Red Iron Framed Log Cabin

Started by glenn-k, September 21, 2006, 10:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Split this off Mike and Michele's Bigger house project -- have more ffor this on later too.  Glenn

Contributing my portion to another Bigger House project -- a lakeside cabin 35 feet tall.  I am welding the moment frames for seismic bracing.

Waterproofing detail for reference - basement - using bituthane and dimpled plastic - I don't remember the name.

jraabe

Geez... that's a lot of red steel. I guess they won't have to worry about punching holes in the walls for windows! I expect they are merely exterior curtain walls hung off the steel frame. (What large commercial buildings have been doing for 100 years).

What do you think the framing package (steel work) will cost for that house?

glenn-k

Rough guess $100,000 plus or minus.  I understand it is around 5000 sf.  3 stories -  a Multi-million $ house.  The neighbor said it is supposed to take a couple years or more to build.  It is going to have rock work and big logs he said.

The work I did in two days and one more for my son to complete was supposed to take 2 welders a week and a half.  They were a bit behind so had to call in the superheroes. :-/  ;D We could have taken a lot longer but I have to remind them every so often why they need to call us. :)

They told me it was a cabin. ::)

peg_688

Your almost super enought to be a local city garbage man , they pick up two days of trash the day after a holiday. I find it hard to do two days of scheduled work in one day, those boys , and girls  ::)do it roughly 8 times a year give or take weekend holidays .

Big cabin  ::) Wonder what the house in town is like  ::)

glenn-k

I use my little bag of tricks.  Whenever I get into a job with lots of full penetration welds and backer bars removed and fillet welded underneath the full pen, I request that they let me use ceramic backers -- they peel right off then you just brush it and weld it up.  No cutting - gouging - repairing - welding again and grinding -- it is a bit anti-union though -- they dont care much for it as it cuts down on labor too much.  It is approved by the rod manufacturer but is not an AWS pre-qualified  joint.  Most engineers go for it if asked though, and it is as strong or stronger than the pre-qualified joint.  

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.