Tip on hanging siding by yourself and keeping it level

Started by Willy, December 29, 2007, 03:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

It is real hard to handle plywood siding by yourself and keeping it level. Since most of these cabins have wood foundations if you tack a level board at the bottom you can sit your sheet on it then nail it in place. This keeps it level while you put in the first few nails. Remember to start your nails allmost all the way in while on the floor then lift your rafter or beam up and hit the nail one to hold it in place. Nails make great second hands when working by yourself. Every way you can figure to help hold something the less chance of hurting yourself tring to strain while you nail the wood. When nailing a wall together on a floor tack a board to the floor to keep the wall studs from moving when nailing them to the sill plates This also keeps them all strait while nailing them. On your metal roof drill the screw holes in the sheets before you un/band them and it will keep the screws strait and make it easier to put up. Just make sure you measure first and that you don't have any hidden shorter sheets orderd in the bundle of long ones! Don't ask me why I said that!! I put one screw in each sheet to hold it first making sure they are straite then finish the job. You can adjust any out of square this way and have a better looking job when done. The other way is to keep measuring each sheet to the other side every time you put one up. By using one screw at the top you can get off the roof and work at the eves and flush each sheet and screw it down, then put the rest of the screws in. This has worked for me on many metal roofs and kept the eve edge from steping. Mark H.