bracing on non bearing walls

Started by Mike Teskey, July 27, 2005, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Teskey

For my 12 x 16 construction shed/builder's cabin, I have the opportunity to put in a 6 foot slider for the door on one side plus possibly a 2' x 6' window vertically next to it-- on the 12 wall. I like the idea of this much light, but I don't know if it is advisable on a non-bearing wall.  Thoughts?  If ok but with alternate bracing, what do you recommend if the foundation is the pier-post system for your tiny house , e.g no ability to use Simpson stab bolts as tie downs.

Thanks,
mt

PEG688

Go for it . Use one header a dbl 2x10 or 8 span over both door and window , back frame the trimmers , dbl 2x4 / 6 between the door and window ,  :) And your  8) IMHO , HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

You would have an over 8' wide opening in a 12' long wall leaving something less than 2' on each side for bracing. This may or may not meet your local code for bracing.

However, you can make those little walls quite strong:
• Use a continuous header as PEG suggests and then sheath the outside with full sheets of 1/2" ply starting from each corner and cutting out the opening so the ply wraps over the header.
• Use plywood on the inside of the corner and sheath the interior of that long wall in the same way. Use lots of nails and maybe construction adhesive. You have now built a box beam out of the wall.
• Have a good section of sheathed wall on each short wall.
• The floor system will spread out the weight over the beam and foundation posts.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Mike Teskey

Okay, I can do that.

Re: the plywood bracing (both interior and exterior)

I have T1-11 that I was planning on using as my shearwall and bracing in one.  Will that still work?  Also, since some of my sheets are 4 x 10, should I simply run the height to the full ten and cut it along the gable line.  That way I would have a larger area of plywood acting as a shearwall-- rather than a skinny L shape, it would be a somewhat taller and fatter L shape.... Make sense?

John Raabe

Yes, you can use the T1-11 as the structural sheathing and running it up and over the top of the header from either side will make the shear of the assembly stronger. Use glue and lots of nails for cheap insurance.
None of us are as smart as all of us.