John's 20x30 1.5 Story - Washington

Started by jcsforager, March 23, 2007, 11:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Well, PEG it didn't seem that could do any harm.  And I've never liked the idea of roofing over old stuff.

jcsforager

Watching the rain from the inside now.  Wanted to post some pics of our house so far. Anyone have some good resources for Solar Pannels?

http://jcsforager.myphotoalbum.com/

john

glenn kangiser

Looks great - nice job

Rain -- in the summer? :-?  What a concept. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Nice job , I like the chickens , how do you keep them safe from ole Mr Coyote??  :-/

There's one photo I do question , well maybe not the photo but the techinque, which will not C&P over for me the one where the guy in the black tee shirt is cross cutting a 2x6 using the rip fence the 2 by is about 14 " long and he's  cross cutting it down to about 9 inchs in lenght.  

How'd this work out for the guy?? :-? :-/

[highlight]

THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO ON A TABLESAW! THE POTENTAIL FOR KICKBACK IS ASTRONIMOCAL, HAND INJURY , BODY INJURY ETC ALL ARE AT RISK.

[/highlight]

IF he got away with this without a kick back he was very lucky, I'll go as far as saying you should remove this photo due to some one else seeing it and thinking " Well I saw this guy do it this way!" Of course he'd be saying it to the emergerncy room Doc :o :o

I couldn't let this pass without mentioning this . Sorry if it was offensive.

Like I said nice job all in all.    

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I think this was the picture PEG was talking about.  I also wasn't aware of the kickback potential, but can see how any uneven pressure on either side could really throw a block of wood.  Thanks, PEG.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Yup thats the one thanks Glenn .

As you can see he only has finger tip pressure with his right hand theres so many ways that block could bind and the result is a big kickback :o No way to hold it once it does, that cut is a skilsaw cut , no way should it be done on  a tablesaw unless a miter guide is used.

I know why he's doing it that way so he can get perfect  lenght blocks, but a rip fence is not the way to achieve that in this case.

Another note about tablesaws and fence's and miter guages that come with them , never use both of them for the same cut , IE the fence to index the lenght and the miter guide to push the stock thru again the block will bind between the fence and the blade.

If one wants to do that the best way is to cut a 1 inch thick block to clamp to the fence that will be behind the cut  , so you can set your fence 1" over size index the index block and when you feed the stock thru you have a 1" gap between the cut off and the fence .

Here's a photo of what I'm trying to explain about the index block ;

1 inch  Index block :  

I'm using my bigger  home made "miter guide" but the same effect could be done with the little one that comes with most tablesaws,

Why I'm using that sled is the fact that a narrow piece of ply that long and that narrow is hard to control , not enought surface area on the rip fence , so the index guide lets me use the tape measure on the fence , the index guide lets there be NO  binding pressure between the blade and rip fence , and the miter guide / cut off sled , gives me control over the stock . All done safely , if you can't do it safely you'll never "save enought time " with a dangerous cut by the time you get back from the emergency room to merit the risk.  ;)

Hope that explains my post more clearly.  

John Raabe

John & Sarah:

I just want to congratulate you (and your friends) for the terrific project you have there. As far as I can tell you have done a first cabin project with lots of soul and timeless design. You can enjoy this the rest of your life and then pass it on to the kids. Stories will be told 100 years from now so keep that photo album!

Here are a few pics from the on-line slideshow.

Hand crafted door

dormer in the 1-1/2 story roof

rafter and wall ties support the loft and give open cathedral roof elsewhere

the full length porch with log posts
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Really nice!  Looks like you've had a lot of fun while building, too!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MarkAndDebbie

Why I'm using that sled  

One comment about your pic PEG. (In case anyone sees it and wants to build a sled). I cut a pair of grooves in the front and rear vertical pieces before glueup. This lets me slide a "box" of lexan over the piece being cut so the blade is not exposed. I'll get a pic when I find my camera.

PEG688

I've seen those , ;) I know where the blade is ;) , I don't need any foggy / dusty lexan obscuring my view. ::) Notice I didn't mention guards and splitters on the saw in question ::) , just what he was doing was all :o

But hey your right , I should have one of those disclaimers "All guards removed for picture clarity"   ;D ;D

jcsforager

Thanks for the input. We have invested in a chop saw so any further blocking is usually done on this. Good to be aware of the kickback on the table saw.  We are getting the rest of our siding on this week and then work can begin on the inside.  We have purchased VG bamboo hardwood flooring.  On sale in
Seattle at Bamboo Hardwoods for $1.99 SQ Ft! Would it be advisable to put down a foam or cushioning pad between the bamboo and the sub floor?  I was told it would deminish sound but wasn't sure if this was standard procedure or not for installing hardwoods?

PEG688

Is your Bambo solid Bambo or a engineered wood / floating floor?  If it's afloating floor you should use a recomeneded for it pad.

If it true Bambo 3/4" thick ,which I never seen , you could use whats called Red Rosen paper , or the brown builders paper they sell at the lumber yard. Thats what you should use under  Oak / Maple / Jatoba  etc etc T&G soild wood floorings.

So what ya got?      

MountainDon

Re the table saw No-No. I did that once when I was in my teens, knew everything and thought my Dad didn't....  I was lucky and just received a bruise on my stomach.  

I heartily recommend the inch block or even better yet a good chop/mitre saw with a cutting length stop for that kind if stuff.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.