Dogtrot - 14x24 Little House + 14x18 Little House

Started by fritz, June 14, 2007, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secordpd

Hi Fritz, good to see you still have the desire to build another building after (almost) finishing the Dogtrot.  That must mean you had fun...

Well, I came back to to visit because I'm thinking of adding onto my shed and was thinking of doing a dogtrot type structure, so I can have the covered middle area to work on projects outside in good weather, like making screens for my screen house addition, etc. 

I'm thinking of doing a double shed roof, with the clerestory windows facing south, with a small overhang to block the high summer sun.

Glad to hear your pond is doing good, what do you have for an aerator?  Did you buy it all built or did you put together yourself?  Is it a compressor?  What size? How Much?  What kind of diffuser?  What does it cost to operate?  Sorry for all the questions ??? .. was thinking of adding one to my pond, but not quite sure if I want to trade my fountain (looks & sounds so nice) for an aerator.
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

fritz

That's what I like about the plans from here, you can mix and match so many things and come up with what fits your needs.  I use the deck all the time for building and projects. 

MY aerator seems to be doing well, I still have black muck on the bottom -- but I think it is improving.  I know there are lots of companies who sell aerators, but I bought from this man in Wisconsin and his service and products are top rate.  His Web site tells you the pros and cons of his products -- which lets you know what they can and can't do.

http://www.fishpondaerator.com/index.html

Mine is the medium  pond size.  Hope this helps!

secordpd

Thanx Fritz, great website, I've looked at many aerators, but their prices look pretty decent.  Those Thomas Ind. compressors r suppose to be pretty good.  Wish I could put a micro hydro system in to power it all....  Talked to some neighbors that live on the pond (3 of them engineers!), maybe we can work something out....  ;D

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

soomb

Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

fritz

Hi and thanks for asking.  I continue to work on interior trim (very off and on, and mostly off) and am still pleased with how a piece of trim really improves the final look or a wall. My exterior projects include replacing the lattice skirts with solid skirts and a new roof for the center breezeway.  I had lattice there, and  want a lightweight, solid material to provide some shade and rain resistance -- so i can sit outside in the rain and stay dry.

I'm sketching plans for a new cabin here -- I've decided to build a "Writer's Cottage" as a retreat for graduate students and creative types.  I'm going to located it on a corner of the property, just off the road.  I'm still working on ideas and plans -- and hope to be in the ground by April and walled in and finishing the interior mid summer.  At this time, I'm playing with a 14 x 24 foot print (Little house) and will post some floorplans and ideas as they come together.

soomb

Are you going solid roofing over he breezeway or a polycarbonate?

Thanks for the updates.

fritz

I've browsed some ideas....anyone have thoughts?  I was thinking corrugated polycarbonate.  I considered T & G 1 x 6 but since this area is supported by 16 foot 2 x 8, 24" on center, I think lighter weight material is the way to go.

The "fun" will be screwing the final piece...I need a sky crane to reach it.

soomb

fritz

Happy New Year all -- I glanced at my profile here, hard to believe more than 5 years since my first post!

Long story:  I was standing looking at the polycarb roof panels, with echos of friend's suggestions of colors in my head, when I spotted some old school corrugated sheet metal.  So thinking about putting on the skirts around the foundation and this breezeway roof, I bought the metal.  It's still a bit glossy, but I think with time, it will gain a slight patina.  Some landscaping around each cabin will help, too.

The metal roof is a tribute to the original design (see earlier in the thread) and I imagine it will have it's friends and foes.  It is nice to sit out in a gentle rain and enjoy it -- in a stronger rain....IT IS VERY LOUD.

The solid roof seems to have shifted the wind dynamics a bit for the small diamond window over the little cabin sleeping loft. In the prior two years, I've left it open in most rains and never had a soggy pillow.  After the solid roof, I've had the rain come in -- could be coincidence, or a shift in how wind flows over the structure.

I am still slowly working on interior trim.  I did find a few old barn floor boards in the barn.  These are about 80" by 26" and nearly 3" thick...So I cleaned them up, and finished them with a Dainish oil and turned two into tables.

Have a great 2011 everyone. 

soomb

germanbird

Not sure about updates to the dogtrot, but I believe fritz is hard at work on a second project on his land: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11112.0

fritz

Yes, the new project link is above and in my sig.....but, never satisfied, I decided to take the cabin kitchen "upscale" ...a dented mega fridge and a 6 burner stove for weekends when all the guests what something different for breakfast.

fritz

Redoverfarm

Fritz that puts your barn in perspective regarding the location.  Picture is worth a thousand words. ;D

fritz

I'll get some other shots this weekend, the new barn is going up just at the left edge the the above photo.  We're almost done framing the ground level and ready to move up.  I forgot how awesome the projects are here --- I started poking around the forum and getting lost in everyone's great work.

fritz

Hi All, I updated my blog with a little photo tour of the dogtrot.  You can see all the photos here
http://www.smallfarmlife.com/2011/12/18/the-dogtrot-at-two-mile-ranch-2011/

Here's a preview