Dog Trot cabin

Started by MaryMary, November 15, 2019, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryMary

My husband and I (in our 70's) live in the rocky Ozarks in a small RV. I'd love to build a simple frame dry (no power or plumbing) wood Dog Trot cabin with wood floors on natural stone like they used to be made. Has anyone done that before? We have no building codes so I'm looking for simple plans on how to construct one so I can gauge the cost of the lumber. My plan is use one side for a bedroom, the other side for kitchen (wood stove), porcelain sink, cabinets, claw bathtub. Breeze way screened in, for summer living room. Size probably for each room 24'X24' with two tall windows on each side for ventilation. Any comments would be so welcomed. Thanks Mary

MaryMary

I can post a picture I took of one in a field, but don't know how to get it from my photo gallery to here. Tks again, Mary

Don_P

Hi Mary,
John has a pretty extensive thread on a log dogtrot he built;
https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.0

Pics need to be hosted on another photo hosting site and linked to in your post.

I think there are several people here who would be happy to help with suggestions on planning your project. You might want to sketch something and scale it, or better yet stake it out on the ground and measure it. 2 24' rooms with a dogtrot is going to be in the neighborhood of 60' longx24' wide, nothing wrong with that but that is quite an undertaking.

MaryMary

Thank You for your suggestions 😇