permanent living in remote areas ... Pros/Cons?

Started by hnash53, November 30, 2007, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We have it all because we are trapped -- enslaved by the system.  Can't afford not to because of the consequences but don't have to like it. :(

One thing I have found is that it is a good idea to switch companies every few years.  Don't get stuck on one agent because about the time they think you are unswervingly loyal they woill start sticking the shaft to you.  Let them know you are going to shop them before each renewal.  They have a lot of latitude on pricing in lots of cases.

I have saved multiple thousands in the last two years by leaving the old company who has been greatly expanding and going for a company that didn't think they owned me and was willing to work for me.

At the old company, we were dropped to an account manager who actually hung up on Sassy because she tried to ask him questions about the account that he felt he didn't have to answer.  Very bad attitude - just wanted the money.

We now have better coverage with good companies for less money.

Most times you will get cheaper insurance if you go to independent brokers that handle insurance for multiple companies rather than State Farm, Farmers insurance Group, etc.  Most of them will shop the best rates for you.  Not a rule though so best I can say is to shop them.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MaineRhino

Good point Glenn.... ;)

Being in the insurance biz ourselves (not sales) we see it almost daily, where the agents no longer care about servicing their clients. Very often, clients will get pertinant info from us which they never received from their agents, or the agent was unable to answer. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what we can tell them, as we are not insurance agents or in any position where we can offer any binding legal advice.   :-X

Most people we deal with never thought about shopping their insurance needs, they think that the price given for certain coverage is the same at all agents.  WRONG!

Health insurance in Maine is another matter.....  No competition is a very bad thing!  [frus]

glenn kangiser

Thanks for confirming what I have learned the hard way over the years, MaineRhino.:)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hnash53

Erin, I'd probably go ahead and pay auto liability without protest even if not required by law.  It's not much money, and since motor vehicles can maim and kill, I think it's a cost that I can justify. 

What is difficult to justify is the $600-900 per month compared to the $13-15 per month for auto liability.  Fees that high are what hold us (in Desdawg's words) "hostages" to a system that is immoral.

It's my understanding that high deductible ($2500+) insurance is considerably less than $500-750 deductibles.  Perhaps....

Catastrophic illness, disease, accidents.... Oh well, is it so catastrophic that one dies?

Maybe I should withdraw that question for it might lead us even further astray.

I've really enjoyed the comments and perspectives from you all.

Happy Holydays!  Not that I'm in to "holy" anything...just a wish for a great time for all of you.

MountainDon

Quote from: hnash53 on December 11, 2007, 12:12:36 AM...that high deductible ($2500+) insurance is considerably less than $500-750 deductibles.  Perhaps....
You can find deductibles as high as $10K for those who are truly interested in strictly being covered against catastrophies. It doesn't take too much out of the ordinary to het a hospital bill to hit that amount these days. Having a $10K debt load would still be preferable to $50-60K or greater.

OMMV

Merry Christmas
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I guess I have to add my 0.02.
I have homeowners insurance on the burb house. I do not on the barn house because I can rebuild it out of my pocket if need be.

I do not have life insurance because I've already seen to it that my wife will be cared for and have a higher standard of living than if she were counting on insurance.

I do have major med. The deductible is 6,000.00. The sticky part here is that I wouldn't have it if it were only me. Fortunately, it is not. I can be irresponsible with my health and life but I cannot with my wifes. No matter if I get sick and die or if she gets sick and we spend everything on her care, it still has an catastrophic effect on her.  I won't let that happen.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on December 11, 2007, 11:17:43 AM
.... it still has an catastrophic effect on her.  I won't let that happen.
That's part of the we, the couple package. Caring and respecting each other.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hnash53

Peternap,

It may be none of my business, but I am curious what the monthly/quarterly health insurance payment is with a $6K deductible?

If none of my business, it's cool.  Just curious.

Hal ???

MountainDon

$248 for a $10K deductible policy on a female 50-60, issued through the state of NM health insurance alliance. That's been setup by the state government especially for those who are uninsurable under standard policies for whatever reason.

peternap

It's 360.00 a month Hal. That's through Anthem. I shopped it again this year and can't beat it.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Erin

BTW,  a good place to get an idea of costs is here:
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

They'll show you options for numerous carriers in all levels of coverage/decutibles/premiums and it'll already be specific to your age and location. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1