Prepping studs for wiring?

Started by MikeT, June 24, 2007, 08:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I wonder if it makes sense at all for me to pre-drill holes in my studs for electrical wiring before I plate them...

While I do not know exactly where my wiring will run, I do know that the wiring will run through studs via holes that are x" above the floor and at an appropriate distance from the edge of the stud.

Is this ever done?  Is it unwise?

Thanks,
mt

John_C

It's very common.  Pre cut 2x4x92-5/8 (or whatever)  studs come pre drilled.

PEG688

Humm I never seen wood pre drilled studs , metal yes , wood no.  Where are you located?? I never saw any in R.I. or in here in Washington state.

We bore after , not all the studs will need bored and MTL you'll need holes where they arn't and have to bore more holes .

If you can find prebores it might be worth checking about cost etc .

On another point most "I" joist come with knock outs , but no one uses them because they don't line up as they must pre punch the knock out then cut the joist to lenght so they line up up and down , but seldom are the holes the same distance from the ends of the joist .  :( Why pre punch um is what I'd like to know IF they arn't going to line up ??? :-/ :'(

G/L PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MarkAndDebbie

John C is in the beautiful state of GA.  :)

John_C

Yeppers, I'm in GA.  The pre-cut, pre-drilled studs are exactly the same price, I just looked on Lowes web site.  Most of the time the pre-cut studs are 5 or 10 cents cheaper... go figure.

PEG688

Ah see how nice Mark & debbie have that on there info on the side , Dave had a good idea there. Ga. never built there, to hot  ;D To far south for a Yankee / New Englander like me  :) Nothin wrong with the south mind ya  just to hot for me , to many bugs, cock roach's , blow flys etc,  and snakes as well  :o

Just give me a big ole bananna slug in my garden thank ya , no snakes , croc's , gator's , rattlers  etc , just snails and slugs , I'm good with that ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Slugs are good with salt. :)

I wonder why, with slugs being so allergic to salt, that they choose to live near the ocean. :-?

That used to be great fun though... :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.