What are our thoughts on this house plan.?

Started by Cyric30, June 23, 2007, 03:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

Greetings one and all
First i would like to say how much i appritiate finding this sight :)
im about to build a small home for 2 and an occastional guest
next i would like to ask many of you builders what you think of this house plan? and have any of you heard or dealt with the folks before.?

http://www.backroadhomes.com/tc24ftclassic2.html

I am a novice at house building, i have done a lot of basic carpentry in my life, But i also have several experienced carpenters who have build homes both conventional and Log to call upon for help and information if need be

I would like to build the house in the plans above with the exeption of adding a back enclosed porch (what my grandmother would call a sleeping pouch) to the design and possibly a half Bath i the loft above the full bath on the lower floor

my question are these

How complex is this house to build? maybe on a scale of 1-10.?
If this is to complex  (for me) other recommendation in this style ?
Do you see anything inherently wrong with building this home. structural or anything else?
Home will be Post & Pier in  :-?the AR. Ozarks should be ok right.?
In the Ozarks would this design work well, it seems very close to the old cabins you still see occasionaly here?

anything else you would like to add.?
please feel free to comment i would love alot of input on this it is a very big leap :)

glenn kangiser

First thing I noticed was no easy support for their plans like John has here http://www.countryplans.com/plans.html

No forum and various un-named designers for different plans.  There are millions of free plans out there with no support so like them, you may be pretty well on your own when you have a problem.  We do still help people who build on their own also, but since plans are copyrighted and we don't have them, we would only be able to help with general questions.

There was not enough detail available online to tell about the quality of the plans but most of us have seen at least some of John's plans and have seen many plans built into complete houses by their owners so we know John's have the necessary support.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

All in all it's not a complex structure.  It looks like slab on grade and if you have and codes/inspections to deal with you would need to get the foundation plans...possibly by an engineer.  In that vein I don't think the staircase would meet current code and would need to encroach more into the kitchen area.

If you are working alone that tall stone chimney would be a bear.  I've done a little stone work but I wouldn't care to do it that high up.

If you were going to add an upstairs bath you might consider a dormer.

John Raabe

Sheldon Design has been around for quite some time.

I have no reason to assume the plans shouldn't be fine. As John C. mentions cottage stairs are getting to be a problem in many code areas. I just posted a downloadable "L-shaped stair" plan to the PlanHelp.com site that can be pasted into paper plans for IRC code areas (but it takes more space).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

JRR

Chimney/fireplaces are romantic, and look great ... especially when viewed on outside walls.  But all of this is an energy waster.  May be OK for a weekender cabin, or in the very warm climates ... but for a house to be lived in thru cold winters  ... the chimney needs to come off the outside wall and be located somewhere in the interior.