would enchilada plan kit help for this app??

Started by tsmart, June 13, 2008, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmart

imagine a two story 14 by 32 builders cottage, intersected right in the middle with another 2 story 14 by 32 builders cottage.  You would end up with a two story cross shaped building with intersecting gables.  This is what I need to investigate.
One of the four facets of this two story building would be a two story deck.  Could I get where I want to go using the Enchilada plan kit?

My first post here, I am studying everything....

Redoverfarm

tsmart  w* to the board.  I am sure someone more familar with the plans will pick up on your post and give you an anwser.  Where would you be building this at?  There are quite a few members and I am sure someone has crossed this path before. If not I am sure you will get the guidance if you plan to go ahead with it.  Good Luck.

John

glenn kangiser

I bet you could at least get a 1 1/2 story out of it by extending the studs.

Since you are planning to ue John's plans I'll move this to plans support where he may find it sooner an point you to the appropriate package.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I'm pulling up the Builder's Cottage plan (part of the Enchilada set - an upgraded 14x24 Little House) to check out the structural system.

It would take very little modification to make this one story plan into a two story. It has 2x6 platform framing so plenty of beef there. You do need to upgrade the foundation from a 6" stem wall with a 6x12 footing (one-story) to an 8" wall with a 8x16 footing (two-story). Then you can use the full span floor joists and build two floor systems rather than the one. If you are doing two level decks you can oversize the deck footings in the same way and stack these on top of each other too. Use 45ยบ angle braces to stabilize free standing tall posts. I have used 6x6 posts for the porches and decks so these are fine for two stories.

This would be an interesting project with lots of extra space and privacy in a still small house. A 6'-6"x8' U-shaped stair somewhere in the center would give good access to all eight bays of the house. Each bay could have a deck that provides a outdoor connection to another bay.... [cool]

Love to see what you come up with. 8)

Here's a simple layout for the stair;
None of us are as smart as all of us.