New Forum Software Has Some New Features

Started by MountainDon, October 26, 2011, 06:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

There are a few things new with version 2. Some are administrative and some are for everyone.

Here's one for all.
First please note that a member can not edit their own profile until they make at least one post. That's the present requirement and it helps a little with types of spammers.

So once you've got that minimum under your belt in the member profile the left sidebar has more choices. Under the Modify section you will find "Buddies/Ignore List". Click it. This selection has always been there but it has an enhancement.

Buddies are members you may be on good terms with. When a member is listed as a Buddy when they are online their name will appear in bold face to you in the Users Online list at the bottom of the main page. Nothing new there.

The Ignore List always permitted a member to add someone they did not want to receive PM's from. Now there is an additional feature. Any member listed there will also have their posts in any topics ignored. The message field will be there, but the message that user posted will be hidden. In it's place you will see something like this...

« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:15:01 PM »
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Click on the "show me the post" and the message will become visible below. Just in case you didn't really want to totally ignore what that user had to say.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

duncanshannon

One thing I noticed that seemed to change with the upgrade.... I had my Profile Notifications setup so that Notifications were turned on for posts I created or replied to... That was not set after the upgrade.

I went back into my Profile > Notifications and checked this box:

"Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

So that seemed to get lost as part of the upgrade.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0