Hardy planks... prone to freeze / thaw / freeze damage?

Started by NM_Shooter, August 23, 2009, 09:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Do Hardi planks absorb water at all?  I need to get a bunch this week, and don't know if I am going to have time to paint them before install.

Any danger in mounting them in a place where freeze / thaw cycles happen a lot?

Thanks,

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

n74tg

My Hardie Plank came pre-primed.  Still, if memory serves, the installation instructions say get it painted within 60 days after install to insure warranty is valid.

Now, as for water absorption.  If they are up and installed (and unpainted) I would think that any water absorbed would evaporate as they dry out.

Now, as for painting.  This stuff paints quick.  My first wall (10.5 high by 57 long) was painted with a brush in about five hours; and didn't use quite one gallon of paint.  I was amazed. 

My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

No problems with water and freezing with our Hardie - Plank siding. Most of it sat thru last winter covered with a double layer tarp and a bunch of snow. It was raised 6 inches off the ground and supported every 2 feet. Once nailed up it was painted within a week with good quality latex matte paint.

A scrap I left leaning against the shed, lower end on the ground had the bottom 6 to 10 inches soften up. But it was let there from October thru May/June.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on August 24, 2009, 07:40:54 PM
No problems with water and freezing with our Hardie - Plank siding. Most of it sat thru last winter covered with a double layer tarp and a bunch of snow. It was raised 6 inches off the ground and supported every 2 feet. Once nailed up it was painted within a week with good quality latex matte paint.

A scrap I left leaning against the shed, lower end on the ground had the bottom 6 to 10 inches soften up. But it was let there from October thru May/June.

How does the lower course of panel that was on your cabin look?  Was it mostly snow covered / wet through the spring?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

The lower course is dirty from splashing water from rainfall. I'm probably going to haul in some crushed stone to help prevent that. K doesn't want pumice there as it is too light a color.  :-\  The snow never reached the bottom course, at least it never did whenever we made it up there. The deep eve overhang keeps the snow slides of the roof away from the walls. If any drifted up in the winds we never saw it.

There is absolutely no sogn of any swelling in the lower edges of either the cabin or the shed.

The stuff painted very easy. I applied paint alomg the overlapping edges and all corners, etc. by brush. Then I roller painted the flat areas in between. Twelve inch siding made that easy and quick.

PS: I have maybe 4 to 6 lengths of the material let over.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.