1 and 1/2 Story 20x30 Alberta Cottage

Started by Alberta Curt, February 24, 2008, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby.B

Hi Curt sorry I haven't got back to you sooner I haven't been on line lately. I still have not completed my ceiling in the porch area nor installed my vents (soffits).
Your cottage is looking awesome you have made some good progress.

Sassy

Wow!  Love it!  I'm looking forward to seeing the work on the inside, too  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Alberta Curt

I think Glenn had mentioned blocking the veranda joists to install soffit to.  Is this the idea?

Alberta Curt

Winter showed up this weekend at the land.  Weird thing is that 10 miles from the cabin, there isn't a drop of snow.  Started the interior......

Alberta Curt

-57 celcius today at the cabin.  WTF???

Mo

Please forgive me for complaining about 16 and sunny. Your house is beautiful, Stay warm.

Alberta Curt

Progress was slow over the winter..............

This isn't my pet dog on the driveway..........

Redoverfarm

Looking good. Maybe with the weather breaking you can make more progress,

Alberta Curt

getting close to finishing the interior pine.  Does anyone know what the drawbacks are if no coating is put on the pine?  I was thinking of just leaving it natural.

MountainDon

Quote from: Alberta Curt on May 14, 2010, 07:06:56 PM
getting close to finishing the interior pine.  Does anyone know what the drawbacks are if no coating is put on the pine?  I was thinking of just leaving it natural.

Mainly it won't stay looking that way.

Anything rubbing against it may leave marks, dirt, that may be difficult to remove. 

The wood will discolor over time. Pine will get more and more yellow if uncoated.

A good clear coat stops the yellowing. I don't like yellowing and particularly like Minwax Polycrylic.

But it is a personal choice. What you have looks nice. A clear coat will keep it looking that way.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Another option is a "soft coat" finish such as a danish oil (Watco and others). This gives a satin finish that still breathes. It can be scrubbed and renewed and will not chip, crack or scratch the way hard coat finishes do. It will slow the natural darkening of wood.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Alberta Curt

a few pics of progress inside and underneath.............

Alberta Curt

Boatz

Geez, this looks just gorgeous! I'd love to see your floor plan and what you did with the utility room/bathroom addition.