Getting Closer

Started by DaveOrr, March 12, 2015, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveOrr

Took delivery of a large load of materials to build my cabin this week.   :)
Now I just have to haul it all up to the lake & down the lake by truck and trailer before unloading onto my komatik and hauling from the ice road to my site just under 1/2 mile away. It's going to be a little bit of work but once in there I will have enough materials to have a weather tight structure up hopefully before next winter sets in.

Driving down the ice road.

You can see my truck on the road in this image from the shore of my property.

Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Redoverfarm

rick91351

You ARE correct John that is cool in fact it looks doggone cold. 

Thanks for posting this DaveOrr - To me, this is fascinating about 99.9% of us that use this forum will never be able to say we ever were Ice Road Truckers.  Hey, fill us poor 'southerners' in.    In the event of a real bad Chinook, how long do you have before the ice turns bad?  How far are you driving?  Then pulling it a half mile on a sled?  How many trips with the komatik?    Wink!! You know stuff like that.  The photos are great.  Thanks!!

Glad you have winter to do it.  We have missed the last three or four winters.  Ours have gone from thee to four foot of snow and hanging until April in a huge block of ice to like maybe a foot and a half and gone in February.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

DaveOrr

We generally don't get chinooks up this far North Rick.
The temps stay below freezing from October to April.
The drive from the highway to my lot is about an 8 mile drive up the ice road.
It's under an hour from my door to the property even during open water season when I have to take the boat.
I was travelling on the ice until late April last spring. The ice is safe for quite a while even after the approaches become impassable.
The shore is always the first to go.

I have no idea how many komatik trips it will take but I will find out. ;)
It is going to take 2 or 3 trailer loads to get the wood out there though.
I have a feeling it will take 10-20 trips with the sled to get all the wood up to the site.

More pictures to come.

Won't be heading out there this weekend by the looks of things as there is a blizzard warning in effect for today.

DaveOrr

Got my first load on the trailer and it will be heading up to the property this weekend.   [cool]
I hand loaded 11,000#'s onto the trailer single handed this week. Gonna be buff by the fall!!!   :)

rick91351

Look on the bright side Dave you will not need a gym membership..... :D ;D ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

DaveOrr

Yeah, I have already thought about that Rick.  ;D
May actually be in decent shape by the fall at this rate.

On another note I priced out the siding that I wanted for the cabin.
WAAAY more $$$ than I expected so am looking at other less expensive options.  :-\
Too bad too because it would have looked awesome and has a 3 hour fire rating.

This is what I found and liked. The hand hewn was what I was looking at.

http://everlogs.com/product_siding.php

DaveOrr

Spent 11 hours carting lumber to the site on Saturday.
Still paying for it today.   :-\

rick91351

Double and triple handling materials gets old real quick.  Hang in there!!

DaveOrr

You got that right Rick.
Still have sore muscles today.
On vacation for the next week. Gotta get the rest of my materials out there before the melt comes.
Which is looking like it's going to start next week some time.   :(

DaveOrr

Well I had last week off work and managed to get all of my lumber up to the site.
I figure I moved 25,000#'s of materials during the move.

Hoping to get a pile of insulation out this weekend and then it's pretty much wait for ice out and all of the snow to melt before actively putting all of the pieces together.   ;D

rick91351

At the risk of getting punched - what if I said GOOD JOB!!!  WOW you did yourself proud MAN!!

MountainDon

Looks likea lumber yard there.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

DaveOrr

Not bad fer an old outta shape guy EH Rick?   :)

DaveOrr

Managed to get out both days again this weekend to haul more supplies to the property.
Took out all of my salvaged rigid foam off cuts from a commercial job here in town. Have almost enough to do the entire floor. Have plenty of reclaimed fiberglass insulation to haul out still. Should have enough to end up with R45 in the floor.  :)
Also took out ladders, nails, screws, saddles to pin my beams to the bedrock, ice and water shield, roofing underlay and my Tyvek.
I'm done now until the ice goes out as the approaches are getting flooded and the portage is thawing and will become a mud bog by next weekend.

Here's a few pics from the weekend.

rick91351

Quote from: DaveOrr on April 08, 2015, 06:20:34 PM
Not bad fer an old outta shape guy EH Rick?   :)

:D  I think I resemble that remark......

Looks now like the days of mystery mud shall begin.  That era of transaction of froze harder than a rock and dryer and harder than a rock. Cant wait to see you get started again!! [cool]

Adam Roby

Wow, just getting caught up on some of these threads.  This really puts into perspective what a remote build truly is.  I guess I'll stop whining about that 1600' hike in from the road and that whopping hour and a quarter drive.  ;)

I am looking forward to the progress of this build. 

Dave Sparks

He can work at night !  He better be because we are past the solstice now and winter is coming! I have a client up in the Sierra who stays at the house all winter. The road is closed and he uses ham radio to call home. It is not too rough with 5,000 watts of tracked solar.
"we go where the power lines don't"

John Raabe

This has all been just prep work. (Whew!!) Wait 'til he gets some dry ground to work on.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DaveOrr

I'm on week 2 of my vacation now and have my temp shelter up.
Gotta keep the bugs, rain and sun off a fella. Provides a little shelter from the bears too.  ;)
If one gets through he will have to deal with Mr. Remington.   ;D

Also got my foundation layout done and my piling saddles pinned into the granite.
And have 1/2 my piers up and connected with rim board.
Hoping to have the foundation done and the floor in next week.

I lost a day early when I had to remount the shoreline end of my dock due to a large drop over the winter. The floating ramp that had 2 1/2' of water under it last fall was sitting on bottom when I installed it this spring.   :(

tommytebco

You are the king of "G it'er done"!!!

I've been watching your website every day saying "Surely it's thawed by now!!" Living in Florida, it's hard to imagine such long winters.

Adam Roby

Those posts look massive.  How are you moving them around?  I hope you are not alone up there doing all this work?

midrover170

Every time I think my off-grid build is a challenge, I look at your thread. Props to you for all this hard work.

DaveOrr

Quote from: Adam Roby on July 03, 2015, 09:24:59 AM
Those posts look massive.  How are you moving them around?  I hope you are not alone up there doing all this work?

Moving them around with brute force and ignorance!!!
No I'm not alone, I have my pooch with me but he doesn't help much.
   :)
They aren't all that hard to work with.
The biggest one of the bunch is almost 9 1/2 feet long and 8"X8".
They are good and dry so fairly light compared to fresh PT beams.
I was short ad needed one 8' and one 5' to finish off the corners. Getting those up the hill from the boat was a heck of a workout for one old fella. Took nearly 2 hours with many breaks.  ;)

DaveOrr

Got some more completed today, even though they were calling for rain all day.
FYI, we didn't get a drop!!! It did rain in town for several hours though.
Got the rest of my piers in and all the rim boards + the center boards done.

Next job is to frame in between the perimeter piers before setting my floor joists.