Truss Calculators

Started by Medeek, March 12, 2013, 06:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

The license registration module was causing some problems in isolated cases so I've released a sub-rev. 2.1.1b to address that issue.

If you are trying to enter in your serial number and it does not appear to take, first verify that you are not entering in any leading or trailing white spaces if that does not solve the problem you may be encountering the issue at top, in that case download the latest version which should address the issue fully.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Version 2.1.2 - 12.18.2017
- Enabled vertical and angled heel blocking within the advanced options for truss roofs.

If you choose to enable vent holes the heelblock menu will prompt for the hole diameter.  The vent hole algorithm will place vent holes in the heel blocking per the truss spacing:

< 12 in. = 1 vent hole
< 16 in. = 2 vent holes
16 in. or greater = 3 vent holes

Let me know if this makes sense, I can always modify it to meet any criteria.  If this sort of thing varies a lot per locale I can also make it more user definable.

Medeek

This type of heel blocking is very typical in my locale (Western Washington State):

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e1a1a1de-b44d-4f0a-af0a-8954bb00f44c/Heel-Blocking-of-a-Gable-Roof

Don_P

How does that work with the insulation baffle unless the holes are at the upper edge? It looks like that would be wind washing into the insulation rather than over it. Do you use button louvers in each hole or screen backing, or?

Medeek

I've been thinking about adding in the option to show H1 ties for rafters and trusses:

I've seen them mounted both on the exterior and the interior with the flanges facing both inward and outward, four possible configurations.  Any preference on how these are typically installed.  I'm sure there is probably not much call for these but it isn't a big deal to add in the option for those that would like to use it.

I am currently featuring Simpson Strong-Tie hardware in the Truss Plugin, not because I am specifically endorsing their products or the brand but because that is  what I am most familiar with and their products are readily available in the US and Canada.  Mitek also makes comparable hardware and probably has better availability outside of the US and Canada.

Medeek

Quote from: Don_P on December 19, 2017, 09:47:17 PM
How does that work with the insulation baffle unless the holes are at the upper edge? It looks like that would be wind washing into the insulation rather than over it. Do you use button louvers in each hole or screen backing, or?

I agree the location of the holes seems problematic in my opinion.  However, this is very typical construction in Western Washington, I guess there is little to no insulation at the eaves, not very good for cold climates since it creates a thermal bridge at the eaves.

Don_P

I've applied them inside and out. The drywall crew will talk to you if they have to go over them inside. Correctly they are outside to avoid a plate rolling problem in the load path which follows the outside. I believe they are also correctly installed as you show, framing to framing. However, I like to have the walls sheathed and braced prior to raising the roof so typically they are applied as we box the soffits. We use the twisted straps most here.

Medeek

http://design.medeek.com/resources/pluginvendors.html

List of material suppliers and vendors featured in the Medeek Truss Plugin.

Medeek

The last few days I've been spending some time tightening up the code for the attic truss module.  I will be adding in the heel wedge and slider option for raised/energy heels for this truss type as well as bringing it up to speed with other options.

If I get ambitious I will also add in gable end trusses and plates. 

Medeek

Version 2.1.4 - 01.20.2018
- Completed energy/raised heels for attic trusses (2 variants: wedge and slider).
- Added floor sheathing and attic gypsum for attic trusses.
- Created a separate HTML menu for advanced options of attic trusses.
- Enabled gable end trusses for attic trusses.
- Hurricane ties enabled for attic trusses.

The gable end trusses for attic truss sets currently do not have any vertical studs as of yet, however the actual truss component is unique and different from the common attic trusses.

I also need to add in some logic for the gable end wall framing which is still absent.  I am curious if anyone has experience or examples of this framed out, do you use a single or double top plate?  I don't see a reason to use a double top plate in this situation.

Naturally the gable end wall may involve some windows or doors so there will be some overlap with the wall plugin, I am still thinking about how best to integrate the two plugins.

Medeek

Had to take a break from programming for a few days because of family reasons (ie. medical emergencies), sometimes life happens.

The break though has let me take a step back and reconsider some of the items on my various "todo" lists. 

I'm beginning to realize that the plugin has quite a following in locations other than the US so it is imperative that the metric menus are fully up to speed with all of my imperial menus and options.  I will be going back through my code and checking all of the metric menus to make sure that they are up-to-date and fully functional.

Medeek

Bill Allen sent me this model today, and gave me permission to post about it.  The structure has the following assemblies:

(3) attic trusses
(2) common trusses
(1) mono pitch truss
(1) scissor truss
(1) tail bearing truss
(3) valley sets
(1) gable roof rafter set

I was really quite impressed by the complexity of the model and the various roof lines.  This model is just one of a number of iterations.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/8210d003-2495-4d59-b68b-f6210af54dad/Attic-Truss-3

Medeek

Slightly better render of the roof Bill Allen put together:

Don_P

I hope the family medical emergency is ok.
Very impressive roof! I downloaded and rolled around a little bit. The only thing I noticed, switch on the roof sheeting and look at the outside valley formed by the two attic truss roof planes, right at the bottom of the valley it needs a little work to close that in, about 3 o'clock in the image in your last post. He did quite a nice job with a very complex roof.

Do you know what happens with your work with regards to the fee only Sketchup that seems to be on the horizon. Is everything going to become fee only?

Medeek

SketchUp Make 2017 is still available for free and will be available into the foreseeable future.  I am quite disappointed with Trimble's decision to get rid of the free version and try to replace it with a web based browser version (with no plugins).  I am hoping they will reconsider their decision and offer the Make version even if it means a nominal fee for its usage.

Medeek

I've had an ongoing issue with Mac users who are running SU2018.  I still have not determined the underlying cause but when the user enters in their serial number it will not save. 

With SU 2018 the .plist file is no longer relevant and I think this may be why the plugin is having problems saving the serial number. 

The current workaround is:

For Mac latest OS, you hold down the option key and then click GO menu. The Go Menu displays.
In the Go Menu there is a menu item named "Library"

Click on Library and the hidden library folder opens.

Then you can access application support, SketchUP2018/Sketchup/Plugins/PrivatePreferences.json.

OpenPrivatePreferences.json in BBEdit, add the license number and replace the word "TRIAL",  then save your changes and open SketchUP 2018 and check the plugins license status in the global settings.

I am currently working on a more permanent resolution for this problem.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused some of our Mac users and I hope to role out a resolution with the next version release.

Medeek

Version 2.1.4b - 01.28.2018
- Added a graphical user interface for (metric) advanced options of truss roofs.

Medeek

I've been making some progress on the advanced options for the gambrel attic truss.  Since this type of roof has three different pitches it requires an entire rewrite of the advanced roof options module.

I've got the floor sheathing, fascia, rakeboard, roof sheathing and wall sheathing and cladding completed and working, see below:

The items still remaining are:

- gutters
- roof cladding and ridgecap
- heelblocking
- outlookers
- gypsum

I am still debating on how best to handle the gable wall framing, same scenario for regular attic trusses, I may just wrap that into the upcoming wall plugin, I'm not sure yet.

Even though this truss type is quite specialized it seems to also be quite popular hence my efforts to bring it up to speed with the common and attic truss.

I am slowly trying to bring each truss type up to the level that the common truss type is and have all applicable advanced options available.

I have decided to eliminate roof returns for the gambrel attic truss type for now, at some later date I may entertain adding that feature in for this truss type.

Medeek

Knocked out the update to the cladding and ridge cap last night. I've released 2.1.4d so that everyone can test out the advanced options.

The following advanced options (gambrel attic) must be turned off currently:

- gutters
- gypsum
- heel blocking

Medeek

All of the remaining advanced options (gutters, gypsum, heelblocks, outlookers) are now in place for the Gambrel Attic Truss, at least as many as I am going to attempt right now.  I still need to figure out structural outlookers for this truss type so that permutation of the outlooker option will be disabled for now.

Also note that for this truss type the heelblocking is only allowed to be vertically oriented, however I am willing to entertain angled heel blocks if someone can provide some form of documentation showing how they would be installed in a non-vertical orientation.

I have a bit more tidying up to do with the new Html menu for this truss type and then I should be able to roll it out tomorrow or this weekend.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/88926fae-ba94-4bc9-94ea-b4fa4d726eb0/Medeek-Office-12

Medeek

Version 2.1.5 - 02.16.2018
- Added floor sheathing and attic gypsum for gambrel attic trusses.
- Added roof cladding, sheathing and ridge cap for gambrel attic trusses.
- Created a separate HTML menu for advanced options of gambrel attic trusses.
- Enabled gable end trusses for gambrel attic trusses.
- Enabled hurricane ties for gambrel attic trusses.

Medeek

The crow's beak for the gambrel attic roof has been on my todo list for about a year and a half now.  Grateful that I was able to somehow find the time to put this one together tonight.

The projection of the crows beak and the length along the rake can both be set by the user.

I will roll this out tomorrow as 2.1.5b once I've finished testing it.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/08d071ff-0c81-4ab1-b3c3-b04a59748212/Gambrel-Garage-with-a-Crows-Beak

Medeek

I've added in thumbnails to the sheathing tab of the global settings so the user can preview the wall and roof cladding materials:

Medeek

This barn is very similar to the one we had at our first farm in Terrace B.C. Canada:

Foundation was created with the foundation plugin.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/6f8e3035-06d1-4a56-9912-bb46e18ce7fe/Barn-2

Medeek

The thing I find very interesting with the gambrel roof is the two pitches, whereas with your typical gable roof you only have one pitch and each side of the roof is simply the hypotenuse of half the span  and the height of the peak. 

With a gambrel roof you have the two legs of the roof and the two pitches and an infinite number of possible combinations and hence a large variety in the shape of the gambrel roof. 

Ultimately this led me to create the HTML/SVG preview  panel so that the user can play with the various parameters until the desired gambrel shape is achieved.  I believe this is where the real power in this plugin in manifest, in situations where an architectural element can be realized by incrementally adjusting parameters within the user interface.

A common truss is much more simpler than the gambrel but a similar preview screen would be helpful in my opinion.