Tiny 8x8 cabin

Started by speedfunk, December 01, 2008, 09:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

I thought I had a thread for this all ready but for the life of me I can't find it on here. 

Overview of the project:

After we built our Firstday and bought our new property we wanted a little cabin to camp out in while we waited for the cash and to have things in order to start building.  The cabin with all the pine we just added to the interior and the cedar shakes on the outside ( the 2 major costs) is between 800-900 dollars.  It's coming out nice though.  Here's some pics I took the other day.  Keep in mind this is not done to any code.  We just had a bunch of used scrap that we managed to make work.  Here's a quick pictorial overview with the new pics I just took at the end of it.  We started Fall of 2006 so you can see how blazing fast we did this  d*

2x4 Framing all around

It stayed in Tyvek for quite a while

This cabin has 3 different types of insulation.  I can safely say this cabin is "diverse"  8)

Framed up a sleeping loft, you can even stand in it (if you 3' tall)

Used tin from another project on our old property

So this is how it looks right now .  We have hung a bunch of cedar shakes on the front.  We need a bit more on the back but it got cold lol.

From the back of the cabin where we need more shakes

Shot of the ceiling with the T+G pine installed.  Wow does it look better then before lol.  You don't even know it's made from junk!

The lower floor is getting painted and the ceiling will be left raw pine.  Reason is we used used t+g pine on the lower floor and it's all dirty and mis-matched so we wanted to cover it up.

Hopefully we can get it painted...hey maybe even today I might get some ambition and do it. 

Redoverfarm

Good use of salvage material.  You had better wait until you PU some more shakes.  New now they are about $280 a square here. 

muldoon

Thats a nice deerstand. 

glenn kangiser

hmm Wonder if it was before we made the jump to SMF forums, Jeff.  We lost some stuff and that is why we switched.  I remember it too.  Thanks for putting it back.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

Great job Jeff. I remember seeing this on the internet a while back. Glad you're here on countryplans now.

I'm impressed with your resourcefulness building this on a small budget.

speedfunk

Red: Whew.... yeah.  We have been using "under course" shakes (the stuff that's not of good quality lol)  There are a certain percent you can't use b/c they are to brittle or knotty but overall they are 8 bucks a square I think (maybe 12).  But that's what we've been doing it with. 

BK:  I'm always on a small budget :)  Full time work doesn't excite me.

Bishopknight

Paying a bank more in interest than the cost of the house doesn't excite as well me either.

Life is funny isnt it? Once I opened my eyes and saw that people were just repeating what everyone else was doing, I began to question everything.

lonelytree

Looks grand!

I built an 8X8 "cabin" this year. Not as frugal as yours, but as close as I could without losing time. Very comfortable! Warm in freezing weather with 3 people sleeping in it. It is fully insulated with OSB interior and slab and grab siding 50% complete. I need to sell a few more rubber tracks to get the shipping crates to finish. You can still see the part numbers on the siding if you look close. I built the deck with an old handicapped ramp that I removed from the AF base. Windows from craigslist. Door was damaged and marked down at Lowes. Wired for coffee pot, interior/exterior lights and 900W heater. Power from my 1700W generator.

soomb

Quote from: Bishopknight on December 01, 2008, 10:55:24 PM
Life is funny isnt it? Once I opened my eyes and saw that people were just repeating what everyone else was doing, I began to question everything.

BK and SF:  You both have made some very interesting quotes/comments in the short time I have been reading.  I continuie to be impressed.  I am about ten years older than you both and fell right into the quote above and went out got a mortgage, got a rental property, got this got that, and I am still waiting for the blissful happiness Madison Ave promised me.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

speedfunk

BK:  yeah agreed.  I've kinda always like to question things, it's just in me, but there were key moments where I open my eyes a bit more.   [cool]

Lonley Tree:  that is very cool  ;D .  I like it a lot, nice and simple :)  Do you have any inside pics on the forum or anywhere else. .  I like the idea of board and bat(?),   Sometimes installing the shakes I wonder if I will ever get done .   My friend are I were just talking about shakes.  They look nice but around details and edges I seem to have a tough time getting it to look really clean.   Maybe there's a knack for it...it awlays seems I'm spending too much time cutting each one.

Soomb:  Thanks for the nice words.  Using Debt is a amazing tool to accomplish what you want and it can trap you, it's all how you use it I guess.  When were were carrying two houses I really started to understand how debt ties you down a bit.. it was a good learning experience.  Now that we have some capital after taking some chances we are starting to rid our self  of debt permanently. 

speedfunk

So we finished the inside of our cabin.  Sure we got this house that we have to get done before winter.  However it's nice to complete something.  I made a video , check it out!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q48knuRD7GI

Now to upload some pics for Kahns book ...woot

IronRanger

Really nice job, speedfunk.  8x8 sounds small to most people, but if they've ever been in a Minnesota ice fishing house, they know how functional that much space can be.

Who's the artist playing over the video?

I can answer my own question.  The artist is Jeremy Wallace.
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

NM_Shooter

I like it, but your ladder scares me  ;D
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

speedfunk

Thanks for the kind words guys!! :)  It's nice to have a simple, humble structure to have friends stay in while here or come to find out we might be living in for a bit .   

We just received an offer on our firstday, woot!  With real estate I don't get to excited until the deal is done and cash is in my hand but we are excited.  We have a pop-up also if we need ,so between the cabin and the pop-up we should be ok for temp shelter.  We will see  [cool]

The cabin being as small as it is is very usable.  You can walk under the loft without ducking and by moving the ladder to the wall we opened up the whole room for a much more flexible space. 

As far as the ladder being scary...our decaying freedom is scary ,this is a 6 foot fall at most and is really pretty strong.  Like my good buddy ron says "ya can't be scared".

Dragonetta

Quote from: lonelytree on December 01, 2008, 11:54:25 PM
Looks grand!

I built an 8X8 "cabin" this year. Not as frugal as yours, but as close as I could without losing time. Very comfortable! Warm in freezing weather with 3 people sleeping in it. It is fully insulated with OSB interior and slab and grab siding 50% complete. I need to sell a few more rubber tracks to get the shipping crates to finish. You can still see the part numbers on the siding if you look close. I built the deck with an old handicapped ramp that I removed from the AF base. Windows from craigslist. Door was damaged and marked down at Lowes. Wired for coffee pot, interior/exterior lights and 900W heater. Power from my 1700W generator.

I'd love to see your thread.  Can you please post the link to it?  I'd really appreciate it.  :)

AdironDoc

Great thread and thanks for sharing! I can't decide what I like more, cedar shakes or board and batten. Both have a certain charm. btw.. are those kettle drums outside to scare of bear? If I heard them in the woods, the quote, "the natives are getting restless" would come to mind.. lol.

Cheers,

Doc

speedfunk

those are kettle drums or timpanis.  I traded an extra drumset i had for them.  Well worth it.  It must freak people out..  These things are loud! I bet you can hear them through the valley pretty good even over road noises. I will usually have a few beers and go and beat on them for like 30 mins.  Want to be my neighbor lol?

I like both too.  On the small cabin I think that I lean toward shakes looking a bit better becuase it seems more scaled?  Just a prefrence.  I bet its quicker to do board and bat though.   

phalynx

I was going to ask you about the timpani.  I loved playing them.  Just setting the pitch low, starting a low rumble and then pitching up would probably freak anyone out for miles.

speedfunk

Yeah as far as drums they are so fun b/c of the foot pedal.  Not to many other drums are tunable on the fly.  Its fun to use your feet constanstly creating a song with pitch es, I also play it with old drum sticks so it has more attack and boy does the stick bounce off the head so you can do some crazy technical stuff rather easily.  My head have degraded this year so i have to buy (or get cheaply) new outdoor heads. 

phalynx

That has got to be a sound in the woods..   Ah I can just imagine...  A drum, people can figure out what it is.  But, a timpani,,,it would just rumble songs.... scarily...

Gary O

I just had to resurrect this thread.
Romancing a cabin is an experience like none other, and tends to lighten the heart of the world weary.
This one is no exception.
Speed, your video is very well put together, and gave me a smile this morn that has yet to fade.
Nice work, man, nice work.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson