Newbie looking to build/get tiny home and looking for advice.

Started by bobbintb, June 04, 2019, 10:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbintb

My wife and I decided to look for an investment property but the area we are looking at has started to get more expensive in recent years so now we are also considering buying land and building a small cabin of some kind. We don't have any land yet but the place that caught our eye is in a upcoming development on and island. They have a number of lots for sale with water and power hookups ready. I'd like to get something in the works before it's too late; I have a bad habits of pussyfooting around. I don't like uncertainty and tend to overthink things or spends way too much time researching instead of making a decision. I am a very technically minded person and tend to try to be an expert in whatever I am researching.

Anyway, I want to make some quicker decisions but don't want to jump head first or under think things. Our thinking was to buy the land and build a small cabin and rent it out. I see there are plans and kits and prefabs and all sorts of things and it's all a little overwhelming. I don't have a ton of time to spend months building and as we get older we would rather spend more money to get something done than time. At the same time, I don't want something too expensive. Really, when we go to Ikea and see those 600 square foot floor models I think, "I want that." I have a millions questions really but I think just asking what advice would you give me would be a better question. What advice would you give me?

bobbintb

Forgot to mention, aside from the land we are thinking $30k max for the house.

Dave Sparks

Search through the forum here. Look at the last 100 posts. You have to decide where?
"we go where the power lines don't"