do have a couple small ponds where the spring is but that's way down the hill - I used to walk there everyday, but can't do it anymore...  With all the trees & the lake in front - doesn't look like you only have a small lot...  

That nurse I mentioned sold his house in Calif & got a really good deal on the place there.

BTW, I was in Branson last Sept - neat town...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

naturebug

My parents live in Branson and it is a neat town. Too crowded for our taste as far as living there.

naturebug

Took the weekend off. Too hot and rainy to get much done. We did get a small beam out of a house that was built in late 1890's. Power washed it.This is a hand hewn beam that I just love. The house is going to be torn down and this was preserved perfectly under the floor joist. My husband had to use the chainsaw to remove everything blocking it and this was tucked under part of the outside frame - I thought the house was going to come down before he got it out.

The beam is about 8 1/2 ft. It will be an exposed beam between the kitchen and eating area.

Notice the ax marks. I just love this thing.
Next we sanded the outside of our clawfoot tub, primed it, painted it. Did the same with the feet. Looks great now. I wish I had taken a before picture as it was really rough looking.

$50 garage sale find

I tried 3 colors before I settled on this one. Our fixtures are old-rubbed bronze and this matches perfectly.

naturebug

Worked this weekend on the cabin. Got all the outside walls up and most of the inside walls. Got the Loft joists in. This is the first thing we have ever built so it's taking us way more time to get it done than we thought it would. We are trying to do it right and not cut corners and have been happy with everything so far. We are really worried about the rafters. Wish us luck on them as we will start them in a couple of weeks.
This is a picture from the kitchen looking towards the living room and front of the cabin

This picture is taken from the corner of the living room looking towards the back of the cabin

From the kitchen looking into the dining nook - Notice the old beam. We will have a single wood slab under the window as a eating bar/computer area instead of dining table and chairs

A view of the bathroom from the hallway

Tickhill

Looking good! Don't let OJ see that tub. I got family that live in Mtn Home, Ark and friends that live in Nixa, Mo.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

keyjoy

Wow you are getting so much done!! Looking Good.
[cool]

naturebug

Thanks for the postive feedback. It sure has been harder than we thought.
Strange as it sounds, the clawfoot tub was the first thing we picked when we decided to build a cabin. We both have always wanted one. Terry has been worried to death that someone is going to steal it but they would have to take two walls out to do it and the thing ways about 500 lbs (felt like it when we had to carry it in).
Going to put OSB on the outside this coming weekend.

Barry Broome

My wife wants one of those claw tubs. They are really beautiful. I'll probably get her one some day... it would make a great anniversary present.
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

naturebug

It rained the entire weekend but we did get all the rafters up. A big thanks to Tony for all his help. We would never have been able to do it without him. Hope to get all the OSB on the outside next week and the metal roof on in the next couple weeks.

naturebug

Have been working on the house this weekend trying to prepare it for the metal roof. Got most of the osb on the outside and purlins on the rafters. Planning on finishing the osb and working on the little stuff around there next weekend. If everything goes as planned it will be the weekend of Oct. 22 when the roof is on. Can't wait for then. It will be nice when we start working on the inside for a change. Nervous about the metal roof and hoping we will have enough money to at least hire help for it. Wish us luck.
10 ft walls - the roof is not a place to be if you don't like high places (and we don't)

The following view is from near the main road

keyjoy

LOOKING GOOD!!!!!  I don't like heights either. :(
When we did the roof on this house, DH sang the "spiderman song" constantly as he was crawling around on the purlins.  :) I stayed on the ground and kept picking up the hammer when he dropped it and prayiing he didn't fall off.

naturebug

We've been finishing the last of the outside sheathing - nailed all the rafter clips on and getting ready for the metal roof. Ordering the roof today - went with "Burnished Slate" color. We will be so happy when the roof is on and we don't have to worry about the inside getting wet. Metal will be here next Thursday (Oct 20). Hope to have it all on that weekend.