Stopping smileys from moving

Started by alexsnow, December 07, 2011, 11:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexsnow

Is there a setting I can choose to turn the moving smileys to text or nonmoving ones? I can use Firefox Ad Block Plus to stop the wiggling on the page, but from then on some nuances posters are trying to get across will be missing.

MountainDon

If I understand what you are asking, you mean you'd like to stop the hammer in this one?    d*

No, there's no way I know of.

May I ask why?  If it's a concern about the moving image taking up bandwidth, slowing down things, that should not matter. The file size of the hammer-head smiley is the same size as the other smileys that have no animation, like this one  ;)  The smileys get downloaded once when you open the page. They are saved in your local cache. The animated smileys are a file type known as animated gif's, named after the file name extension.  (The hammer head is named  th_duhhh-1.gif.) The movement is built into the image file. Once it is downloaded it simply runs through the motions forever. That may use a very small amount of your computers memory, but I doubt anyone could actually measure any performance decrease because of an animated smiley.

Or was there some other reason you ask?

Glad to help out any way I can.

MD
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

alexsnow

Thanks for the response.

I'm just easily distracted by repetitive motion, I guess. It makes it very difficult for me to read or look at pictures. I literally have to block the moving image or images from my sight in order to be able to read or give a picture more than a glance.

Thank God for Ad Block Plus. Anything that moves on my page gets zapped into oblivion, never to be seen again.

So the hammer was the first to go. 

Don_P

Some forums have a "disable smileys" function. I haven't seen one on here?

MountainDon

I was looking for that as I thought the option was available. I couldn't find it. But then I had another look this morning. There is a choice to have NO smileys at all as well as to use a different smiley set. I did not look deep enough. Sorry about that and thank you for the nudge Don_P.

This is found in a persons profile. On the left sidebar find the "Modify" area. Select "Look and Layout". Near the page top will be "Current Smiley Set:" From the drop down select "No Smileys". Click the "Change Profile" button at the bottom of the page. That will remove them all. In a message with a smiley the BBC code will appear in text form.

You could also try selecting one of the other sets that are listed as available. Some of the animated gif's are unique to the forum default set so that may eliminate all or some of the animations.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Thanks for finding that option Don.  :D :D :D

For those who have turned off Smileys this is what you see. (The ascii text codes that were the original smileys.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

I would say Don that your profile picture would absolutely drive the OP bonkers. ;D

alexsnow

Thanks, everyone!

I tested with http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1499.msg140376#msg140376

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 08, 2011, 01:34:10 PM
I would say Don that your profile picture would absolutely drive the OP bonkers. ;D

I did make it disappear.